• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Says in the Aus this morning that Rennie didn’t want to exercise either the Giteau law or the 2 O/S player option, rather concentrate on the locally based talent, mostly because of the performances of Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Without wanting to down play the seriousness and downside of COVID in any way, gee there has been a couple of real positives out of
It.

Super AU may not be sustainable in the longer run, but I really enjoyed it this year.

And being able to give a bunch of these young guys experience against an Argentina test squad, even if it is one lacking match practice, is a real plus for the likes of Bell, Hosea, Harrison, Swinton et al.

I was pretty impressed overall. Lots of positives.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hosea and Neville were an effective locking duo. Should both be near Wallaby selection. Hosea definitely best of the forwards imo. High workload and has the ability to break a line and offload. Quite impressive.

Oh i like the sound of that, hopefully take Simmons spot in the near future.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Without wanting to down play the seriousness and downside of COVID in any way, gee there has been a couple of real positives out of
It.

Super AU may not be sustainable in the longer run, but I really enjoyed it this year.

And being able to give a bunch of these young guys experience against an Argentina test squad, even if it is one lacking match practice, is a real plus for the likes of Bell, Hosea, Harrison, Swinton et al.

I was pretty impressed overall. Lots of positives.
The key difference for me was yesterday I was thinking “how is he not in the Wallaby 23” whereas the past few years when we’ve played the ‘A’ side against non-tier one nations it’s been “how does he make the side?”

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The key difference for me was yesterday I was thinking “how is he not in the Wallaby 23” whereas the past few years when we’ve played the ‘A’ side against non-tier one nations it’s been “how does he make the side?”
Agree. For me, one of the big things is the emergence of talent in positions we are/have been weak in.

I thought all of Bell, Neville, Hosea, Swinton, Harrison, Ramm & Wright did enough yesterday to show they will be contenders for Wallaby jerseys - some of them right now, some of them in the next 12-24 months.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree. For me, one of the big things is the emergence of talent in positions we are/have been weak in.

I thought all of Bell, Neville, Hosea, Swinton, Harrison, Ramm & Wright did enough yesterday to show they will be contenders for Wallaby jerseys - some of them right now, some of them in the next 12-24 months.

I thought Hosea and Wright both showed they are ready for test level. Neville would be very handy as a bench option being a good lineout exponent and quite physical in general play unlike some. Bell, Ramm and Maddocks are close while Harrison was a little disappointing and Swinton had little impact. Moreroa was another to stand out imo.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maddocks as well. In fact he could be worth a run very soon.
Agree. I thought there were plenty of other good performances from guys like Maddocks & Fainga'a - but I guess my list above focused on guys who haven't debuted as yet. Mostly younger guys, but I also thought Neville showed if there is an injury or two it would be with giving him a shot.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anyone live close enough to ANZ and/ or have a good enough handle on local weather conditions to speculate what things might be like by kickoff?

Just learned from google I'm exactly 10km away as the crow flies. 4 hours ago the rain was torrential, really really heavy stuff but the skies have cleared now and the sun is out. Don't expect it to hold unfortunately, with the thunderstorms returning in the arvo. I think it should be drizzly and wet by KO but not storming.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well, going by Kafe’s law of dew, the ball is easier to handle when it’s properly wet rather than just dewy so expect the rain to improve the handling.

But, more seriously, Dctarget’s amateur meteorology assessment is the same as mine. I’d add that the drainage at ANZ is exceptional, it was raining for most of the day before the NRL GF last week and they still scored 46 points between them and the impact on handling was minimal. There’s no reason we still won’t have an open contest even if it is damp.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, going by Kafe’s law of dew, the ball is easier to handle when it’s properly wet rather than just dewy so expect the rain to improve the handling.

But, more seriously, Dctarget’s amateur meteorology assessment is the same as mine. I’d add that the drainage at ANZ is exceptional, it was raining for most of the day before the NRL GF last week and they still scored 46 points between them and the impact on handling was minimal. There’s no reason we still won’t have an open contest even if it is damp.
Time has come for Kafer and Horan to publish their paper on the Handling of Balls with Differing Moisture Co-Efficients. This issue needs to be put to bed!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Humid as all fuck though. Even if it's not raining its gunna be moist.
Natural Lubricants and Slippery Balls: A Hands-on Analysis
This is gonna need some technology
scrotometer.jpg