• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
This is not the place for it but Sendit has his head happily buried in the sand along with NFJ and a very big percentage of the rugby establishment in Australia. The pathways are and have always been very open for those coming through the private school system. We need to continue to take steps to open them further to those from all walks of life that may be interested in playing the game. The NRL and AFL have done a much better job in this regard. Rugby Australia can do more.

Thanks for that Blow, the pathways do need work 100% not arguing against that

Nothing about accessibility to pathways related to race though, financial sure, geography definitely, but not race and it shouldn’t matter what race someone is for us to give a damn about getting them involved in the sport

Also very unsure how Derpus can argue against saying at a basic level everyone has accessibility to rugby and rugby pathways - Literally the definition of club rugby

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Because its absurd.

Race, geography, socio-economic status are all related. How many clubs are there in Western sydney eh? Rural regions with a high proportion of aboriginal folk?

Is it even realistic to pursue rugby as a career through club alone? Very much doubt it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I saw an interesting post on FB the other day that got me thinking, does it actually matter that people of a certain minority aren’t prevelant in our game? There’s many sports where there are disproportionate participation numbers based on race

I believes it matters. I feel confident in saying a great many others do.

I also feel confident we would be in a better shape in every respect if had better indigenous representation/engagement.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Refusing to play, or watch, the Springboks when they were all white was divisive. Correct?
Not selecting black players because they were black would be the divisive part. However they were barred from international sports participation while they had that policy, and allowed back in when they removed it, so I don’t think it went unnoticed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Like most of the posters here, the majority of players are in the cities, there actually aren't very many aboriginal players in cities. As far as the regions go, I have been involved with several country clubs, either playing for or against them, where there are aboriginal players and I have never witnessed any discrimination, in fact they always seem to be accepted and given a fair go like any other player. Whether they are good enough to make the rep team is a different matter.

I believes it matters. I feel confident in saying a great many others do.

I also feel confident we would be in a better shape in every respect if had better indigenous representation/engagement.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think you'll always have particular groups attracted to particular sports for a variety of reasons. We want as many people watching and playing rugby as possible. Why not make a gesture (taking the knee), along with doing something with a bit more substance (list of options too extensive to name), if it means achieving our goal?

I always valued the culture of our sport. Players weren't/aren't perfect, but you didn't read about them glassing their girlfriends or putting peanut butter on genitals. Personally, I think acknowledging racial inequality (and homophobia before that) should be a part of that. Taking the knee keeps the conversation alive, and if nothing else, encourages some self-reflection. Lest we become like the US.

Anyone who thinks there are no politics in sports is delusional. Who says it has to be a bad thing. I'd say Australia has bern enriched by Adam Goodes and his stand.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I recall back in the early 80's in Armidale there as some kind of internal blow-up in the local aboriginal Rugby League team (Narwan) and a group of them came and played rugby with us at Armidale City, they were really welcomed and became part of the social fabric of the club. Unfortunately, there have been very few aboriginal players involved in other country clubs I've been associated with. The principal reason seemed to me to be social, their friends and family all played league so they did. Having said that, there was certainly plenty of passive discrimination and massive social disadvantage. To deny that is completely delusional.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep, I’ve said it on another thread. Indigenous communities have much strong cultural links to League and AFL. Whether those links came about because of discrimination from Union, better efforts to spread the game from the other codes or historical accident is something that could be argued about no end (obviously it’s going to be some combination). The more pragmatic issue is how do we try and spread the game to communities with strong cultural links to other codes. I’m sceptical that half-arsed grass roots approaches like running a few clinics really do much to spread the game. With no current Indigenous players near the Wallabies my suggestion would be being prepared to pay overs for an Indigenous NRL player. There’s a particular young high profile Taree boy I have in mind but he comes with a lot of baggage.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep, I’ve said it on another thread. Indigenous communities have much strong cultural links to League and AFL. Whether those links came about because of discrimination from Union, better efforts to spread the game from the other codes or historical accident is something that could be argued about no end (obviously it’s going to be some combination). The more pragmatic issue is how do we try and spread the game to communities with strong cultural links to other codes. I’m sceptical that half-arsed grass roots approaches like running a few clinics really do much to spread the game. With no current Indigenous players near the Wallabies my suggestion would be being prepared to pay overs for an Indigenous NRL player. There’s a particular young high profile Taree boy I have in mind but he comes with a lot of baggage.
I don't know if it's cultural. Until we became professional it was a natural progression to follow the money on offer from NRL or AFL because of the socio-economic discrepancies that existed then, as they do now. Since we've become professional the elite school pathways has become the primary way to progress, which isn't an option for most indigenous families unless they get scholarships. When I played in the NSW CHS comp in the 70s they were throwing up players like the Ella's etc. Not many State schools play Rugby anymore. There's also a lot more options in the other codes to be professional as if you don't get a contract with one of the 5 professional franchises, you don't get paid much

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't know if it's cultural. Until we became professional it was a natural progression to follow the money on offer from NRL or AFL because of the socio-economic discrepancies that existed then, as they do now. Since we've become professional the elite school pathways has become the primary way to progress, which isn't an option for most indigenous families unless they get scholarships. When I played in the NSW CHS comp in the 70s they were throwing up players like the Ella's etc. Not many State schools play Rugby anymore. There's also a lot more options in the other codes to be professional as if you don't get a contract with one of the 5 professional franchises, you don't get paid much

Exactly, I was going to say something similar. It's also interesting to note that AFL is the main winter sport at the elite schools in all states except NSW and Qld. If league was never 'invented' then rugby would be in a similar situation to AFL, with respect to being a game for everyone.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I also think regos for league and Afl are cheaper. I think rugby chose the ellas as much as they chose it. If they’d been bigger they would’ve made Rabbitoh rep teams.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’d imagine Horton was there as a development player. Would he have been 4th choice. He Could’ve been playing club rugby instead

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’d imagine Horton was there as a development player. Would he have been 4th choice. He Could’ve been playing club rugby instead
You could say that about the entire back half of the squad. But presumably some of those blokes were going to get a run v the Argies, so is he injured or did he get dropped?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope somebody is having a close look at Eastwood player Ed Craig (played a huge game on Saturday, think he was still on the field at the end of 100 minutes - whatever, he kept a struggling scrum together, and was great with ball in hand all day. His throwing was good too); also Tane Edmed.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I hope somebody is having a close look at Eastwood player Ed Craig (played a huge game on Saturday, think he was still on the field at the end of 100 minutes - whatever, he kept a struggling scrum together, and was great with ball in hand all day. His throwing was good too); also Tane Edmed.

Interesting that Craig was with the Reds pre Covid but then wasn’t in the squad for Super Rugby AU and instead the Reds chose Nasser.

It could just be a quarantine thing but I thought it was odd as Craig looked solid to me and is only 24. Anyone have mail on why the Reds didn’t keep him?

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Ed Craig and Tane Edmed might be good players, but they're a world away from the 2020 wallabies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

I'd say the Waratahs would be.