• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree. I like Edmed a lot, but watching him in the SS he still lacks some rugby smarts in his decision making/game management at times. Harrison is definitely a step up atm. That said he's young, raw talent who could evolve into something really special. Lots to like.

I was thinking the same, could see him potentially as a future 12.

Harrison is really improving and isn't afraid to take on the line. Imagine what he could do with a dominant forward pack

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Anyone watch the Australia A game vs Argentina?

I see young Tom Hooper got a start. How did he go?

Is he contracted to the Brums? Obviously he is on the radar at RA

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Anyone watch the Australia A game vs Argentina?

I see young Tom Hooper got a start. How did he go?

Is he contracted to the Brums? Obviously he is on the radar at RA

Hosea and T Wright probably best.

From Tahs perspective, Maddocks and Moeroa were excellent,

Gordon and Ramm were very Solid.

Harrison had some good moments.

The scrum held up strongly in the first half with Bell up front.

The stream cut out at 65 mins, dont think Hooper was on by that stage.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Wright was a mixed bag. Some great things on attack, but won't be near a Wallaby jersey until he does more of those 1%ers off the ball. In fact I thought that was an area that Ramm had it all over him.

I thought Moeroa was one dimensional and looked unfit. He'll be solid but nothing more.

Hooper came on (red head gear) and worked hard. Didn't get much of a chance (on tv at least).

Bell impressed me too,

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Hosea and T Wright probably best.

From Tahs perspective, Maddocks and Moeroa were excellent,

Gordon and Ramm were very Solid.

Harrison had some good moments.

The scrum held up strongly in the first half with Bell up front.

The stream cut out at 65 mins, dont think Hooper was on by that stage.

Wasn't that Tom out there in the Red headgear?.. he wasn't on for long before the stream cut so hard to really comment on how he went.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought Moeroa was one dimensional and looked unfit. He'll be solid but nothing more.

Hooper came on (red head gear) and worked hard. Didn't get much of a chance (on tv at least).

Bell impressed me too,

I agree on Moeroa. I think Tahs have been so starved for impact 12's of late that people are failing to see some of his shortcomings. Fitness and defensive work are still not up to scratch to my eyes either.

Bell was good. His side of the scrum was solid and he was effective in open play.

I though Maddocks is really starting to show his class. His passing is crisp. Positional play is really good and he is looking more astute in his detail.

I also thought Swinton wasn't too bad. He still has some rough edges I don't like, but his lineout work was sound and he had a few good carries. He's a player with a little guidance I still feel has a lot of potential to be even better.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Edmed did not have a happy afternoon.

I thought it was a mixed bag. I agree with Blackadder that it really was some of his kicking that really let him down. That failed kick for touch, aimless kick that lead to Gordons try and even some of his restarts, bombs where he really didn't put enough length on them / read the wind conditions well.

That said, I though ball in hand he had some really nice phases and a few times probably lacked someone coming off his inside shoulder a little more. His passing by and large was crisp.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Not sure of where Michael Allalatoa is at with a contract at the Crusaders. Watching the mitre 10 cup, he would be a pretty handy pick up for the tahs. Has he been capped by the wallabies or kiwis?

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
So the Two Blues have signed NZ U20s lock John Akau-Ola Laula from the Crusaders. Is this an indication that he's going to be signed for the Tahs?

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
So the Two Blues have signed NZ U20s lock John Akau-Ola Laula from the Crusaders. Is this an indication that he's going to be signed for the Tahs?

Given gutting of existing stocks and the dearth of top level locking talent in SS & QPR, would be a solid signing.

I'm fine with o/s signings to plug a hole, but am hoping tahs can add a quality Aus eligible lock or two as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Would that be two kiwi locks signed if he is though? Surely that’s not a path we want to go down, especially for a team like the Tahs who have an extensive grassroots program to select players from.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
John Akau-Ola Laula brother plays league in England, formerly with TRigers and Panthers. His family moved to Aus a while ago and he stayed to pursue Rugby. Not sure if Aus eligible but definitely reasons to move.

Maybe will get a chance to be a Waratah, but i think no evidence yet they have a hand in any contracting.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...rugby-chance-with-the-waratahs?cid=app-iPhone

Lets hope he can play, but he has been doing his Super Rugby apprenticeship while playing mitre 10

Sam Caird is one of the tallest players in New Zealand rugby but limited opportunities have forced the Northland lock to leap across the Tasman for a crack at Super Rugby.

The 23-year-old from Cambridge signed a two-year deal with the Waratahs last month and will move to Sydney after finishing the Mitre 10 Cup season with the Taniwha, who are third in the Championship with two rounds left before the semifinals.

Caird, a New Zealand under-20s representative in 2016 and 2017, has been with the Chiefs and the Blues’ wider squads since 2017 but never got the chance to make his Super Rugby debut.

Standing at 2.02m and weighing 118kg, Caird is one of the giants of the Mitre 10 Cup and has been a towering figure in Northland’s lineout since he swapped Waikato’s red, yellow and black for Cambridge blue in 2019.