• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
There is the SLAR in South America which was only in round 1 of it's first year when shut down due to COVID. The Jags could go there but the standard is well down on Super Rugby. A couple of them have signed with the Force also but if a 6th Aussie team was to be set up for Super AU then I think we'll see more of them here, but not sure the UAR could afford to base a team in Australia for a full season?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dear NZRU

If you don’t still understand the reasons why it is important to work with Australia as a partner to build a really strong trans Tasman competition after Hansen signed by nrl bulldogs (with remit to poach rugby talent) then you really are still a very retarded arrogant incompetent organisation that is destined to ensure nz rugby has reached its peak let alone rugby in the Asia pacific region.

Open your frigging eyes And realise the threat from league is not just to oz. Impey and Robertson pls piss off and be replaced by someone remotely competent.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hansen is going to be awfully confused when his strategy of "win games by having the best 23 players in the world" isn't available to him and he actually has to think up something.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Hansen is going to be awfully confused when his strategy of "win games by having the best 23 players in the world" isn't available to him and he actually has to think up something.

That would be confusing for him seeing as he isn't signed on as a coach.

Also don't see how it's a poach. Wouldn't he have to be involved with rugby first for league to poach?
Reckon he sees it as a business opportunity & some easy money.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
That was Dingo. Hansen will be fine.

I dunno, it's difficult to distinguish what impact Hansen had on the All Blacks and how much he was riding the Henry and Wayne Smith coattails. If I was Twiggy, I'd be throwing some serious coin at Wayne Smith to consult on the Force as that bloke had some huge IP.

Reactions: dru

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If I look at the broad Australian sporting model, there are IMO 3 levels of professional sport, and then various levels of amateurism in sport.
· In tier one for me its Cricket, AFL & NRL.
· Tier two is Rugby, Soccer, V8’s, & Tennis.
· Tier three is Netball, Basketball, Surfing, Golf, International Car & Bike racing.

Aside from AFL all the above sports have international tournaments, with the NRL in particular developing an interest in Pacific Island & NZ matches.

You could argue that, soccer, basketball, tennis & golf have superior international programs to rugby. Maybe cricket as well, but like rugby, cricket has a small number of test quality sides.

We got kicked off the park at Homebush by the NZers.

She who must be obeyed, otherwise known as the Minster of War & Finance, as I have said before is a mad keen soccer fan, played for years until quite recently when she needed a new knee. She even played for a few years with a former Matilda in her side.

She and one of my biggest clients [client owns a small media company] are my main sources on soccer.

AnyWho over drinks and a BBQ today [ client was there and the wife] I sadly asked how or what the Mariners [we live on the Central Coast] were doing this year or what lay ahead of them. The upshot was and my break away was how soccer folk love their A-League and I guess its similar for Netball, AFL, NRL, Basketball and all other codes.

Rugby seems modelled on the cricket model, but cricket is also moving to a club model.

Rugby seems alone now in having a code essentially supporting a national side.

My client [phones can be annoying as there is no escape from the net] insisted on me looking at an article on inside sport which in turn copied various articles from Fairfax, the logic and or claims and or plans are of no importance and may or may not work. But what stands out for us rugby people is soccer folk arguing the best methods to run and expand their Australian competition.

Talk to AFL folk and their 18 team competition is so so so important to them.

Twenty-five years ago, Netball, Basketball, Soccer, V8’s had far less general media support for their national sides… The NRL, Surfing have also done a lot to increase their international exposure.

Hand on heart not the other thing, the conversation today about soccer was IMO because the Central Coast has a team.

How, why, I have little to no idea. But without an expanded national domestic competition we are toast because a failing national rugby side is today competing with a number of national sides all of which have strong and growing domestic competitions under pinning both a player supply and future fans.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think soccer is what rugby should be getting modelled on, there’s marked differences within the codes

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dear NZRU

If you don’t still understand the reasons why it is important to work with Australia as a partner to build a really strong trans Tasman competition after Hansen signed by nrl bulldogs (with remit to poach rugby talent) then you really are still a very retarded arrogant incompetent organisation that is destined to ensure nz rugby has reached its peak let alone rugby in the Asia pacific region.

Open your frigging eyes And realise the threat from league is not just to oz. Impey and Robertson pls piss off and be replaced by someone remotely competent.

Lol Dear RN, we have worked and are working with RA , I would suggest you don't read what you read in papers. We are waiting for RA to tell us they have a tv deal and can afford 5 teams so we can move forward with future plans for TT as our friend Hamish is still not sure how many teams they can afford to run, as he has told everyone publicly.
Your NZRU
PS We will certainly remove Robertson and Impey if we feel they are not doing their job which is to care for NZ rugby, unfortunately we cannot do it on request from posters on a rugby forum who doesn't seem to really know much of what is happening!
:p

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Hansen isn't actually coaching the Bulldogs . You do realise his job is just to help get training/coaching systems in place don't you? It is actually like when teams like Melbourne Storm, NFL teams from USA send coaches to All Blacks camps on occasion.
You fellas are really that silly are you? Really you do know he won't be coaching team, he actually coaching a team in Japan.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t think soccer is what rugby should be getting modelled on, there’s marked differences within the codes

The games themselves are markedly different, but I think Soccer will quite happily argue what is the best structure to underpin the game.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

How or where did I even imply that.

For the love of Mary, if mentioning a word triggers such a reaction .

I was talking about how people love their local domestic competition. Further I said if the Central Coast did not have a team then a conversation about soccer I doubt would have taken place at my home.

Or are you implying because soccer has a nation domestic competition, rugby should not and we should ignore the NRL, the AFL, Netball, Basketball competitions in Australia. Or that we should ignore the US domestic competitions and the European domestic competitions.

Just so its clear, I did not say copy the A-League marketing model. What I did say was many soccer fans like their local domestic competition.

I also pointed out the other domestic competitions.

Then pointed out rugby was the only sport in Australia aside from cricket which is changing not to have a local domestic competition to provide players and fans...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hansen isn't actually coaching the Bulldogs . You do realise his job is just to help get training/coaching systems in place don't you? It is actually like when teams like Melbourne Storm, NFL teams from USA send coaches to All Blacks camps on occasion.
You fellas are really that silly are you? Really you do know he won't be coaching team, he actually coaching a team in Japan.

Bit sensitive Dan, issa joke. That still applies:

"Steve, what systems should we get in place? What great trainings did you do at the All Blacks to make you the best in the world?"

"Ah jeez, well I guess I was just gifted the best players in the world already. They sorta came like that"

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If I look at the broad Australian sporting model, there are IMO 3 levels of professional sport, and then various levels of amateurism in sport.
· In tier one for me its Cricket, AFL & NRL.
· Tier two is Rugby, Soccer, V8’s, & Tennis.
· Tier three is Netball, Basketball, Surfing, Golf, International Car & Bike racing.

Aside from AFL all the above sports have international tournaments, with the NRL in particular developing an interest in Pacific Island & NZ matches.

You could argue that, soccer, basketball, tennis & golf have superior international programs to rugby. Maybe cricket as well, but like rugby, cricket has a small number of test quality sides.

We got kicked off the park at Homebush by the NZers.

She who must be obeyed, otherwise known as the Minster of War & Finance, as I have said before is a mad keen soccer fan, played for years until quite recently when she needed a new knee. She even played for a few years with a former Matilda in her side.

She and one of my biggest clients [client owns a small media company] are my main sources on soccer.

AnyWho over drinks and a BBQ today [ client was there and the wife] I sadly asked how or what the Mariners [we live on the Central Coast] were doing this year or what lay ahead of them. The upshot was and my break away was how soccer folk love their A-League and I guess its similar for Netball, AFL, NRL, Basketball and all other codes.

Rugby seems modelled on the cricket model, but cricket is also moving to a club model.

Rugby seems alone now in having a code essentially supporting a national side.

My client [phones can be annoying as there is no escape from the net] insisted on me looking at an article on inside sport which in turn copied various articles from Fairfax, the logic and or claims and or plans are of no importance and may or may not work. But what stands out for us rugby people is soccer folk arguing the best methods to run and expand their Australian competition.

Talk to AFL folk and their 18 team competition is so so so important to them.

Twenty-five years ago, Netball, Basketball, Soccer, V8’s had far less general media support for their national sides… The NRL, Surfing have also done a lot to increase their international exposure.

Hand on heart not the other thing, the conversation today about soccer was IMO because the Central Coast has a team.

How, why, I have little to no idea. But without an expanded national domestic competition we are toast because a failing national rugby side is today competing with a number of national sides all of which have strong and growing domestic competitions under pinning both a player supply and future fans.

That's not what the ratings suggest. Soccer at least at the pro level isn't exactly the model we should be looking to emulate.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lol Dear RN, we have worked and are working with RA , I would suggest you don't read what you read in papers. We are waiting for RA to tell us they have a tv deal and can afford 5 teams so we can move forward with future plans for TT as our friend Hamish is still not sure how many teams they can afford to run, as he has told everyone publicly.
Your NZRU
PS We will certainly remove Robertson and Impey if we feel they are not doing their job which is to care for NZ rugby, unfortunately we cannot do it on request from posters on a rugby forum who doesn't seem to really know much of what is happening!

This is the catch, we are waiting for NZ to commit to a trans-tasman before we can tell our media outlets what they will be buying. No one is right or wrong here, but ch.9 or Fox aren't just going to pay without a structure to work towards.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ NZR Chairman Impey announced early last month that SRAo would be back next year & that discussions with RA re: a follow-on TT comp were ongoing & Clan CEO recently told the Southland Chamber of Commerce that confirmation of TT is imminent. NZ franchises are actvely recruiting players on that basis.

Google super rugby aotearoa & click the "news" tab.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How or where did I even imply that.

For the love of Mary, if mentioning a word triggers such a reaction .

I was talking about how people love their local domestic competition. Further I said if the Central Coast did not have a team then a conversation about soccer I doubt would have taken place at my home.

Or are you implying because soccer has a nation domestic competition, rugby should not and we should ignore the NRL, the AFL, Netball, Basketball competitions in Australia. Or that we should ignore the US domestic competitions and the European domestic competitions.

Just so its clear, I did not say copy the A-League marketing model. What I did say was many soccer fans like their local domestic competition.

I also pointed out the other domestic competitions.

Then pointed out rugby was the only sport in Australia aside from cricket which is changing not to have a local domestic competition to provide players and fans.

Honestly I found it hard to follow your last comment, and assumed the multiple mentions of soccer suggested rugby should follow that model.

AFL and NRL are billions organisations, would be nice to emulate that, but not likely to happen, Australia doesn’t have the market for it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Your NZRU

Dan, you seem to have forgotten that NZRU tried dictating the terms of the tournament to the RA which included a reduction in Australian teams, that was publicly released by your NZRU. You can’t dismiss the comments quoted through the media, and then in the same argument use those comments to support your own narrative.

I’m glad that RA have stood up to the shit NZRU tried handing out to Australian Rugby, it was simply disrespectful to the fans. No amount of spin is going to re-write history and change how the NZRU have acted through this whole period.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On the whole Adam, I find you can stop here. More often than not that much should simply be presumed.
I edited that, as offensive as I find NZRUs behaviour, I shouldn’t talk to Dan in such a way.

If I didn’t see a natural synergy in the two counties working together, I would be happy for RA to turn their back on the Kiwis... but moving forward, I believe both countries need each other, and will have to look past the contempt to make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.