• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Given there were only two Australian games each week, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that most people commenting watched the overwhelming majority of Reds games in Super Rugby AU.

Yeah nah.
Yeah we are left with the rusted who are watching the games. Nah, being a fan watching, going to a few games, and being an independent are two different things.

Understanding what Stewart does for the team comes from thinking he was the next 10, him showing promise there, it not working, finding a new slot, watching him develop there.

An appreciation of Stewart requires more than “watched the games in 2020”.

We will see anyway, Paisami is a fab talent. I just don’t see him waltzing into Red 12 with a gold jersey. He may certainly get there, it is not a slam dunk.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone recognise any new faces??

F5955426-7F23-4E58-B412-A902DF80CF67.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Flook, Henry, Grealy, Kalani Thomas, Nonggor and Harry Vella all look to be in the squad. They were involved this year but good to see them still involved. Another big unit, who’s a prop/hooker which I recognise but can’t remember the name of in there also

Of note, there is no CFS, Wood, Kibble, Fotuaika, Farrel or Maloula. Noting the injury rate of some of those they may just be doing rehab.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone know what's going on with the Smith Boyz?

They could have been in the frame for Wallabies squad, but I remember seeing something about them saying goodbye to the Reds, but not heard anything more?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I mean kinda a shame for the Reds I did feel like they were maybe one good session away from a Wallabies Jersey. But good for them, probably two of the best scrumagers to have never been capped.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Let’s put some perspective on 2021. The numbers across the positions work, with Stewart and Hegarty covering flyhalf

Hookers:
Mafi
Paenga-Amosa
Nasser

Props:
Tupou
Fotuaika ?
Hoopert
Zander
Nonggor
Vella

Locks:
Salakaia-Loto
Blythe
Tualima
Blythe

Backrow:
Wilson
McReight
Wright
Scott-Young
Uru

Scrumhalf:
McDermott
Sorovi
Thomas

Flyhalf:
O'Connor

Centres:
Stewart
Petaia
Paisami
Henry
Flook
Creighton

Wings:
Vunivalu
Daugunu
Hardy

Fullback:
Hegarty
Campbell
Grealy

Reds Development Squad:
Lynagh
Annan

CFS would solidify the centres and wing, but injuries are a concern.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I mean kinda a shame for the Reds I did feel like they were maybe one good session away from a Wallabies Jersey. But good for them, probably two of the best scrumagers to have never been capped.

The Reds probably told them they were going with youth so they decided to look elsewhere.

They’re 31 next season and yes props get better with age etc. but there are so many guys in the Reds squad and on their radar who are in their early 20s with probably just as much ability.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Flook, Henry, Grealy, Kalani Thomas, Nonggor and Harry Vella all look to be in the squad. They were involved this year but good to see them still involved. Another big unit, who’s a prop/hooker which I recognise but can’t remember the name of in there also

Of note, there is no CFS, Wood, Kibble, Fotuaika, Farrel or Maloula. Noting the injury rate of some of those they may just be doing rehab.
Hopefully CFS, Wood & Fotuaika are still around the group at least.

I assume they probably couldn’t resign Malolua because he isn’t Wallabies eligible. Which would be a shame if correct as it would be good to keep him one more year at least if our third halfback is a kid first year out of school.

I thought I remembered reading that Farrell was a victim of his ties to Piccone.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah as much as we've got some really really good (and young) options in those positions, I would really like to see CFS retained. He's a very good player covers centre and wing very well and can really turn a match when he stands up. Plus he's a good guy to have around the young squad, because he's so experienced he's been that kid sensation and he's seen it slip between his fingers, and often those people who have made the mistakes are better to have than those guys who have never made a mistake in their life.

Having said that, we are pretty stacked in the positions he covers, so maybe he's not necessary.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Hopefully CFS, Wood & Fotuaika are still around the group at least.

I assume they probably couldn’t resign Malolua because he isn’t Wallabies eligible. Which would be a shame if correct as it would be good to keep him one more year at least if our third halfback is a kid first year out of school.

I thought I remembered reading that Farrell was a victim of his ties to Piccone.
Fotuaika was signed for 2021 unless they come to an agreement.
Are there any Piccone players left?

EDIT: CFS hasn’t popped up in any pre-season posts with the Brums or Rebs.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, LH Smith could have started for the Wallabies, but injury during the middle of the season probably kept him out of contention.