• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dan Palmer

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What a great article, shows you we have a long, long way to go. Sounds like a truly awful experience. Sorry Dan you had to write this article and sorry mate that we didn't see more of you.

He was only 25 when he left Australia, I thought he was so much older. He also looks almost unrecognisable now, I hope he's much happier - clearly a very clever bloke and it's great he's found something that's more his calling.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Poor bugger. Although hugely challenging to come out in his position given where a lock puts his hands every bloody scrum.

Man, how did he lose all that weight?

Now I feel a bit guilty for calling his Brumbies the Bumbreeze. #not_homophobic_just_breeze_on_bum

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Good article- similar to Andrew Webster's a few years ago that was a seriously powerful piece of writing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Great article. Hopeful society can change and people can feel comfortable to be who they are.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quite amazed that he had so many internal issues in coming out, I thought no one really gave a shit anymore

But I live and work in the inner city of Sydney and half my clients are gay, some being rampantly so

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Quite amazed that he had so many internal issues in coming out, I thought no one really gave a shit anymore

But I live and work in the inner city of Sydney and half my clients are gay, some being rampantly so
I think we see it being easy for some and assume it is straightforward for all.

I think there is still an extraordinary amount of stigma attached to it. Particularly in sport (both local and professional).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Goddamn, sounds absolutely rough the torture he put himself through. Glad to see he's come out on the otherside of it alive and finding happiness in being himself!

Makes you wonder how he must have felt as a coach at the Brumbies when AAA supported Folau's take on the bible.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think there is still an extraordinary amount of stigma attached to it. Particularly in sport (both local and professional).

Possible, I just see the gay culture in Sydney and no one cares

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Possible, I just see the gay culture in Sydney and no one cares

There were plenty of people in Sydney against both gay marriage and in support of IF, as examples.

But, yeah, as a general rule i think Sydney is pretty accepting.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe but there's still no one that feels comfortable to come out whilst playing (in any Aus men's sport)

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)

The fact that every professional player to come out has waited until after retiring to do so should make it very clear that it is not easy at all.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
A lot comes from his own perceptions, as he says, which are created from the environment he grew up in. By that I don't mean his family but more the overall Australian culture. I wonder if it's going to be any easier with a kid growing up now, attitudes have changed a lot in the last twenty years. Sure, there will always be bigots, but I guess I'm talking about mainstream Australia. I mean, every rural electorate in NSW voted in favour of gay marriage, no way in the world would that have been the case in the 80's.