• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Club rugby is Shute Shield/QPR equivalent.
Thanks.

Fair enough, I'm happy for Shute Shield/QPR teams to play this Championship. They already do, in fact.

Instead of a couple of (semi) rich teams playing off, just add a few more teams. A thousand-mile Syd-Bris round-trip per weekend. Sounds like a rugby tour from the old amateur era.

In saying, that I think there is a chance it will destroy the lower levels of both Shute and QPR.

What's the salary cap for the playoffs, mate? -- Can a Fortescue Premier or JI Dent team, etc, win with a $200k roster (or a $500k roster) or would it need more?

Would be a waste of time flying 4000 miles on a weekend otherwise if they can't win -- especially with guys having to go back to work or uni on Mondays.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thanks.

Fair enough, I'm happy for Shute Shield/QPR teams to play this Championship. They already do, in fact.

Instead of a couple of (semi) rich teams playing off, just add a few more teams. A thousand-mile Syd-Bris round-trip per weekend. Sounds like a rugby tour from the old amateur era.

In saying, that I think there is a chance it will destroy the lower levels of both Shute and QPR.

What's the salary cap for the playoffs, mate? -- Can a Fortescue Premier or JI Dent team, etc, win with a $200k roster (or a $500k roster) or would it need more?

Would be a waste of time flying 4000 miles on a weekend otherwise if they can't win -- especially with guys having to go back to work or uni on Mondays.

I just think that an evolution of a club rugby comp featuring the QPR & SS teams is more likely to eventuate then another NRC, as much as i personally enjoyed it and saw value in the player development, there just wasn't enough support for the NRC.

I don't know how they would achieve a club rugby championship, or in what format, but i think that will be a more likely scenario then NRC 2.0.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
That Halloran article boggles the mind. The notion that by not re-signing with Fox we missed our opportunity to 'reset' is a brain-twisting logical leap. I know she has to sing from the company hymn sheet but man that's just so out of touch with where the rugby public are right now.

This forum is not necessarily a representative sample, but does anyone, anywhere think Fox was doing a good job? Nobody I talk to thinks so. The commentary is generally the lightning rod, but the whole package was stale.

No major paper can really report that given their allegiances one way or another. But I can't remember an announcement being so widely supported by local rugby fans.

Yep. And to think certain members of this forum were trying to say she was in any way balanced and impartial earlier in the year during her disgraceful run of hit pieces on Castle. She gets rolled out to do the NewsCorp shitkicking, strongarming, vendetta settling work; this latest article just proves it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I enjoy a pragmatic approach to situations, but the shit Halloran is rolling out is beyond being pragmatic, its in the sphere of conspiracy theorist. I just don't understand how she argue that sticking with Foxtel was going to be the reset the code needed.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
She is quite high up in Newscorp and from several accounts Wayne Smith won’t write stories of that nature, so she obviously just takes it on her own accord to do the dirty work.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
It doesn't. I don't think anyone is pretending that RA can suddenly afford five teams again.

Either Twiggy pays or Force go back to GRR - which seems reasonable to me. It doesn't make any sense to me, for Twiggy to pick the force back up, build a new Super Rugby quality squad and then give them the flick because RA can't afford to cut him in on a smalltime TV deal.

Keep in mind the money Twiggy pays for the Force is a pittance for him.

Maybe in 5 years if Rugby is back on its feet he will want a cut and it might be feasible.

It makes no sense for there NOT to be an equitable distribution of $$s to ALL clubs involved in SRAu.

The WF may be privately owned but so is the Rebels.

Andrew Forrest may be a philanthropist but his support of the WF is a business proposition aimed at ensuring that the WF is eventually, and in an acceptable timeframe, is a profitable activity.

The lack of equitable distribution between the Super Rugby clubs was the problem previously - especially as the club which was axed received the least.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I just think that an evolution of a club rugby comp featuring the QPR & SS teams is more likely to eventuate then another NRC, as much as i personally enjoyed it and saw value in the player development, there just wasn't enough support for the NRC.

I don't know how they would achieve a club rugby championship, or in what format, but i think that will be a more likely scenario then NRC 2.0.

It interesting that it appears that the lack of support for the NRC comes from within, but the "coveted" club rugby and related supposed championships, that are well established, are pre-packaged and on the shelf for sale but seem to hold little interest to broadcasters.

It begs the question is Rugby in general [still] struggling to read the room and work out how to generate revenue?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It interesting that it appears that the lack of support for the NRC comes from within, but the "coveted" club rugby and related supposed championships, that are well established, are pre-packaged and on the shelf for sale but seem to hold little interest to broadcasters.

It begs the question is Rugby in general [still] struggling to read the room and work out how to generate revenue?

I wasn’t talking just broadcasters, but stakeholders at all levels of the game. NRC never received mass support, I don’t think that’s a incorrect or controversial statement to make, perhaps an unpopular one in these forums through.
I was a avid fan of the NRC, however it was clear there we’re large parts of the existing rugby community who didn’t support it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It makes no sense for there NOT to be an equitable distribution of $$s to ALL clubs involved in SRAu.

Andrew Forrest may be a philanthropist but his support of the WF is a business proposition aimed at ensuring that the WF is eventually, and in an acceptable timeframe, is a profitable activity.

The lack of equitable distribution between the Super Rugby clubs was the problem previously - especially as the club which was axed received the least.

He is seeing a return from the Force. In the form of beneficial tax credits. It doesn't actually matter whether or not the Force turns a profit (actually it's better they don't) in order for him to be able to use them in lessening his tax burden.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wasn’t talking just broadcasters, but stakeholders at all levels of the game. NRC never received mass support, I don’t think that’s a incorrect or controversial statement to make, perhaps an unpopular one in these forums through.
I was a avid fan of the NRC, however it was clear there we’re large parts of the existing rugby community who didn’t support it.
I’m not sure if there is enough support for either. SS tv ratings weren’t any better than NRC ratings and that was on FTA. Also I watched a lot of club rugby this season on clutch and 7, almost every game had 5 men and 2 dogs, that included several knockout games.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Doesnt make any sense though. We are poorer now than when we cut them because were too poor. Does not compute.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Doesnt make any sense though. We are poorer now than when we cut them because were too poor. Does not compute.

But you can't say that because it means RA can't afford 5 teams, which just opens more problems. I believe RA will (or should) just give all 5 teams and equal amount, and if they can afford more or better players they can buy them up to cap. Bit of private equityanyone?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I guess they'll figure it out. But id be amazed if the Force are cut in.

And honestly surprised if Twiggy thinks they need to be right now.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Well the best way forward would be for Twiggy to become a major sponsor of Aus Rugby/Wallabies (probably using RM Williams brand) and that money could then flow back to the Force. The force would then be funded the same as every other team in the same way for salary cap purposes. It would be a win win

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m not sure if there is enough support for either. SS tv ratings weren’t any better than NRC ratings and that was on FTA. Also I watched a lot of club rugby this season on clutch and 7, almost every game had 5 men and 2 dogs, that included several knockout games.

Most games were sold out in Sydney- due to Covid.

I take your point about the finals games at Rat Park. Seemed like nobody was on the hill and the services of the Hillbilly bar not required. Must have been because it wasnt a home ground for anyone and is located at a far flung outpost of Sydney that the supporters of the clubs playing finals couldn't make the journey.

But I suspect the grandstand had more spectators- but you dont get to see it especially on the 1 camera Cluch setup.

The Warringah home games had spectators all over the hill right around the ground, and the Covid marshalls had their work cut out for them

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well the best way forward would be for Twiggy to become a major sponsor of Aus Rugby/Wallabies (probably using RM Williams brand) and that money could then flow back to the Force. The force would then be funded the same as every other team in the same way for salary cap purposes. It would be a win win

RM Williams sponsoring the Wallabies is a Mosman toffs wet dream.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
RM Williams sponsoring the Wallabies is a Mosman toffs wet dream.

Well if I go back to my marketing days, seems to target the right demographic. I suspect Forest may have had this in mind when he bought it.

Perhaps they will do a brand extension, RMW Sports attire -