• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
it is not so very surprising that they value the tests, though it is good to see it confirmed, even if by inference. Bigger and more important question how 9 values the Pro level/Super/TT/Domestic games. This question seems to boil down what sort of free access is available.

I go with the desire to see the rugby on the primary channel while, through gritted teeth, acknowledging any secondary channel is superior to open access (limited) Kayo. And both better than no FTA.

Suspect our negotiations should be on the promotion - which needs to target the primary channel.
Yep key negation point has to be having the one super rugby Saturday game televised on main channel _ suspect nine would be negotiating time slots for Saturday game as well. Ideally want prime time but suspect may have to settle for afternoon slot for Saturday gsme

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep key negation point has to be having the one super rugby Saturday game televised on main channel _ suspect nine would be negotiating time slots for Saturday game as well. Ideally want prime time but suspect may have to settle for afternoon slot for Saturday gsme

I doubt that any FTA channel would bid for rights if they were contractually required to show the game on the main channel.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If it goes to Ch 9 I'm going to assume that a degree of common-sense would apply. For example the programmers would know that NSW v Qld is an opportunity to get some casuals to tune in, and they should put that one on the main channel, and promote the fuck out of it. Force v Rebels (using this year as a guide) is not likely to be a winner no matter how much they plug it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If it goes to Ch 9 I'm going to assume that a degree of common-sense would apply. For example the programmers would know that NSW v Qld is an opportunity to get some casuals to tune in, and they should put that one on the main channel, and promote the fuck out of it. Force v Rebels (using this year as a guide) is not likely to be a winner no matter how much they plug it.
This will be the concern for teams like the Force and Rebels, if Ch 9 are dictating which games are broadcast on FTA as they do with the NRL, then the FTA coverage will be weighted towards the teams with the largest audience, the Reds and Waratahs. This has ramifications for the sponsorship exposure at the other teams getting less air time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I doubt that any FTA channel would bid for rights if they were contractually required to show the game on the main channel.
Agreed, but they may be able to obtain some assurances by including a clause which states ‘x’ amount of games are broadcast on the main channel in QLD/NSW/ACT throughout the season. They may not be able to get every game broadcast, but they should at least have few clauses which guarantees a certain level of exposure.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Agreed, but they may be able to obtain some assurances by including a clause which states ‘x’ amount of games are broadcast on the main channel in QLD/NSW/ACT throughout the season. They may not be able to get every game broadcast, but they should at least have few clauses which guarantees a certain level of exposure.

That's not going to happen. If the NRL couldn't negotiate that, Rugby won't be able to either. Nine will broadcast whichever game gets them the most viewers. They're a business, not a charity.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's not going to happen. If the NRL couldn't negotiate that, Rugby won't be able to either. Nine will broadcast whichever game gets them the most viewers. They're a business, not a charity.

What’s not going to happen? Pretty sure NRL know how many of their games are getting broadcast on the main channel, In qld and nsw at least

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This will be the concern for teams like the Force and Rebels, if Ch 9 are dictating which games are broadcast on FTA as they do with the NRL, then the FTA coverage will be weighted towards the teams with the largest audience, the Reds and Waratahs. This has ramifications for the sponsorship exposure at the other teams getting less air time.
Well at least those games would be on Stan

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
They still run a rugby show and show the games live and have them on watch in hotels and club contracts.

I have bagged fox for close to 20 years, but equally I acknowledge what they do right as well.
Fox sports has not had a mid week rugby show in 2 or 3 years now, barely done a pre season launch show for viewers in a couple of years. Have not been doing much pre or post game stuff.

It's time for a change

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Christ - i thought id seen some one way reffing in the bled. If thats the best league can offer up, theres some ground to be made.

Yep. It was the first game of league I've watched for some time and I was shocked at how poor it was. For a showcase game it wasn't great and there was more than a hint of giving the Panthers an arm chair ride to try and keep the game close in the second half.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Yep. It was the first game of league I've watched for some time and I was shocked at how poor it was. For a showcase game it wasn't great and there was more than a hint of giving the Panthers an arm chair ride to try and keep the game close in the second half.

Nope it wasnt the best game and you get that with GFs some are great, some not so much, same with any game really.

Big thing was the atmosphere wasn't as good due to covid and seating.

What would be great for rugby league is a GF without the storm / chooks or to a lesser extent manly in it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep first league game outside of orgin I watched for a while - got bored and switched off at 50
Minutes for same reasons found live games boring as all players lined up and lacks any variation like rugby or Afl.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I saw an ad tonight for the State of Origin on 9 - they do self marketing and cross promotion very well. Advertising the Bledisloe during SOO or NRL finals opens up a heap of potential new viewers...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
just like the 2020 Shute Shield GF with Gordon and Eastwood - 2 old clubs who haven't played each other in a final since 1976. Gordon haven't made a GF in 22 years! So refreshing and great for the game.

I was there in '76. We actually scored first. That is the only time we have played them in a Grand Final. They have won 8 premierships since WW2, we have won 6 since 1949 when we entered the comp. Gordon were powerhouses back then, we had a dismal record against them for many years.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
just like the 2020 Shute Shield GF with Gordon and Eastwood - 2 old clubs who haven't played each other in a final since 1976. Gordon haven't made a GF in 22 years! So refreshing and great for the game.

yeah seeing gordon is always better then seeing sydney uni...

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Yep first league game outside of origin I watched for a while - got bored and switched off at 50
Minutes for same reasons found live games boring as all players lined up and lacks any variation like rugby or Afl.

ehhhh the sychophancy from some union fans towards AFL whilst, the AFL takes over your schools and your previous heartlands is sad.

Atleast back in the day there was an appreciation between the rugby codes.

I am not sure if your post is serious ie you would like a response re the variations in league or its more of a misguided call to arms re the enemy of my enemy.

In any sport the variations are subtle and the closer you follow the game you will appreciate them more. Any sport can be dumbed down in a criticism, league, union, basketball, AFL, etc.

Like the comment criticism of AFL people towards union - game full of bum sniffers, if you are thinking that AFL people appreciate that union can be a contest of territory at times as AFL can be, I think you are misguided, most AFL people follow their game like a cult and union or league doesn't mean shit to them, its just when can those NSW/QLD /ACT territories get in line and worship the one true religion AFL.

Lol, re reading my response I have ranted far to long, enjoy your AFL though champion ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
ehhhh the sychophancy from some union fans towards AFL whilst, the AFL takes over your schools and your previous heartlands is sad.

Atleast back in the day there was an appreciation between the codes.
So on the one hand you are disparaging him for appreciating AFL and on the other disparaging him because there is no cross code appreciation these days?

What in the actual fuck are you raving about?