• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The other sides have a ground and the chance of getting some revenue

Tahs reached an agreement with the NSW Govt when the SFS was knocked down that remunerated them for this issue, they have grounds they can play at

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Tahs reached an agreement with the NSW Govt when the SFS was knocked down that remunerated them for this issue, they have grounds they can play at

But they don't have a home ground at the moment, pretty hard to sell commercial season boxes or season tickets as each game are TBA and played all over the shop

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sorry you've lived here supporting the Tahs for HOW long, and still haven't twigged to their back office shenanigans?

What back office shenanigans? The Tahs have plenty of flaws, and certainly the NSWRU hasn't covered themselves in glory, but in terms of the operation of a rugby team the Tahs back office have been fine enough. Or maybe I've missed something.

TheNude

Peter Burge (5)
I wonder how much the stadium development has hurt the bottom line. I think they're getting some compensation but 2 years of no changes to how crowds/memberships has to have to have had some impact.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You look at the Tahs squad for next year - it is pretty uninspiring as not many Wallabies and not much real potential wallaby super stars for the future in there...

I can't believe how Tahs have become such a weak state side cf other super rugby franchises....raging favourites for wooden spoon next year given Force who they were above on wooden spoon stakes have recruited heavily with Twiggy wallet....

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
You look at the Tahs squad for next year - it is pretty uninspiring as not many Wallabies and not much real potential wallaby super stars for the future in there.

I can't believe how Tahs have become such a weak state side cf other super rugby franchises..raging favourites for wooden spoon next year given Force who they were above on wooden spoon stakes have recruited heavily with Twiggy wallet..

Angus Bell?
Will Harrison?
Will Harris?
James Ramm?
Lachlan Swinton?
Harry Johnson Holmes??

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Angus Bell?
Will Harrison?
Will Harris?
James Ramm?
Lachlan Swinton?
Harry Johnson Holmes??

Angus Bell - he was top of mind as candidate - it was beyond him
Will Harrison? - too early to call wallaby potential imo....
Will Harris? - too early to call and actually not convinced wallaby in waiting as not really locked down super rugby spot yet
James Ramm? - promising start but wallaby still too early to call despite squad place - but certainly lock on super rugby place
Lachlan Swinton? - yep granted - showed lot of potential in the minutes he got before first test
Harry Johnson Holmes? - lock for super rugby place - wallaby potential....hmm - ok give you that

So in short yes granted Angus Belll...and give you Swinton...and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) - but rest I personally would like to see more to call real wallaby potential

Ps...yes I probably should temper my comment to be a little less harsh - but looking for genuine real super stars was maybe more my thinking...Bell definitely to my mind has that potential - Swinton raw but yes maybe potential to do that...HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) less convinced to be genuine super star quality

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I think you can add a couple more

Jack Maddocks as a 15, he looks possibly the most complete we have IMHO
Joey Walton, a child but looks pretty good IMHO

I like what I've seen of Walton. Seems good on defence, has a solid passing game and some pace.
Once he bulks up he could be in line for a shot at the Wallabies 13 jersey.

Maddocks is frustrating. He has all the skills to be an international 15, but seems like he can be rattled easily. If he gets some consistency in his game he'd easily be the Wallabies fullback.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ps.yes I probably should temper my comment to be a little less harsh - but looking for genuine real super stars was maybe more my thinking.Bell definitely to my mind has that potential - Swinton raw but yes maybe potential to do that.HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) less convinced to be genuine super star quality

Superstars help you sell tickets but I think outside of locks things are moving in the right direction for the Tahs.

We definitely lack depth at the moment but the matchday 23 looks pretty solid.

1. Bell
2. Horton
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Wykes
5. Whetton
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

16. Porecki 17. Faulkner 18. Tauakipulu 19. Caird 20. Harris 21. Robertson 22. Donaldson 23. Nawaqanitawase.

Most of our best players are still on the way up which is the position we want to be in. Lock is still a weakness and we are going to be relying on a lot of young players to fill out our squad who may be needed to differing degrees during 2021.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Superstars help you sell tickets but I think outside of locks things are moving in the right direction for the Tahs.

1. Bell
2. Horton
4. Wykes
5. Whetton
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

16. Porecki 17. Faulkner 18. Tauakipulu 19. Caird 20. Harris 21. Robertson 22. Donaldson 23. Nawaqanitawase.

Most of our best players are still on the way up which is the position we want to be in. Lock is still a weakness and we are going to be relying on a lot of young players to fill out our squad who may be needed to differing degrees during 2021.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gamble get a run at 7 at some time

Alex Ross (28)
Tahs instagram this morning notes Moeroa a 13.
I also saw Harry Wilson all dressed up in Blue Tah gear.

No, not that Harry Wilson. There is another. And a Teddy Wilson scrummy.

Will Harris
Teddy Wilson
Will Harrison
Harry Wilson
What is going on?????

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

1. Bell
2. Horton
4. Wykes
5. Whetton
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

Yep I guess that is maybe the point - ‘solid’ does not grow audiences...we need a sprinkling of genuine superstars amongst the solid. At this point the tahs certainly don’t seem to have any super stars like the Barrett’s etc - not expecting a team of super stars but a sprinkling yes.

Alex Ross (28)
Yep I guess that is maybe the point - ‘solid’ does not grow audiences.we need a sprinkling of genuine superstars amongst the solid. At this point the tahs certainly don’t seem to have any super stars like the Barrett’s etc - not expecting a team of super stars but a sprinkling yes.
I think that is a bit unfair on the young guys. I think there is certainly potential there. Bell and Swinton in the pack have the attributes to be crowd pleasers in different ways. Harris also is set to make an impact too. In the backs we have the makings of some great Wingers and people sell Maddocks way short.
Nobody is a superstar, until they are.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I think that is a bit unfair on the young guys. I think there is certainly potential there. Bell and Swinton in the pack have the attributes to be crowd pleasers in different ways. Harris also is set to make an impact too. In the backs we have the makings of some great Wingers and people sell Maddocks way short.
Nobody is a superstar, until they are.

Agreed, there's at least 10 players in the squad with the potential to be superstars.

Give it a few years and I reckon the Waratahs will have loads of household names.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

1. Bell
2. Horton
4. Wykes
5. Whetton
6. Swinton
7. Tizzano
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Harrison
11. Ramm
12. Moeroa
13. Walton
14. Newsome
15. Maddocks

Who would be the most likely captain out of that motley mob? Dempsey?