• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At this stage it's entirely hypothetical. There's no evidence to suggest that Cheika wouldn't have dropped Hooper even if he'd had a run of poor form just as there's no evidence to suggest that Rennie would drop Hooper if he had a few poor games despite being captain.

It's probably the main reason he's been consistently picked by the last four coaches almost without fail since his debut and a significant reason why the last three coaches have made him captain.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I never said he did. So I doubt he will be dropped.

I agree on resting for a game. I also very much doubt it will be this weekend, they have had 2 weeks off already and he is very much needed against a firing Argentina. Who will play 6 is really the only big question mark. And the Hodge V JOC (James O'Connor) dilemma.

JOC (James O'Connor) out with a foot injury. Hodge apparently is set to retain the 10 spot.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
At this stage it's entirely hypothetical. There's no evidence to suggest that Cheika wouldn't have dropped Hooper even if he'd had a run of poor form just as there's no evidence to suggest that Rennie would drop Hooper if he had a few poor games despite being captain.

It's probably the main reason he's been consistently picked by the last four coaches almost without fail since his debut and a significant reason why the last three coaches have made him captain.

Rennie said at the start of his tenure that Hooper must earn his spot like the rest of the players. The fact he has dropped so many player for average performances is suggesting he wouldn't hesitate to drop the captain either.

Many people believed Cheika had his favourites which he picked on 'gut feel' rather then logic.

So I disagree. There is already evidence to suggest Rennie chooses his players very differently.

But anyway, it's a complete moot point because for the 10th time, Hooper will not be dropped on form.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Makes the decision easy for Rennie then. Would have been very curious to see which way he would have gone if both were fit and healthy.

think Rennie would've opted for experience, with Hodge & DHP at 12 & 15.

O'Connor 10, Wright 11, Hodge 12, Petaia 13, Koroibete 14, Haylett-Petty 15.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think Hodge at 5/8 will work against the Pumas, I don’t think the Wallabies forwards will have the same ascendency as they did against the All Blacks, and the backline will need greater ball distribution from the 5/8, which isn’t Hodges strong point. There’s a real risk with the pumas rush defence and physicality in the forwards that will put more pressure on the halves.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think Hodge at 5/8 will work against the Pumas, I don’t think the Wallabies forwards will have the same ascendency as they did against the All Blacks, and the backline will need greater ball distribution from the 5/8, which isn’t Hodges strong point. There’s a real risk with the pumas rush defence and physicality in the forwards that will put more pressure on the halves.

A major strength with Hodge-10 was defending in the channel and that will be at least as effective against the Pumas as the ABs.

In attack he is solid if not innovative. If he harnesses the the short kicking to position in attack could really help here. It would be useful having a second play maker at 12/15 - a second option at least if he gets pushed deep.

I see little reason for massive changes, plenty of reason to double down and focus. Equally it has become a game that will not work for deep experimentation and extended time to the next gen.

Double down.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Add to that Hodge will likely be 10 for the same reason he was against the All Blacks, that being that all the other experienced options are injured.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A major strength with Hodge-10 was defending in the channel and that will be at least as effective against the Pumas as the ABs.

In attack he is solid if not innovative. If he harnesses the the short kicking to position in attack could really help here. It would be useful having a second play maker at 12/15 - a second option at least if he gets pushed deep.

I see little reason for massive changes, plenty of reason to double down and focus. Equally it has become a game that will not work for deep experimentation and extended time to the next gen.

Double down.

He did all the basics very well - he kicks, tackles, runs and passes effectively and reliably

That isn't a bad thing

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I worry DHP or Banks at 15 may not have the long kicking game to counter Carreras (or Boffelli if he is selected). We don't want to be stuck in our half trying to defend our own ruck from Matera and Kremer or trying to break through the Puma's strong defensive line.

The alternative is to have Hodge switch back to 15 for clearances, but as we've seen that can negatively affect our defensive positioning and lead to confusion.

It might be worth bringing Maddocks into 15 as he's looked quite good in the Australia XV games and has quite a big kick on him which may allow us to counter the Puma's main strength. That said it would be a big call from Rennie to bring him straight into the starting side.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I can see McDermott losing his bench role. I imagine box kicking is once again going to be rather important, particularly getting out of our 22.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Personally, I'd like to see Hodge get another run at 10, but one thing Rennie hasn't done is double down on his last game selections. Won't be at all surprised if there are 3 or 4 personnel changes coming into this test.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Tirinui's podcast described closer to Butch James than Larkham

Butch James played behind a consistently, physically dominant forward pack, so far, ive only seen an occasionally dominant Wallabies forward pack. We need plan B, i.e. the ability to use the backline in case that fails.