• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
As I understand it..under current contract arrangements...as soon as the franchise can't pay 100% of the contract rates the players become free agents again are can be open to offers.

As we have seen already some clubs are handling this by allowing a year of sabbatical to play OS and return under the same contract conditions.

If the broadcast deal results in reduced distributions to the current 4 franchises then expect a lot more player movement.
Most (all Reds) players have signed an addendum to their contract accepting the pay cut. Unclear if that’s for a time period. The players re-signing for 2021 maybe able to negotiate the conditions around the pay cut.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I hear he wanted to, but theres not much (1) money and (2) idea as to what's beyond 2021

Yes, the reports I read all said that all re-signed coaching staff etc were only offered 12 month deals due to the current uncertainties.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hear he wanted to, but theres not much (1) money and (2) idea as to what's beyond 2021

Direct from the press release:

QRU CEO David Hanham said: “We're pleased to have Brad and several of our key staff remain at Ballymore. "In an ideal world we would’ve liked to do a longer deal with the coaching team, but due to all of the uncertainty the coaching staff and Board have agreed that the initial extension should be for 12 months, with a review once there is certainty on the broadcast and competition structure for 2022.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Direct from the press release:

QRU CEO David Hanham said: “We're pleased to have Brad and several of our key staff remain at Ballymore. "In an ideal world we would’ve liked to do a longer deal with the coaching team, but due to all of the uncertainty the coaching staff and Board have agreed that the initial extension should be for 12 months, with a review once there is certainty on the broadcast and competition structure for 2022.

Disappointing, think it time for RA to stop with the talk and actually get it sorted.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Easier said than done with the Covid situation though Dan, as we've just witnessed with the Rugby Championship. Rugby's strength and point of difference as an international game has hobbled it in a pandemic.

Spot on penguin. The world oval shaped game looks to be in major jeopardy with this global scaredemic.

Whatever your thoughts are on covid - it’s not hard to see how it’s rattled world rugby.... it has also expedited South Africa departure from super rugby. We need the ANZAC leadership to get some sort of pacific super comp. but unfortunately that looks like it won’t happen until 2022.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Disappointing, think it time for RA to stop with the talk and actually get it sorted.

Would be nice if their trans Tasman partners the NZRU actually did some talking, rather trying to dictate. If NZRU weren’t so Insistent on running rugby their way, then we might be a step closer to locking in the future of domestic rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Would be nice if their trans Tasman partners the NZRU actually did some talking, rather trying to dictate. If NZRU weren’t so Insistent on running rugby their way, then we might be a step closer to locking in the future of domestic rugby.

No.it's time to stop blaming everyone else, and just do it!! NZ franchises are still signing etc, and I realise it not easy with Covid etc, but it really is important for Hamish and crew to back up their tough talk from earlier in year , remember we will go alone etc etc etc? I don't want Aus to lose coaches or players because it was all talk!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Easier said than done with the Covid situation though Dan, as we've just witnessed with the Rugby Championship. Rugby's strength and point of difference as an international game has hobbled it in a pandemic.

I think that is probably more the point Penguin, I understand how diificult it must be, I just hate the idea that the Reds can't sign Thorn on longer if that is the case. I think there is so many upsides to him staying and I keep saying that I believe the Reds will be a top team in a TT comp in a few more years, they will be a hell of a challenge for top teams from NZ or anywhere.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
So after scrolling through 42 pages, this is every person ive seen named as an option for next year:

Prop: Hoopert, Fotuaika, Zander, Tupou, Straker, Nonggorr, Vella, Romano, Feao, Felemi
Hooker: Paenga-Amosa,Mafi, Craig, Farrell, Nesser
Lock: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth Snr, Blyth Jnr, Smith, Tualima, Fewtrell
Backrow: Kibble, Wright, Wood, Korczyk, Scott-Young, Wilson, Wallis, McReight, Uru
Scrumhalf: Mcdermott, Sorovi, Malolua, Thomas, Hunt, Dillon
Flyhalf: Henry, O'Connor, Mason, Parata, Saifoloi, Whiteside
Centre: Stewart, Paisami, Fifita, Vaihu, Petaia, Oates, Annan
Wing: Vunivalu, Daugunu, Flook, CFS,
Fullback: Campbell, Grealy, Samuela, Hegarty, Hardy, Creighton

I know Fines and Pasitoa have also been mentionee but i would prefer them to go back to WA (probably would prefer Hardy to go as well)

So out of this lot, who do we keep, whos on a development contract, and who do we let go? Also what is everyones best position?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it may end up being something like the following;

Prop: Hoopert, Fotuaika, Zander, Tupou, Nonggorr,
Hooker: Paenga-Amosa, Mafi, Nasser
Lock: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth Snr, Blyth Jnr, Uru
Backrow:Wright, Wood, Scott-Young, Wilson, McReight
Scrumhalf: Mcdermott, Sorovi, Dillon
Flyhalf O'Connor, Hegarty
Centre: Stewart, Paisami, Petaia, Flook
Wing: Vunivalu, Daugunu, CFS,
Fullback: Campbell, Grealy, Samuela, Creighton

Anyone else on your list is a development contract or WTS or whatever

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No.it's time to stop blaming everyone else, and just do it!! NZ franchises are still signing etc, and I realise it not easy with Covid etc, but it really is important for Hamish and crew to back up their tough talk from earlier in year , remember we will go alone etc etc etc? I don't want Aus to lose coaches or players because it was all talk!

You literally just blamed RA Dan.
They aren’t losing a coach, they all just re-signed for another year.
Anyway there’s enough of this talk of RA/NZRU in another thread, it doesn’t need to be in here

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Inside Centre looks a bit weak unless JOC (James O'Connor) covers it

Stewart is your primary inside centre, Paisami may develop further there as well. I think they’re both strong candidates,

I think the positions of concern for 2021 are:
THP/LHP - starters are good, depth is weak
Lock - as above
Fly half- as above

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it may end up being something like the following;

Prop: Hoopert, Fotuaika, Zander, Tupou, Nonggorr,
Hooker: Paenga-Amosa, Mafi, Nasser
Lock: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth Snr, Blyth Jnr, Uru
Backrow:Wright, Wood, Scott-Young, Wilson, McReight
Scrumhalf: Mcdermott, Sorovi, Dillon
Flyhalf O'Connor, Hegarty
Centre: Stewart, Paisami, Petaia, Flook
Wing: Vunivalu, Daugunu, CFS,
Fullback: Campbell, Grealy, Samuela, Creighton

Anyone else on your list is a development contract or WTS or whatever

As a Tah's supporter with a swiss chesse squad atm I wouldn't be unhappy with that lineup.

I'm curious who is the deveopment 10? I just don't see Hegarty as the future post JOC (James O'Connor).