• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
At that height Setu Uru is similar to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (1cm shorter?) who is frequently pushed to 6 in the expectation that he does not have enough height for the row. Would we want two rowers in this bracket?

OTOH I see that Setu is taller than Brad Thorn who is possibly one of the best “engine room” locks in recent history.

Give the bloke a shot.
It’s good to point out the Maro Itoje is 195cm

Wilson

David Codey (61)
At that height Setu Uru is similar to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (1cm shorter?) who is frequently pushed to 6 in the expectation that he does not have enough height for the row. Would we want two rowers in this bracket?

OTOH I see that Setu is taller than Brad Thorn who is possibly one of the best “engine room” locks in recent history.

Give the bloke a shot.

At super level he is absolutely tall enough. As long as you have one out and out lock I don't think there's too much harm in running a backrow/lock next to them or off the bench. Might be a different prospect at test level of course, but that's not a big deal here. Either way he's a couple of inches taller than Angus Scott-Young and Tualima, both of whom we used at lock this year and as you say he's as tall or taller than plenty of other professional locks. He looks to have really bulked up during his time in the bubble too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s good to point out the Maro Itoje is 195cm

Like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) Itoje is considered a lock/6. To hold position he has to be very good. And he is very, very good. If Setu is anything close we are on a winner.

At super level he is absolutely tall enough. As long as you have one out and out lock I don't think there's too much harm in running a backrow/lock next to them or off the bench.

And there is the issue.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Damn, Vunivalu scored a try in the GF last night that I don't think any of our current players could score. Genuinely remarkable.

about 3:30.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the intercept and run for 80m one? He did some very good things last night, but that one is one that I think most of our outside backs could have (and should have) scored.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Now comes the unsettling time where we wait for him (Vunivalu) to actually turn up to Ballymore!!

He’s said all year that he’s committed to the Reds but with next year Super Rugby still not sorted and the bond that winning a Premiership comes with, I’m not going to celebrate until I see him in Red.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
the intercept and run for 80m one? He did some very good things last night, but that one is one that I think most of our outside backs could have (and should have) scored.

I only saw the highlights, but his leap, recover then acceleration was what impressed me. Rarely do I see an intercept that begins in a stumble and finishes it.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Just watched the highlights. I reckon Danugu would be the only one who'd score that. CFS would have done his hammy with 15 metre to go and Jock and Bryce don't have the pace.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just watched the highlights. I reckon Danugu would be the only one who'd score that. CFS would have done his hammy with 15 metre to go and Jock and Bryce don't have the pace.

There was a pretty damn similar try in the Premier Colts Prelim Final earlier in the day. Last minute to win the game. Running straight for 80m should be a given. I think Filipou, Daugunu, Petaia and Campbell at the very leastn would have scored that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There was no one near him after he beat the first tackle attempt (which was piss).... if you are a winger and you can't finish that get the fuck off the wing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Now comes the unsettling time where we wait for him (Vunivalu) to actually turn up to Ballymore!!

He’s said all year that he’s committed to the Reds but with next year Super Rugby still not sorted and the bond that winning a Premiership comes with, I’m not going to celebrate until I see him in Red.
A brilliant player to be sure. But a million a year on a winger? wouldn't be the end of the world if he pulled out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A brilliant player to be sure. But a million a year on a winger? wouldn't be the end of the world if he pulled out.

I think it's probably the opposite to league where fullbacks get paid way more than wingers and we probably should be spending more on top wingers than fullbacks.

If he turns out as good as Koroibete it's probably a good get.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Respectfully disagree. He's a standout NRL player in his prime (will be 25 when he arrives at the Reds) and fully developed scoring ability is always needed. Would you pay Caleb Clarke $1M a season? I daresay yes. Not saying Vunivalu is as good as him but nothing saying he isn't either at this point, just unproven in union.

Not to mention all the intangibles he comes with coming from the Storm and judging by his emotion last night after winning, he seems to be a great teammate. I have said this exact thing on here before but it's not often Bellamy specifically calls out players he wants to stay, they produce so many guns, but he sounded honest when he said they'd love to be keeping Vunivalu.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All fair points. If he pulled out the Reds could fling that cash at a tight forward, particularly a lock (Arnold or Skelton for example). Might be a better outcome?

I don't think the Reds are really lacking strike power at the moment (it's actually going to be an embarrassment of riches once Vunivalu joins).

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I would have thought the Reds have a couple of spare dollarydoos under the bed after Rodda, Hockings and Lucas bailed. At least Rodda would have been on big coin and I think Hockings would be making a decent wage, Lucas probably not in that league.

The Vunivalu deal was 'done' before those three jumped ship so I imagine that means they'd factored having the other three still on the books/money to re-sign them if needed. Of course no one really knows what the financial state of the game will be in 2021 with all the rumors of squad size cuts etc.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force need a winger so if reds reneg on Vunivala I am sure force would sign him - and would rather he be in another oz rugby side then go back to league