• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lots of Tahs in the team, probably because the game is in Sydney

7 of the Waratahs are in the Wallabies squad and we've also probably got the highest ratio of players in the squad outside the 23.

It's basically just Tahs and Brumbies and a Rebel who must have returned home from Melbourne at the end of the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You mean outside the players outside the Wallabies camp?

Also, I assume Vaauli is Pone Faamausli?

Yes and yes.

Anyone who actually lives in Melbourne or Brisbane wouldn't be able to be here for the game with COVID.

I was referring to Kemeny who I assume moved back home with his parents in the offseason.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
On the stream page the squad is named as Rugby Australia Selection team not Australia A. My understanding also is that it's just a trial.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Watched most of the first half of the 'A' game.

Tom Wright looked very good setting up the first try and finishing the second. Most pleasing was his choice of when to run and when to kick on counter. We wouldn't lose anything from starting him if Koro or Daugunu are injured or down on form but long-term I sense a move to fullback.

I thought the backline looked quite dangerous on the whole. Maddocks was throwing some nice long balls to his wingers and Harrison had some very nice touches--he'll be competing with Lolesio in years to come. From a Waratahs' perspective, I was impressed by Tepai and hope he starts regularly next year. A real edge in defence. Gordon's running game was back, seems like he was too nervous to use it at test level and needs to back his instincts.

In the forwards, the scrum was very good and the short passing game the Wallabies have been working looked to have translated to the A side. Very impressed with Trevor Hosea who carries very strongly. He needs a spot in the 23 before year end. Swinton-Wright-Naisarani is a mouth watering backrow in terms of size and aggression.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...edisloe-record-in-sydney-20201025-p568cl.html

Waratahs hooker Tom Horton drops out of the squad – team officials say he is not injured - while Naisarani is an addition.

Horton isn't injured

Horton being booted perplexes me. I thought he was fantastic this year. Particularly for a debut season(?). He does need to bulk up a bit but is very much in the vein of an Adam Frier or Chibba Hanson. I'm good with this because it adds a point of difference. As long as his set piece is strong it can allow you to play a different backrow or even 2nd row having a hooker who is sharp around the park.

Hopefully he hasn't been completely discarded for something other than the coaching staff thinking he would benefit from an extra month or 2 of gym work.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I was impressed by Tepai and hope he starts regularly next year. A real edge in defence.

I also thought Moeroa was excellent. Aggressive defensively and a real handful in attack. He also picked up the late try when the stream went down. Penney erred in not giving him more time on the field this year.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It’s good that Moeroa got a run, also felt he was hard done by not getting a run this year with the Tahs. You’d presume his inexperience alongside Harrison’s probably forced Penney’s hand a bit. I think Horton leaving the squad is along the lines of he could be there down the road, but if injuries hit that position a more seasoned campaigner would be a better option in the short term. I really liked his game, probably needs to bulk up a bit, but hopefully not to the extent his all round game suffers. As a bloke in his early 20s that’ll happen naturally to a degree with age and training/diet

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Trevor Hosea was the guy who really caught my eye in the trial game. He is a genuine long term prospect. Looks to have the mobility and lineout ability of a Simmons with the ball-running skills of a LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Trevor Hosea was the guy who really caught my eye in the trial game. He is a genuine long term prospect. Looks to have the mobility and lineout ability of a Simmons with the ball-running skills of a LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).
Yeah, but can he kick goals like John Eales?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah, but can he kick goals like John Eales?

Apparently so. From when he was 15 years old.
“There was one game where he decided to take the conversions and he scored one in the corner. He said 'I’ve got this one, I’m going to take the conversion'. So he slots a drop goal from the sideline, thinking he’s Dan Carter, and then says 'I’ll take the rest for the day.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s good that Moeroa got a run, also felt he was hard done by not getting a run this year with the Tahs. You’d presume his inexperience alongside Harrison’s probably forced Penney’s hand a bit. I think Horton leaving the squad is along the lines of he could be there down the road, but if injuries hit that position a more seasoned campaigner would be a better option in the short term. I really liked his game, probably needs to bulk up a bit, but hopefully not to the extent his all round game suffers. As a bloke in his early 20s that’ll happen naturally to a degree with age and training/diet

Just needs to eat a few sacks of brown rice.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I also thought Moeroa was excellent. Aggressive defensively and a real handful in attack. He also picked up the late try when the stream went down. Penney erred in not giving him more time on the field this year.
Maybe. Or maybe he had some work to do to earn his spot and he was rewarded when he did the work.

I wouldn’t have a clue either way, but you wouldn’t think he’d get a run in this side without some sort of endorsement from Penney.