• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I doubt the Brumbies would move Banks. He is easily the most consistent Super XV fullback in Aus rugby, and his attack isn't an issue at super XV level.

It's more likely Wright would move to 12 over Simone but even that is unlikely.

Not sure how much influence Rennie would have if he asked clubs to play players in certain positions. Would be handy for the wallabies though.

When Banks is out, hopefully they give him a go for a few games in a row.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I'd leave Hodge at 12. Let him settle and see how he goes. Every chance he'd be a big asset to the team. His kicking is quality and defense is well up to scratch. He is powerful enough to bust tackles. His distribution skills will improve with age and time in the position. He seems like the type of bloke who will dedicate a whole off season to improving whatever needs work. Nonu rarely distributed or kicked in his early days as a 12. That came later.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I think the Brumbies should start investing in Mack Hansen as their long-term FB option.

I've really liked what I've seen out of him; big, fast, lightning feet, good in the air and looks to have a solid offload and passing game. Unsure about his kicking.

But he has just about all the attributes to make an excellent test 15

Wouldn't say he is big? But yes, a player that should certainly be in consideration as a development player.
A lot of people forget Tom Banks is only 26 and Jack Maddocks is 23. These two guys will be competing for the 15 jersey for many years to come. Throw Tom Wright into the conversation and we are building some solid depth.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wouldn't say he is big? But yes, a player that should certainly be in consideration as a development player.
A lot of people forget Tom Banks is only 26 and Jack Maddocks is 23. These two guys will be competing for the 15 jersey for many years to come. Throw Tom Wright into the conversation and we are building some solid depth.

I like Hansen, looks like he has plenty of time on the field.

Maddocks if always mistaken for been older, he's one year older than Hansen.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)

His listed height puts him at 1.88, which is definitely smaller than I thought he looked on the field (still 6'2 isn't short).
But his listed weight of 102kg would make him the heaviest Fullback in Aus.

Now how accurate player measurements are is a different story....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Newest recruit:

Melbourne Storm star Suliasi Vunivalu will join the Wallabies squad when it reconvenes in the Hunter Valley on Wednesday afternoon.
The Herald can reveal the Fijian flyer is set to join coach Dave Rennie's squad and begin training with the group on Wednesday, pending the results of a COVID-19 test.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/vunivalu-called-into-wallabies-squad-20201110-p56d7w.html

Probably won't be playing this month, but who knows?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Would be bloody rough on whichever of our four in-form wingers misses out on a chance.

I was sort of hoping to see a bit of Ramm at some point.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Newest recruit:

Melbourne Storm star Suliasi Vunivalu will join the Wallabies squad when it reconvenes in the Hunter Valley on Wednesday afternoon.
The Herald can reveal the Fijian flyer is set to join coach Dave Rennie's squad and begin training with the group on Wednesday, pending the results of a COVID-19 test.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/vunivalu-called-into-wallabies-squad-20201110-p56d7w.html

Probably won't be playing this month, but who knows?

He's been average in League for last the 2 years. Apart from one or two moments in a whole year.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
funny i called this 2 weeks back hehe.. with DHP out, maybe wright and banks will now s rotate between the 15 jersey, would open ip a spot for a wing, Suli doesn't need to start on the wing, he can come off the bench against argentina .. they missed the opportunity to play him in that Wallabies select team against Argentina last week

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is just about creating a bit of hype around his move rather than leaving it for a couple of months when everyone has forgotten about the NRL GF.

There is definitely that but he is also a prize asset they want to ensure getting the most out of so for sure get him in training with other wallabies to understand and get use to the environment. Of course he won't play but the experience of being around the environment will help accelerate his transition. Plus yes marketing wise also good move.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I rarely watch league these days but I’ve still seen enough to say very confidently this is not true. He’s very good. Whether it translates is another thing, but he’s been very good in league.
His major weakness is he’s prone to brain explosions. He’s been a lot better marked (particularly in the air) than he was initially but still a tremendous athlete. He will be challenging for a spot next year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is there potentially a move to protect the Wallabies investment here. Cap him so he can’t be tempted by selection for Fiji? I know many would be pissed off - but if they are going to give the guy $900k I’d could see logic in making 100% sure he was locked down

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is there potentially a move to protect the Wallabies investment here. Cap him so he can’t be tempted by selection for Fiji? I know many would be pissed off - but if they are going to give the guy $900k I’d could see logic in making 100% sure he was locked down

He's getting 900k?

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Fiji won't take him even if he wants to play for us, w don't break verbal contracts, he promised to play for Australia, we will respect that.though we are pissed at Rennie for ignoring Naisarani and Kuridrani

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is just about creating a bit of hype around his move rather than leaving it for a couple of months when everyone has forgotten about the NRL GF.
He’s just hanging about and needs something to do. I hope they are not paying what is reported. We are pretty flush with talented young wingers right now

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just hope he amounts to expectations. I like what I see but not everyone is a Koroibete.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He's getting 900k?
That was the figure I remember being quoted. Happy to be corrected if that is wrong.

I’m not saying he is worth that, nor that he will be a sensation straight away (or possibly ever). We should be realistic and expect him to have a settling period. But he is a very good league player and has plenty of attributes which, IMO, make him likely to be a good rugby player. I am relatively confident he’ll be a very worthy starter for the Reds by season end next year.