• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Play hardball. Yeah - he might become disinterested but it's the precedent that's important.

I do think they should set up a Japanese sabbatical system for as long as they intend to keep selections closed, though.

Absolutely it’s the precedent which is dangerous, what you don’t want are Japanese clubs approaching players still under contract encouraging them to break it for more money. You also don’t want managers shopping players around who are still under contract, it’s a bad look. If you’re going to release Marika, why not Tupou, AAA, Wilson.. why stop at him

I don’t expect Marika will be disinterested, he is a professional athlete paid to play rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Think we will see a lot more doom and gloom from the News Ltd papers and the reporting being pushed further back from the back page. They must think rugby fans are all halfwit morons that believe anything if it’s printed in the paper.

Interesting that Wayne Smith isn’t involved with the negativity.

They seem to be able to get Halloran and Pandaram to take all the pot shots .
There is some new dude putting the boot in this weekend in the Australian - Julien Linden. Obviously a league journalist.

Wayne Smith openly says he won’t participate in the shit kicking. Despite Slim’s opinion of him he genuinely seems to be an honest journalist, like all of them his opinions aren’t always on target but at least he’s pro rugby. I’m surprised he still has a job at News.

The other f***knuckles are clearly mouthpieces for their Corporate arm.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Plus if Koroibete decided to not put in for 12 months there is significant risk his contract value is going on diminish anyway. Far better to see out his contract in great form. He is young enough to still sign a significant contract at the end of his current period.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Interesting, the Rebels posted on Twitter this morning with mention of Mal Maninga and there would be an announcement at 5pm today but then deleted the tweet. Tease much?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting, the Rebels posted on Twitter this morning with mention of Mal Maninga and there would be an announcement at 5pm today but then deleted the tweet. Tease much?
Might have been the article on Pone Fam....sili. Apparently nickname Mal according to the blurb. ?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
EnLmV9aVEAImtA5

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's a long way from confirmed at this stage, just a post by some bloke on reddit. Not saying it won't happen but I'd wait until it actually does to get upset

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Reddit lol.

That said, if RA caved and let him go mid-contract we are in for a world of shit.

Also fuck me that is an overvaluation. He's an above average league winger who took two years to learn rugby properly. I love him, and i love the effort he puts in - but he's hardly 2.7m worth of winger. Shit his butter hands in the second test alone demonstrate that.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Mahe Vailanu, who played a couple of games off the Rebels bench in 2018 has been signed out of Gordon to the LA Giltinis (stupid name) in the MLR. Head honcho Adam Freier’s influence there, me thinks.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Reddit lol.

That said, if RA caved and let him go mid-contract we are in for a world of shit.

Also fuck me that is an overvaluation. He's an above average league winger who took two years to learn rugby properly. I love him, and i love the effort he puts in - but he's hardly 2.7m worth of winger. Shit his butter hands in the second test alone demonstrate that.

It's not an unbelievably huge contract for Japan, by all accounts teams there are throwing around ridiculous cash. I'd imagine Beauden, Brodie and Pocock are/were on similar or even larger contracts.

That said I'm not sure where this guy's getting his figures from. It's pretty rare for Top League teams to publish anything about players contracts.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Mahe Vailanu, who played a couple of games off the Rebels bench in 2018 has been signed out of Gordon to the LA Giltinis (stupid name) in the MLR. Head honcho Adam Freier’s influence there, me thinks.

Darren Coleman, Gordon Coach, is coaching LA. Mahe played at Gordon this year. There will be a few Aussie boys in that squad.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
it was very nice to see some pink shirts running around in the rain at AAMI this morning. Too far away and going too fast to see actual faces though.

Would be nice if the Rebels finally bit the bullet and moved away from the Blue jersey to Pink (Or any other color not worn in Super Rugby.) 3 out of 5 teams having a blue kit is a bit laughable at this stage.