• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - it unfortunately whenever they won the ball back they gave it back with a dropped ball or a shit house kick.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Haha, like the Robbie Deans defensive system?
ive forgotten how that panned out?

The Darkness would put Dan Carter on the wing and look how well that turned out for them.

Deane's system wasn't that bad. It's the Nathan Grey system that has been our biggest downfall. Hell, Rennie even acknowledged you have to keep the ABs to 16 or less. Cheika and Grey were happy to let 30+ scores run up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Banks can consider himself unlucky? Really? He couldn't have done less in the those 2 Tests. He was practically a dedicated penalty line kicker.
I did not think banks was a test player before selected as not seen evidence as playmaker to make something happen - still not seen that with his 2 tests. Something would have to change to convince me he is our test 15 solution.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
How does McDermott get selected over Gordon on a wet track.
Because he offers some much needed spark and presents a different picture to the AB’s rather than just more of the same but not quite as good that you get with Gordon .

If you are going to replace your 9 with fresh legs you want the energy to increase . Didn’t see that happen in either of the first two games , in fact if anything , the threat at the back of the ruck decreased. In both games think we would have been better served leaving White on for the duration.

Doubt a box kick is going to win it for us in the final minutes of the game .

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that undersells Gordon's ability as a ball runner and playmaker. He's more alike to McDermott in that regard than any of the other halfbacks in the squad.

It perhaps points more to the step up in test rugby and that the Wallabies were getting pretty well beaten in the second Bledisloe.

Hopefully McDermott can offer more and hopefully the game situation doesn't mean that his inferior kicking game is an issue.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So apparently it's all rain and thunderstorms tomorrow, but it's pretty clear and sunny at the moment.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Oh wow, didn’t realise that you were the host. Great work, went to look at the first five minutes and ended up watching the whole chat.

Interesting hey. I've been impressed by our tall timber so far but both Higgers & Tucker wanted to bring back more locks over Kerevi or Latu. Also I liked that Higgers had wraps on Neville, can't say I've ever rated him but good to know someone does.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting hey. I've been impressed by our tall timber so far but both Higgers & Tucker wanted to bring back more locks over Kerevi or Latu. Also I liked that Higgers had wraps on Neville, can't say I've ever rated him but good to know someone does.

I'd say Neville was very unlucky not to make the Wallaby squad..........

He made a huge difference to the Brumbies set piece this year.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Banks made few errors, good aerial work and kicking. He wouldn't be a terrible fullback in a game with non-stop kicking, but that is not the ABs and he didn't show much on the ground, so not hard to understand that he is out. DHP can sometimes make things happen with the ball, by contrast, and is also good in the aerial game.

I thought Gordon seemed to get the ball out slllllow. Was not a fan. Noticeable drop off, even with fresher legs than White. Same thing as Banks. If you want a reliable kick game guy then sure. But he's going to be coming on behind in the score against the ABs so what use is box kicking?

Tupou and AAA order of appearance doesn't seem too important as they were basically splitting the game anyways.

I can't understand why Hanigan is always playing. He must show up well statistically or something. Call me old school, but I hate the sight of a 6 getting outmuscled as it is just demoralizing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep, Higgers' premium on experience was something I found very interesting. We probably don't realise its importance from the sidelines. The way he talked about Simmons also reinforced the reports of the playing group rating him very highly.