• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lots of Club Rugby to watch behind that paywall

This is definitely the challenge to adding subscribers. For a lot of people you need to be interested in the NZ games and test matches not involving Australia in particular to justify subscribing.

Hopefully most people who have Foxtel/Kayo predominantly for rugby will move across.

Another challenge with cost is that those wanting to move across for the rugby won't necessarily be keen to drop Foxtel/Kayo because they are interested in other sports still there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is definitely the challenge to adding subscribers. For a lot of people you need to be interested in the NZ games and test matches not involving Australia in particular to justify subscribing.

Hopefully most people who have Foxtel/Kayo predominantly for rugby will move across.

Another challenge with cost is that those wanting to move across for the rugby won't necessarily be keen to drop Foxtel/Kayo because they are interested in other sports still there.

Yep I was talking to son who still in Aus about it last night and he was saying he would need to hold onto Kayo for the cricket from around the world. Though normally with streaming you can turn them on and off easily online.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We will be retaining Foxtel, there is enough value for us even without Australian rugby (although I have complained to them, and I am currently negotiating a more realistic price). Screw them.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I look at it this way, three years ago I was paying $102/mth for Foxtel. Currently I am running Netflix $13.99, Kayo $14.99 ($10 off due to being a Telstra customer) and Amazon Prime $6.99 (really for the free shipping). Even if I add Stan and Stan Sports at $30 I am at $65/mth. I have more content, I can drop any service when I like, I can watch it outside my home and it is cheaper. Glory days.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Movies, documentaries, BBC First (worth a lot on its own), CNN, Sky News UK, Bein sport. Mrs Wamberal and I watch together, on the big screen. Easy to use, one source for everything.

Fair enough. I've never had Foxtel before. I just have a feeling Netflix and Kayo together would be cheaper and cover everything.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I look at it this way, three years ago I was paying $102/mth for Foxtel. Currently I am running Netflix $13.99, Kayo $14.99 ($10 off due to being a Telstra customer) and Amazon Prime $6.99 (really for the free shipping). Even if I add Stan and Stan Sports at $30 I am at $65/mth. I have more content, I can drop any service when I like, I can watch it outside my home and it is cheaper. Glory days.

You actually use Amazon? i found it remarkably un-competitive price-wise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If it's just sports, wouldn't it be heaps cheaper to just go with Kayo?

It would be but I bargained Foxtel down to $43.50 a month for basic + sports + a couple of other things vs the premium Kayo subscription which would be $35 a month so to retain the IQ box and the convenience of not having to cast, staying with Foxtel for now is a better option.

My post was mostly about the value of Foxtel if rugby is no longer there. I didn't realise you were asking for Foxtel vs Kayo.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I wasn’t talking just broadcasters, but stakeholders at all levels of the game. NRC never received mass support, I don’t think that’s a incorrect or controversial statement to make, perhaps an unpopular one in these forums through.
I was a avid fan of the NRC, however it was clear there we’re large parts of the existing rugby community who didn’t support it.

The comment was in agreement with your post but also highlighting where I perceived the lack of support existed (which is the same as your view). You are spot on!

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I said this in the Where To Super Rugby Thread but it probably makes sense to have less WF in particular but also less Rebels games in the FTA broadcast.

On a Saturday night in both WA and VIC you will be going up against an FTA AFL game so the eyeballs you lose from not having NSW/QLD/ACT in will not be picked up by causal "home" fans from WA or VIC. The time zones are also not great for WA. I would think that the KO will be about 7pm which will be 4pm AWT at the beginning of the season and 5PM AWT post the end of daylight savings. Premier games in WA end about 5:15 so those times will clash with the local comp.

True. But you can always stream it after. I rarely watch games at KO these days because I am usually doing things on a Friday/Saturday night.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
True. But you can always stream it after. I rarely watch games at KO these days because I am usually doing things on a Friday/Saturday night.

Agreed - but if the home fans will be streaming anyway it makes sense to not sacrifice potential eyeballs for free to air.

This is not me saying I think it is fair on the Force or Rebels but I can understand the thinking