• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina - 21 November, Newcastle

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well this match just got a whole lot spicier.

Looking forward to the scrum battle, Argies battered the All Blacks there.

Keep the same team as Suncorp, maybe JO'C in at 10 if fit. Wright deserves to stay as does Banks. Probably promote Hanigan to starting 6 with Naisarani on the bench. Minimal change. Aus by 2 with a Hodge penalty to seal it in the 80th.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if Rennie will be considering bringing Nasirani straight into the starting team.

Nasirani at his best has a good balance between work rate & physicality.

I know he was left out of the squad initially, but if it is true that that was based around shortcoming in his fitness and he has done the work to rectify those then I could see Rennie picking him.

Biggest issue for me is that it will put a lot of pressure on our lineout.

The other option might be Valetini. I note he has been used regularly as a lineout jumper in the Australia A game and has been effective at 2. He definitely has the physical impact. I’m not convinced on his work rate/accuracy but accuracy remains an issue across the squad and you’d imagine the coaching staff would have been pushing him to increase his work rate.

I imagine Hanigan is most likely and I am not opposed to that - but given he is off overseas I could see Rennie looking to one of the others.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
For all the talk of Cheika, I actually think he is an asset in this game. Reckon there would be a handful of Wallabies who'd love to stick it to him for various reasons. Reckon we'll no longer run the risk of getting complacent for this one either. Given the Argies tackling and breakdown pressure, I reckon a good kicking game and only playing the ball in their half is the key. Let it loosen up in the second half with guys like Thor and Bell running at tired bodies. Argentina looked a little more wobbly when NZ kicked, especially long. Saw a couple of balls juggled around the 22.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Argies were very good and fronted up in defence. I can t remember seeing a game in recent times when the ABs made so many unforced errors and really did not look in sync at times.
Id like to see Naisarani or Valentini start to offset that Argie back row as well but maybe Rennie will have other ideas? We need to play to our own strengths rather than to play to counter theirs.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
We definitely need players protecting our ball. ABs couldn't set a platform because every ruck/maul argies contested and stymied their attack. NZ were flustered at the breakdown and therefore impatient in attack

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Argies were very good and fronted up in defence. I can t remember seeing a game in recent times when the ABs made so many unforced errors and really did not look in sync at times.
Id like to see Naisarani or Valentini start to offset that Argie back row as well but maybe Rennie will have other ideas? We need to play to our own strengths rather than to play to counter theirs.
I agree with your last sentence, but I’m not sure yet we know exactly what our biggest strengths are. I note that there appears a trend towards bigger back rows, although I’ll qualify that by also noting a lot of the best big back rowers have tremendous athletic capacity. Guys like PSTD & Itoje provide other quality and quantity. The Argies backrow are all big boys, but clearly have big engines too.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well this match just got a whole lot spicier.

Looking forward to the scrum battle, Argies battered the All Blacks there.

Keep the same team as Suncorp, maybe JO'C in at 10 if fit. Wright deserves to stay as does Banks. Probably promote Hanigan to starting 6 with Naisarani on the bench. Minimal change. Aus by 2 with a Hodge penalty to seal it in the 80th.
I agree with most of that except that I’m still not sold on Banks. Yes, last game was his best in gold but the whole team lifted and he was still only middle of the pack with regards to overall performance. By and large he’s pretty meh at this level. If there’s one player who deserves to stay based on last week it’s hodge, and with JOC (James O'Connor) likely to be returning at 10 I’d be moving Hodge back to 15 which is probably his best position.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Argentina won because they pinned the kiwis back in their own half, attacked the breakdown and forced kickable penalties.

If I was Rennie, I'd shift Hodge to 15 and let him return anything sent his way with interest. If the Argies are forced to play out of their 22, I don't think they'll look as threatening.

That said, the Australian forward pack needs to show up physically and protect its own ball if the Wobs are to win.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s a shame about the Bledisloe - but this has been set up to be a cracking Tri Nations series

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One possible advantage we might have is that the Argies will have a bit of a letdown after beating the world's best team. And hopefully they celebrated to the fullest, and still are!

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Nobody's ever won a World Cup game after beating the All Blacks the week before, so hoping to see the same here!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Seeing images of both JOC (James O'Connor) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) seemingly in full training mode the last couple of days. No sign of a James Slipper though. I’m guessing he is done for the year sadly. He has been one of our best.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Watching that Argie backrow shows how much Hanigan is not a test match player. Sure he may be a hard working but he brings no physicality to the game. If we want to compete with Matero and Kremmer then I wouldn't look at Ned doing. I agree with TSR above - bring back Isi.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Watching that Argie backrow shows how much Hanigan is not a test match player. Sure he may be a hard working but he brings no physicality to the game. If we want to compete with Matero and Kremmer then I wouldn't look at Ned doing. I agree with TSR above - bring back Isi.
He has to be accurate though. He has a tendency to lose the pill in contact and at times is not great at going forward( the SRAU semi). We cannot turn over the ball much.
He might be good if fit and more accurate than previously. Going into the game just to counter the perceived Argie strengths should be secondary. We need to finish with a fast accurate pack. They will likely run out of steam a bit in the last 20.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

Yes. I think Isi Naisarani at 8, Wilson 6, Hooper 7 with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) back to lock.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The Argie 2nd XV spanked the Wobs 2nd XV a few weeks ago didn't they?

Is that at all concerning? I imagine the Argies have been in camp together for ages, whilst the Wobs 2nd XV was thrown together with blokes who were coming from camp and clubland.