• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Him wanting to play 10 means the coach made a mistake by not playing him at 10?

I'm assuming Leali'ifano and Foley also wanted to play 10.

I think it was more the fact he was playing a position where he wasn't really utilized well for his skill set. He was probably better off riding the pine to cover 10-15 rather than playing at 13 where by his own admission he wasn't really engaged with the team.

Thinking back to that RWC and when JOC (James O'Connor) was included in the squad, I don't think many of us had him penciled in at 13 as his preferred or best position.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it was more the fact he was playing a position where he wasn't really utilized well for his skill set. He was probably better off riding the pine to cover 10-15 rather than playing at 13 where by his own admission he wasn't really engaged with the team.

Thinking back to that RWC and when JOC (James O'Connor) was included in the squad, I don't think many of us had him penciled in at 13 as his preferred or best position.

Arguably our backline performed better overall with a centre pairing of Kerevi and JOC (James O'Connor) than with Kerevi and Kuridrani. When Petaia was ready he eventually replaced JOC (James O'Connor) at 13.

The argument rodha has kept trying to make is that JOC (James O'Connor) should have both played more and in a different position and I'm not really sure how that stacks up with reality. He played a lot last season which was completely unexpected and it's hard to work out where he should have been picked to play more.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Despite all our woes at #10 last year, from memory anyone who made the slightest hint at JOC (James O'Connor) being played there got fairly well shut down. I don't think Michael Cheika has anything to answer for in that regard, in took Thorn to give him a run there this year for people to acknowledge it was a potential solution for 2020, and perhaps 2021.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
All of the AB's in Sydney are available for selection.

Plumtree confirmed in Sydney on Tuesday that on the back of a couple of hitouts since arriving for their Tri-Nations campaign, which opens with the second half of the four-match Bledisloe Cup series, all 36 players were in the selection picture for this week.

That means loosehead prop Joe Moody, who left the field after a half-hour of Bledisloe II in Auckland with a head knock, and veteran lock Sam Whitelock, who missed that test because of ongoing concussion symptoms, are both back in the mix for what’s sure to be a staunch Wallaby challenge at ANZ Stadium.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...-a-lot-better--john-plumtrees-wallaby-warning

Doesn't explicitly say so, but, presumably, that also includes Laumape. Wouldn't mind seeing him on the bench.....

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Arguably our backline performed better overall with a centre pairing of Kerevi and JOC (James O'Connor) than with Kerevi and Kuridrani. When Petaia was ready he eventually replaced JOC (James O'Connor) at 13.

The argument rodha has kept trying to make is that JOC (James O'Connor) should have both played more and in a different position and I'm not really sure how that stacks up with reality. He played a lot last season which was completely unexpected and it's hard to work out where he should have been picked to play more.

There were plenty of ways Cheika could've used him better. Beale was not up to international standard, consistent liability on defense, an error-ridden, knock on merchant at test level - and Cheika constantly comprised the team balance in 2019 and 2018 by accommodating for Beale at all costs, shuffling around other players out of position, just to fit his NSW boy in the starting 15 meaning technically superior players such as DHP, Banks, O'Conner etc.. were left out of the starting backline altogether.

O'Conner would've been better utilized at 15, 12 or 10 for the Wallabies last year. In either a first or second playmaker role, which is why 13 wasn't the most effective use for him. Beale was used by Cheika in a dual-pivot role playing at 15 under Cheika in 2019. Ideally, O'Conner should've been used in that role instead, as Beale was an error-prone buffoon in any pressure situation whatsoever.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure what 2019 has to do with this test match, given that Kerevi and KB (Kurtley Beale) no longer play for the Wallabies. JOC (James O'Connor) is the 10 for the time being and we now need to settle on a 12/13 combo, plus fullback. Well, 12 really, as most of think that Jordy is the answer at 13.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Remember after the Perth test last year when everyone thought that 12. Kerevi 13. JOC (James O'Connor) was the perfect combination of crash ball centre with second distributor?

With the patchiness of the Wallabies form it’s easy to get caught up on combinations and want to chop and change every test.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Remember after the Perth test last year when everyone thought that 12. Kerevi 13. JOC (James O'Connor) was the perfect combination of crash ball centre with second distributor?

With the patchiness of the Wallabies form it’s easy to get caught up on combinations and want to chop and change every test.
Their centre partnership was pretty consitently good i thought. Only got broken up because Cheika wanted to throw in his Petaia hail mary.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Genuine question and not just one aimed at the Wallabies - what is the point of playing a distributor type player at 13?

To me, they're playing too wide to be effective in that role, and if you want a wide distributor your better option is probably with a 15, as the AB's currently do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Genuine question and not just one aimed at the Wallabies - what is the point of playing a distributor type player at 13?

To me, they're playing too wide to be effective in that role, and if you want a wide distributor your better option is probably with a 15, as the AB's currently do.

JOC (James O'Connor) and Kerevi switched around a lot last year in attack. It depended on where they wanted Kerevi running.

It's much like the All Blacks used to play Nonu at 12 and Smith at 13. The 13 is pivotal in organising the backline defence and for setting up the winger and fullback outside and/or inside them in attack.

The playmaker at 12 option means they are far more likely play first receiver a lot more, stepping in for the 10 and giving you options on both sides of the ruck in general play.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
is it too early to rush in Vunivalu? he is currently in-form, he is from rugby so no worries about him learning the rules and laws (Except the new ones which wingers don't really bother about), an impact of t he bench on the last 15misn would be fun ..

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
is it too early to rush in Vunivalu? he is currently in-form, he is from rugby so no worries about him learning the rules and laws (Except the new ones which wingers don't really bother about), an impact of t he bench on the last 15misn would be fun ..
Vunawho?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yes. You can't pick a player for the Australian Rugby Union side without that player havin actually played a game of rugby in Australia