• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
get Rid of the Giteau rule, Argentina's win yesterday proved that Australia's win agaisnt NZ was not that a big deal..its NZ thats playing poorly thus why Australia could have beaten them TWICE this year but failed the fist time around cause they had no decent goal kicker..atleast change it to 30 caps or something. 60 caps is idiotic...maybe allow Marika a sabbatical during super rugby AU but call him back before the trans-tasman soup..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
get Rid of the Giteau rule, Argentina's win yesterday proved that Australia's win agaisnt NZ was not that a big deal..its NZ thats playing poorly thus why Australia could have beaten them TWICE this year but failed the fist time around cause they had no decent goal kicker..atleast change it to 30 caps or something. 60 caps is idiotic.maybe allow Marika a sabbatical during super rugby AU but call him back before the trans-tasman soup..

Is it that difficult to give credit to the teams who beat New Zealand? Why is it always New Zealand lost, rather then the other team won?

It just comes across as a cheap way to steal the glory from teams who played well..

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Is it that difficult to give credit to the teams who beat New Zealand? Why is it always New Zealand lost, rather then the other team won?

It just comes across as a cheap way to steal the glory from teams who played well..

It's so bloody annoying. Lets hope it becomes a regular occurrence & humble pie becomes NZ's national dish .

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Matera has been epic for a long time. Similar style as Kolisi but IMO better. Not quiiiitttee as dynamic as Savea but probably more accurate around other parts of the game.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Matera has been epic for a long time. Similar style as Kolisi but IMO better. Not quiiiitttee as dynamic as Savea but probably more accurate around other parts of the game.

Also got decent height to him, probably 6'4 I reckon. Genuine line out option.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In Swinton's absence, I'd like to see Wilson in 6 and Naisarani in 8. For all the plaudits Wilson is getting his ball carrying has been disappointing so far for the Wallabies. No criticism of the rest of his game, but it would be nice to have an 8 who invariably makes ground with ball in hand and Isi is that man. Two strong players who complement each other in 6 and 8 then brings out the best in a running and tackling No 7 like Michael Hooper, or a breakdown pest and pilferer like McReight.

I reckon we'd show up better in the backrow battle than NZ did.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We are not that far off. Hooper is..well Hooper and Swinton was the best on park prior to his card last game. Wilson will be as good as anyone running around. We have a lot of depth in the back row, it just needs to be groomed.

Yep when you beat a higher ranked side take the credit for being the better team on the day and the platitudes that deserves. We should always celebrate a win against the top sides in the world

Reactions: dru

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
We are not that far off. Hooper is..well Hooper and Swinton was the best on park prior to his card last game. Wilson will be as good as anyone running around. We have a lot of depth in the back row, it just needs to be groomed.
I’d prefer a bigger 7 than Hooper. That they were still smashing bodies till the end was superb. Swinton is promising for sure. I have yet to see ISI dominate for long in a test. Same with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Sure they’re big but they never look like they’ll die trying. I’d play Wilson McReight and Wright and see if the enthusiasm of youth and combination can carry the day .

The time off to train has made a huge difference to the fitness and skills of the Argies. Their passion is a key. We’re in for a torrid time on the weekend. We got done by then a few years back on the Gold Coast. We took them too lightly that night. The writing was on the wall so I put $20 on the dirty hedge of the Wallabies to lose which helped a little. Clearly the Wallabies won’t be asleep this time. I have my doubts we’ll have the physicality to match them if they can bring it again. Can’t wait.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’d prefer a bigger 7 than Hooper. That they were still smashing bodies till the end was superb. Swinton is promising for sure. I have yet to see ISI dominate for long in a test. Same with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). Sure they’re big but they never look like they’ll die trying. I’d play Wilson McReight and Wright and see if the enthusiasm of youth and combination can carry the day .

The time off to train has made a huge difference to the fitness and skills of the Argies. Their passion is a key. We’re in for a torrid time on the weekend. We got done by then a few years back on the Gold Coast. We took them too lightly that night. The writing was on the wall so I put $20 on the dirty hedge of the Wallabies to lose which helped a little. Clearly the Wallabies won’t be asleep this time. I have my doubts we’ll have the physicality to match them if they can bring it again. Can’t wait.
That back row might be a bit small, although I would have McReight on the bench to close out the game. I think the Kiwis got it wrong. They should have started with Sotutu(sp?) and finished with Savea.
Yes, its going to be a great test for us and them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In Swinton's absence, I'd like to see Wilson in 6 and Naisarani in 8. .

If Naisarani is back to full match fitness I would have him in the backrow ahead of Swinton no matter what. The best way for us to beat the Argies (and we have to beat them twice) is to run them around a lot, keep the ball out of contact as much as possible.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Wright playing out of position and a baby McReight going up against Matera and Kremer? Jesus - did you not see Ardie and Cane just get chewed up?

If Isi is to come back (which i doubt for this year) then it'd likely be off the bench.

In an attritional match you want guys like Swinton, Valetini and Wilson involved. I also still think Samu is in our best 3 flankers.

Ideally we would have Samu at 8 and Wilson at 6 with Valetini off the bench - but that's a gamble lineout wise.

Hanigan aint winning you this match.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
If Matera and Kremer can do the same two weeks in a row we’re in for a long night. Who do we have that can match these two for physicality and passion? I’d still give McReight a crack. 6 is the issue. Wilson will go alright.

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit I’d play Hodge at 15 and try to pin them in their own half.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
I agree. It’s why I’d like to see McReight playing hard at the ruck.

The quote of the Test for me was “they were disrespecting us, we are playing for our country”

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I wouldn’t question Hooper’s selection. Consistently one of our best in wins and losses. I just think it’s a mindset here that the 7 has to be this and the 6 has to be that. You switch the Argentine 6 and 7s jerseys on Saturday, you wouldn’t question their performance in those positions.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree. It’s why I’d like to see McReight playing hard at the ruck.

Is there any evidence that McReight is more physical at the breakdown than Hooper? I get that Hooper isn't a massive rock shifter (though IMO he plays well above his weight), but to my eyes young Fraser is still Hooper-lite/light at this point - given he's only 20 though that will change very soon I'm sure.