• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Personally I'd like for Stoinis not to get picked just to spite Shane Warne.

He still managed to spend a long time yesterday talking about him.

I am an unabashed fanboy of Moises Henriques though. Great to see him get an opportunity again and play really well. His catch to dismiss Kohli was a screamer.
“He’s just got a bit of x-factor about him.”

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pucovski lives round the corner from me - very unassuming bloke. Guess he'd be same height as Warner just not as stocky. Preeeeeeetty big ask for him to open up on the 17th. I'm loving the rugby transition into cricket overlapping, never bored.

How long will Warner be out for?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't see it so wondering how legit or otherwise was Jadeja's concussion replacement? Did he look at all in Disneyland or its environs? Or did India game the reg as someone was bound to sooner or later?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Didn't see it so wondering how legit or otherwise was Jadeja's concussion replacement? Did he look at all in Disneyland or its environs? Or did India game the reg as someone was bound to sooner or later?
It certainly wasn’t a clear and obvious concussion on the tv a la Steve Smith last year and from my admittedly biased perspective it looks like they gamed the system. However, the major grievance from the Australians was that Chahal wasn’t a like for like replacement with Jadeja an all-rounder and Chahal a bowler.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ like for like is one of those things that's easy to say but hard to define. On the basis that no-one's likely to deliberately take one on the head in order to get subbed & that a match referee is in no real position to dispute that a player has been concussed, you either allow subs or you don't. I personally wouldn't 'cos it just opens the door to all kinds of shenanigans, as appears to have happened here.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Starc out due to a family illness. He hasn’t looked himself thus far, hopefully everything goes ok for he and Alyssa.

Meanwhile, the rest of our bowers need to finish the job when we are into the lower middle order. Twice we’ve underestimated Jadeja and he’s made a game of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Has there ever been a year when Mitch Starc has been firing from the get go. None that I remember. My impression is that he takes quite a while of playing cricket to get to top form. He needs to be bowled for the full quota of overs in every game he is available for early in the season.

EDIT : just preferably not with the new ball until he develops control over his swing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Has there ever been a year when Mitch Starc has been firing from the get go. None that I remember. My impression is that he takes quite a while of playing cricket to get to top form. He needs to be bowled for the full quota of overs in every game he is available for early in the season.

EDIT : just preferably not with the new ball until he develops control over his swing.
Agree but I think his family issues were an added distraction this time.

Good news is we won the final t20, Zampa and Swepson were really good with the ball. Bad news is that Pucovski copped a blow to the helmet and went off with concussion in the Australia A game. Thankfully, the symptoms are only mild, I just hope it doesn’t get in his head too much and he can continue his Shield form.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Basin Reserve groundsman left 17mm of grass on the playing strip, more than on the outfield & had WI catching supported their bowling better NZ would've made 300 tops. As it is we're 330/6 at the new ball & Henry Nicholls has stepped up in the absence of Captain Kane (paternity duties) with 130-odd n.o. having not passed 50 in his last 13 innings.

Should flatten out & be a road come days 4 & 5 so unless WI bat terribly and/ or NZ bowl & field outstandingly this has D & a 1-0 series win to NZ written all over it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WI 42/4 at tea chasing 460. I'll have to watch the highlights to confirm but I suspect poor batting against good rather than unplayable bowling & pitch condition.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ doesn't seem to have been too much of a problem, fielding in the slips & has taken two catches. Maybe one of those so-called funny bone knocks that hurt like hell for a bit but cause no lasting discomfort.

WI 124/8 at stumps, Jamieson has a five-for & a Test bowling average of about 14. So WI batting terribly & NZ bowling & fielding outstandingly as predicted above :) As I mentioned to a workmate earlier today, the likes of Gordon Greenidge, Sirs Viv & Clive, Joel Garner & possibly Keith Arthurton are wondering "WTF be up, man? This never would have happened in my day."

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gotta say we're looking real scratchy heading into the first test. For starters are we going to have 11 fit blokes who are test standard?

I'm very concerned about the top order. No bugger is making any runs, apart from Pucovski and he copped one on the scone.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ & a series v Pakistan next whereas an under-done Straya gets India. So, of course, it's gunna be Straya 4-0 India & back-to-back NZ v Pakistan washouts :-(

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Gotta say we're looking real scratchy heading into the first test. For starters are we going to have 11 fit blokes who are test standard?

I'm very concerned about the top order. No bugger is making any runs, apart from Pucovski and he copped one on the scone.
Fortunately, Smith goes to the next level with no one else standing up but definitely seems like we’ll be relying on he and Labuschagne for the bulk of the runs. Hopefully with some handy contributions with Head it will be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.