• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
SouthernX with a tidbit in the Reds 2021 thread:

I believe Van Nek might be off to the rebels. I saw something on BBC rugby supporters IG page wishing him well on his MOM performance then the hashtag #melbournerebels after the post

Rhys Van Nek was part of a completely dominant front row for Easts in the QPR GF yesterday. He got MotM as well. 21 year old tight head big wraps on him.

As an aside, I saw Alex Sa'aga, Fereti's youngest brother, come on as a reserve for UQ. The kid has put on 30kg since I last saw him, truly impressive. Didn't offer much (got YC'd but took one for his whole team as they were all being minced) but he's got a prop's body for sure.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reading the latest Rebels club release it sounds like Charlie Abel isn’t currently signed to next year (although didn’t say he wouldn’t be), but article indicated that Lachie Anderson will be onboard for 2021 season

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
#rebel 2021 update

so far 2020 to 2021 looks like this, have i missed any outs or ins​
Rangi
Deegan
Kellaway
Cottrell?
Meakes?
Killingwoth
Wilkin
Eloff
Orr
Magnay
DHP
Moore
Haangana
Sa’aga
Lomani
Koegelenberg
Potter
Naisarani
Tuttle
Ainsley
Uelese
Kemeny
Jones
Koroibete
Gibbon
Philip?
Too’mua
Erasmus
Wells
Fa’amausili
Hodge
Hardwick
Leota
RHP
Louwrens
R Smith
Tupou
English
Hosea
Ins
Cummins
Tonumaipea
Powell
J Skelton
Pincus
L Holland
Andersen
Van Nek
C.Gordon?
M.Gordon?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
First week of pre-season I think starts Monday week. Depending on their workloads, some players won’t be due back straight away

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cottrell gone too.

21 of original squad left, possibly only 20 if Philip goes as planned, 4 definite ins. a few probables.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
He really strikes me more as a 15. I reckon he could be excellent if the Rebels stick with him there next season.

Hodgey seems solid at 10, but I don't think he has the distribution or game management to play there long term.

Good to know he can fill in if needed though.
I agree most suited to 15.

But being weak in the midfield we could shift To'omua to 12. Carter Gordon I don’t know too much about him but probably best starting off the bench and DHP will probably play 15 next year

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Thoughts about Hodge at 10?

Everyone says no thanks, but he never seems to fail at 10.

His first game for the Rebels he was thrown into 10 quite early due to injury and played a blinder. Think that's his 3rd time wearing 10 for the Wallabies and they have won all three. His got the kicking and running game to play 10, with someone like To'omua playing 12 it can make up for Hodges passing game, which I don't think is as bad as everyone says, cause his a smart footballer who will hold onto the ball rather than throw a 50/50 pass.

Also with our current squad, it's probably the best position to fit him into the side.

10: Hodge
11: Koro
12: To'omua
13: Magnay
14:
15: DHP

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Everyone says no thanks, but he never seems to fail at 10.

His first game for the Rebels he was thrown into 10 quite early due to injury and played a blinder. Think that's his 3rd time wearing 10 for the Wallabies and they have won all three. His got the kicking and running game to play 10, with someone like To'omua playing 12 it can make up for Hodges passing game, which I don't think is as bad as everyone says, cause his a smart footballer who will hold onto the ball rather than throw a 50/50 pass.

Also with our current squad, it's probably the best position to fit him into the side.

10: Hodge
11: Koro
12: To'omua
13: Magnay
14:
15: DHP
Scored 3 tries against the Force on debut was selected at 15 but Harris got injured in the warm up and Hodge played 10. I think long term he will play 15. But at the moment think he would strengthen the backline by playing 10

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
why do I feel like DHP, To'omua & Koroibete won't be here for '21?

Cause To'omua and DHP have both negotiated a year away to make up for the loss of pay during Covid. Catch is they can't both go at the same time.

Koroibete has been rumored to being released to France, I can't see how the ARU would be willing to let one of the best players go at the moment. His not even droppable from the match day 15, let alone releasing a JEM from contract.