• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Unfortunately not - I'm a big NBA fan and my partner follows the NRL, both of which are heavily tied to Kayo at the moment.

Also recently got Disney+ for my son so hopefully this Stan Sports is included with regular Stan to make it worthwhile or super cheap.

The NBA League Pass isn't a bad deal and you can get good access to NRL streaming if you are a Telstra customer. I think it may work out cheaper if you factor in the length of the NBA season vs the equivalent months of Kayo.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
So I've seen Stan Sports mentioned, any indication if this will be serperate to Stan or included with Stan?
Can almost see another app for Stan Sport so they don't clutter the current app.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
So I've seen Stan Sports mentioned, any indication if this will be serperate to Stan or included with Stan?
Can almost see another app for Stan Sport so they don't clutter the current app.

Apparently it will be an extra sub on top of Stan, however it isn't clear if the sports package will be made available on its own.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Part of me thinks it will be included for Stan subscribers for 2021 whilst they are still feeling out their product.

If they get their hands on a good commentary team, produce some nice side shows, maybe add some production value to the club games, it will package itself nicely for the long run. May be a bit hard to convince the fringe supporter to subscribe to a standalone service for one sport straight out of the box.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
FTA just has to have first right of refusal to the broadcast rights.

I am assuming 10 bid for the FTA rights for the Wallabies as well.

Id be very surprised if 9,having won the FTA rights (as well as the Super Rugby Rights and the Premier rugby rights) that they change any of the content we currently get wit FTA on 10 - and I thought that was ALL Home tests.

I get it, if no FTA provider bids for a Anti Siphoning product, then it can go to Pay. But in this case I assuming 2 bidders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am assuming 10 bid for the FTA rights for the Wallabies as well.

Id be very surprised if 9,having won the FTA rights (as well as the Super Rugby Rights and the Premier rugby rights) that they change any of the content we currently get wit FTA on 10 - and I thought that was ALL Home tests.

I get it, if no FTA provider bids for a Anti Siphoning product, then it can go to Pay. But in this case I assuming 2 bidders.

All the Wallabies home test and Bledisloe/Rugby Championship will be on 9 as part of this deal.

It's just the EOYT that 9 will have to bit for separately and if they don't pay what is being asked, then there's a potential they don't appear on FTA as has happened in the past.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I feel for my old man, he struggles with technology big time. I think using Stan would be one bridge too far for him to handle, shame, watching footy is one of the few things he's still able to do

You might want to set him up with a Google TV - I reckon it's probably the smoothest and simplest interface for streaming apps, and the remote allows you to drive other TV functions such as volume, power, etc.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
Nine and Rugby Australia have confirmed a landmark new $100 million, three-year broadcast rights deal which will put Super Rugby matches live on free-to-air television for the first time in the competition's 25-year history.

The new partnership brings to an end the game's long relationship with Foxtel, which has backed the code since its foray into professionalism in the 1990s.

Nine has announced the launch of Stan Sport, a live and on-demand streaming service, along with a three-year deal with Rugby Australia.

The three-year, $100 million deal also has a two-year option at the end of 2023.

Nine will broadcast every Wallabies Test from 2021 onwards and one Super Rugby AU match each weekend on its free-to-air network.

All Super Rugby AU finals will also be live on Nine.

The rest of Rugby Australia's broadcast offering – including all other Super Rugby matches, Super W, the remainder of the Rugby Championship, inbound Tests for other southern hemisphere nations, Wallaroos games, Shute Shield, Hospital Cup, New Zealand's Mitre 10 and South Africa's Currie Cup – will be live and ad-free on the newly-created Stan Sport.

Stan Sport will be considered an "add-on", meaning current Stan subscribers will not get automatic access to the smorgasbord of rugby content.

Stan chief executive Mike Sneesby was coy on how much the sport package - which will include other sports - will cost but it is expected to fall in line with current Stan subscription prices.

"We will be launching sport as an add-on package on Stan. More details will be (available) closer to launch but it will be an add-on package to our entertainment package," Sneesby said.

"Stan's subscriber base is over 2.2 million and is growing a reach far bigger than that, in terms of our overall account base. We're very confident in what we will bring to rugby fans around Australia."

Nine chief executive Hugh Marks also hinted at innovation in the way rugby is broadcast.

That will be music to the ears of Australian rugby fans, as staff cuts in recent years has seen Fox Sports' coverage of the game greatly diminish.

"We have got some pretty exciting thoughts and concepts about how we are going to bring some new things to the coverage of rugby," Marks said.

"That was one of the things that Rob and I spoke about very early on. When you look at the coverage of rugby, what are the things you could maybe bring to make it lift compared to what you might be able to do in other sports?

"I think you will see some pretty exciting developments from that."

The Shute Shield and Queensland's Premier Rugby competition will have four games broadcast on Nine throughout their seasons.

One match per finals weekend will also be broadcast on the free-to-air network.
Every other club game will be behind the Stan Sport paywall.

Rugby Australia chief executive Rob Clarke praised the landmark deal, which is more significant in both cash and contra than the previous domestic contract with Foxtel.

"The fantasy has become a reality for the Australian rugby community," Clarke said.

"This is a landmark deal that includes everything in the showbag, and it gives more Australians more access to more rugby than ever before.

"Australian rugby is transforming with an exciting future ahead, and this innovative partnership enables us to fast-track that growth from the grassroots up as well as showcase and promote the game like never before."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...king-100m-broadcast-deal-20201109-p56csm.html

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
All the Wallabies home test and Bledisloe/Rugby Championship will be on 9 as part of this deal.

It's just the EOYT that 9 will have to bit for separately and if they don't pay what is being asked, then there's a potential they don't appear on FTA as has happened in the past.

you mean Spring tour tests played overseas - no problem with that. As long as they are somewhere

But I assume the inbound tours (used to be Mid year/June) I would expect them to be on 9 main channel FTA and Live

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
you mean Spring tour tests played overseas - no problem with that. As long as they are somewhere

But I assume the inbound tours (used to be Mid year/June) I would expect them to be on 9 main channel FTA and Live

Yes, the inbound tours for Australia (and I am pretty sure New Zealand and South Africa) are included as part of this agreement.

Rugby Australia sells the rights for our inbound tour and NZRU/SARU include theirs in the overall rights that get collectively sold in each market.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That is brilliant in my opinion, Stan and 9, I know I have moved back home, but I think this is so bloody good. I just read about it on Stuff and it seems they get rights to Mitre 10 cup matches from NZ, and all home tests played by SH countries . Seems the SANZAAR accord is still working, I not sure if RA has paid NZR and SA etc for these right as part of it, neither do I care, I genuinely believe this is by far the best deal that could of been struck.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As with the u20s and RWCs those are World Rugby's rights. Up to them who they sell it to.

Not sure what it means for Foxsports' relationship with them.

Also whilst I think this is positive for the code. It's also pay-walling Shute Shield. That's a shame.

It mentions that 4 QPR and 4 Shute Shield matches will be broadcast on FTA throughout the season, including one finals game per weekend.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
How does the money equate to what Fox pays now? If my maths is correct 100mill over 3 years is about 33.33333;)mill a year. Regardless if it the same or a little less it gives them security in ongoing negotiations etc!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How does the money equate to what Fox pays now? If my maths is correct 100mill over 3 years is about 33.33333;)mill a year. Regardless if it the same or a little less it gives them security in ongoing negotiations etc!

a portion is advertising - i think it's supposedly about 30m less over the 3 years.