• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would have been nice to keep Hunt but at the end of the day I don't think it's a huge loss. He was really helpful guiding Harrison around this year but Harrison will need less of that next year. Moeroa provides that direct running option who can really make the advantage line. What we saw of him at the end of the season was really promising.

I like Cam Clark and am sorry to see him go but he's not in our best 23.

Joey Walton confirmed himself as a starter this year and will only get better. He'll still be 20 when next season starts.

Our real weakness is at lock but aside from that I don't have too many issues with the squad.

1. Bell
2. Horton
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Caird
5. Wykes
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

16. Porecki 17. Faulkner 18. Tauakipulu 19. ?? 20. Harris 21. Short 22. Donaldson 23. Nawaquanitawase

Hopefully we sign Harrison Goddard because I think he's better than Short and could easily end up in our best 23.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It would have been nice to keep Hunt but at the end of the day I don't think it's a huge loss. He was really helpful guiding Harrison around this year but Harrison will need less of that next year. Moeroa provides that direct running option who can really make the advantage line. What we saw of him at the end of the season was really promising.

Joey Walton confirmed himself as a starter this year and will only get better. He'll still be 20 when next season starts.

Our real weakness is at lock but aside from that I don't have too many issues with the squad.

1. Bell
2. Horton
4. Caird
5. Wykes
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

16. Porecki 17. Faulkner 18. Tauakipulu 19. ?? 20. Harris 21. Short 22. Donaldson 23. Nawaquanitawase

Hopefully we sign Harrison Goddard because I think he's better than Short and could easily end up in our best 23.

As someone not watching closely there are a serious quantity of names that don’t mean anything. There are some strengths and plenty of “should prove great” but the unknowns are baffling. Tahs may do well with this from the get go, but I have to say it’s unlikely.

Given 9 has chosen to highlight the Tahs in FTA, god I hope they offer more than they look like offering.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As someone not watching closely there are a serious quantity of names that don’t mean anything. There are some strengths and plenty of “should prove great” but the unknowns are baffling. Tahs may do well with this from the get go, but I have to say it’s unlikely.

Given 9 has chosen to highlight the Tahs in FTA, god I hope they offer more than they look like offering.

11 of that starting 15 were regulars in 2020. Lock is the real worry right now. We were short there in 2020 and are much weaker in 2021 with the current signings.

We won the same number of games as the Rebels and one less than the Reds.

9 will highlight the Reds and Waratahs pretty much indefinitely because they're by far their two biggest markets for rugby. Clearly it would be beneficial if both those teams are good.

I would say we will end up fighting for third with the Rebels again.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Hmm does it. Clark wouldn’t be a starter for sure and not the best bench utility. Not Hunt with Morea, Foketi, Newsome and Walton

At this stage for the tahs, losing any quality players hurt

I probably rate Clark alot higher than most, and losing someone as experienced as Hunt in an inexperienced team is not ideal

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Its probably been mentioned here before, but if I were the Tahs I'd be throwing money at Hugh Pyle to come back to Aus. Always thought he was very underrated.

I don't know if there are any other Aus locks off contract, are Hockings or Rodda available?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
11 of that starting 15 were regulars in 2020.

Lock is the real worry right now. We were short there in 2020 and are much weaker in 2021 with the current signings.

We won the same number of games as the Rebels and one less than the Reds.

9 will highlight the Reds and Waratahs pretty much indefinitely because they're by far their two biggest markets for rugby. Clearly it would be beneficial if both those teams are good.

I would say we will end up fighting for third with the Rebels again.

Hell yes, it will be beneficial to Aus rugby if the Waratahs are good. I wish the club all the best.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe the Tahs are already in conversation with locks to come back...but for 22/23 WC runs. No point paying overs for players for 2021. Bank the coin, use it later and make it count.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Dempsey hasn't signed back up yet according to the Tahs CEO but he is hopeful. So many spots still to fill.

I think Max Douglas will get a contract

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

1. Bell
2. Horton
4. Caird
5. Wykes
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

A lot of promise for the future with the team so far but a lack of decent depth so far is very concerning.

We have lost a hell of a lot of experience and not much experience so far signed.

This is yet another rebuild year coming up