• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
BK, Pasitoa and Noah were all there way before Henry so they probably had more time with coaches etc. I think he would have had to blow them all away significantly at training to get a shot, and training isn't exactly the place to prove your game ability.
I haven’t seen Henry play since 2019 and can’t comment on his development, other than he didn’t impress the coaches at the Brumbies enough to elevate him above Noah, Bailey or Reesjan. In saying that he’s obviously not at the level of Super Rugby to replace Hegarty.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds have signed Tom Lynagh, son of Michael Lynagh until 2023, is 17 years old, will join the squad once he finishes school in August next year and is in the Harlequins and English Academy as a 5/8.
CD2E9A37-E2F8-4136-B018-9D3473C3AD4C.jpeg

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2e6d49ef4708a6dd4405f982930e6350

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Reds have signed Tom Lynagh, son of Michael Lynagh until 2023, is 17 years old, will join the squad once he finishes school in August next year and is in the Harlequins and English Academy as a 5/8.View attachment 11940
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2e6d49ef4708a6dd4405f982930e6350
Tremendous. Absolutely fucking tremendous. Lynagh you legend.
Future looking good with Tom Lynagh, Mac Grealy and Taj Annan coming through the ranks. Let’ not rush them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tremendous. Absolutely fucking tremendous. Lynagh you legend.
Future looking good with Tom Lynagh, Mac Grealy and Taj Annan coming through the ranks. Let’ not rush them.
Absolutely. I have no idea of this guys ability, but looks just the right age group to come through as JOC (James O'Connor) finishes.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Our backline looking solid over the next few years, now to focus on the forwards. Lynagh might be able to get us onto a couple of locks, a hooker and a few more props.

EDIT - a developing scrum half wouldn’t go astray

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
His older brother is pretty talented having played u16s for England, listened to him interviewed on a podcast with his dad and he came off well.

No idea about the younger one but it's a safe signing even if he has 10% the talent his dad did.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Our backline looking solid over the next few years, now to focus on the forwards. Lynagh might be able to get us onto a couple of locks, a hooker and a few more props.

EDIT - a developing scrum half wouldn’t go astray
Isn’t there a very talented IGS (?) kid finishing this year that signed with the Reds during COVID?

Edit: at 9 I mean

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reds have signed Tom Lynagh, son of Michael Lynagh until 2023, is 17 years old, will join the squad once he finishes school in August next year and is in the Harlequins and English Academy as a 5/8.

Looks like a great signing, though it'll be a few years until he's playing super rugby. The highlight reel in that article looks like he's got plenty of potential so fingers crossed he comes good.

Article also mentions the reds are keen to re-sign JOC (James O'Connor) until 2023, probably more so now as a mentor to Lynagh.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Looks like a great signing, though it'll be a few years until he's playing super rugby. The highlight reel in that article looks like he's got plenty of potential so fingers crossed he comes good.

Article also mentions the reds are keen to re-sign JOC (James O'Connor) until 2023, probably more so now as a mentor to Lynagh.

I think JOC (James O'Connor) has adapted his game enough to still be a valuable player in 2023. He could end up being a great mentor as well.

Obviously a lot depends on how he comes back from these last few injuries. He's already slowed down a lot compared to his Rabbit years for the Force and Rebels, and these lower body knocks aren't going to help in that department. But I thought his game management for the Reds last year was great, he played a bit deeper and steered the ship when we were under pressure.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I’ve heard Michael Lynagh on TV or podcasts be asked about his sons. Apparently the older one (fullback, Louis) is a fun and highly rated at quins. Don’t know much about the younger one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see where Tom and Mason Gordon compare. Both just finishing school as captain of their firsts. Both straight into Super Rugby squads. Tom with the benefit of the Harlequins academy, Mason with the QRU system (albeit nothing much this year).

Full squad is basically known by the way, a few little peripheral players to be finalised (don't expect any big names etc). Delays all on the back of the bigger rugby picture and finalising what funding the states are getting, squad sizes etc.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought Michael and his boys were living in England. Does anyone have any more info? Is Tom coming here an indication the family is coming home? Could his brother, Louis, also be targeted? I had been resigned to seeing Louis pulling on an England jersey (he seems more English than Aussie anyway).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Seems like an interesting selection. While I am sure Tom is a good player, Louis seems to be the talent and he is on course to play in the Premiership with the pathway to England open. I'd love to see some footage of him playing, obviously hasn't done anything in almost 12 months with Covid restrictions.

At least Uni will get another Reds player.