• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yep exactly - in the last 12 months several much more important people than Pablo Matera have been forced to resign from various roles due to this type of thing. I have no sympathy for these guys - don't post that stuff/clean up your social media.

But why delete? Lets just judge everybody by what they say and how they acted as a teenager and ensure your employer has the right to sack you at cause

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime.” Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria was Stalin’s chief of the Soviet secret police

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But why delete? Lets just judge everybody by what they say and how they acted as a teenager and ensure your employer has the right to sack you at cause

Why delete? Because something you did a long time ago that you might not stand by can damage your reputation if it comes to light.

It causes reputational damage to the UAR/Pumas and Matera now because this is when it has become known.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So he shouldn't be sacked because he said some racist stuff 10 years ago as a teenager but because he inadequately covered up the fact that he said some racist stuff as a teenager?

How did the invention of the internet suddenly remove the entire human races capacity for a reasonable response to anything.

Like - that sort of thing pre-internet might've garnered 'ah well, we were all dumb teens once. No point holding it against him now'.

Not everyone can manage their internet persona like some multinational corporation marketing arm.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So he shouldn't be sacked because he said some racist stuff 10 years ago as a teenager but because he inadequately covered up the fact that he said some racist stuff as a teenager?

How did the invention of the internet suddenly remove the entire human races capacity for a reasonable response to anything.

Like - that sort of thing pre-internet might've garnered 'ah well, we were all dumb teens once. No point holding it against him now'.

Not everyone can manage their internet persona like some multinational corporation marketing arm.

Well, hard to see how it would have been unearthed today if they had all been deleted.

UAR have taken action because it has become an issue now. It's far less likely that would have happened if the tweets weren't still published.

Absolutely nothing would have happened pre-internet because no one would have ever known about it.

This isn't complicated. It's an issue for UAR now and they have dealt with it in the first instance by standing Matera down as captain and from one test. I am not sure what the story is with the other two players. Overall I can't imagine the punishment will be particularly harsh and he will be back playing for the Pumas next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Given Hanigan is leaving for Japan I'd be pretty disappointed if we picked him again. Surely this game is perfect for a Valetini or a Wright.

I'm not sure it will happen Barb, but I like the logic. By the same logic, Hosea should come in to the 23 for Rob Simmons. Philip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Hosea would be the strongest, if not most experienced second row we would have put out all year if it were to happen.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure it will happen Barb, but I like the logic. By the same logic, Hosea should come in to the 23 for Rob Simmons. Philip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Hosea would be the strongest, if not most experienced second row we would have put out all year if it were to happen.

I dunno, I thought Simmons was pretty strong in his last two tests. Big call to say Hosea is an improvement on that.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Not quite the same there - Simmons is still eligible for Wallabies selection via the Giteau law.

Personally I'd like to see Hosea given a run as well, but dropping Hanigan and Simmons out might be a bit too much change, particularly around the lineout. Doesn't hurt Simmons' chances that he had his best game in a long time in his last start. Wouldn't be amazed to see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 with Simmons and Phillip in the locks and Hosea on the bench though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everyone is still eligible aren't they? It has been agreed that Rennie can bring in two players from overseas.

Hanigan has signed a one year contract in Japan. He could easily return to Australia in the middle of next year, sign a contract for 2022 and play for the Wallabies next year (under the old eligibility rules).

I think Rennie will select who he thinks his best 23 is. He'll be desperate for a win and also figure that there isn't a huge amount to be gained by someone getting their first test or some extra minutes in the final game of a season when the next test isn't for 7 months.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope someone is in talks with Rodda in regards to a return to Super rugby next year. I’m sure both the Tahs and the Force could use him.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems like one of the main racist tweets in question was sent he was representing Argentina at the 2012 under 19 RWC.

Yep seems he was silly, but to be honest not sure I will have the energy to stay up until 12 Sat now, I somehow think game has just probably lost a bit of interest.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree BH. And while Hanigan has by no means been setting the world on fire I suspect he is largely doing the job he is being put out there to do - at least to a level above where any of the others candidates for the 6 jersey will be able to.

Rennie may well decide Hanigan hasn’t really fired a give someone else a crack, but it won’t surprise me if he doesn’t. Unfortunately we don’t have a ball tearing, athletic, high work rate 6 at present.

I expect minimal changes. I’d retain Tupou personally and probably the only change would be JOC (James O'Connor) in at 10 if fit, with Hodge possibly dropping back to 15, although I think Banks has been ok. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & McDermott onto the bench and Daugunu probably missing out to either Banks or Hodge.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why delete? Because something you did a long time ago that you might not stand by can damage your reputation if it comes to light.

It causes reputational damage to the UAR/Pumas and Matera now because this is when it has become known.
No, you don't understand. I want to be able to go back right through someone's life and judge them by their thoughts irrespective of whether they have changed or not. Why should I judge and cancel them only by their current actions and words? It's unfair that I can't go back and judge them by something they clearly regret now.

Edit - I suddenly realise I am gonna have to stipulate that as sarcasm. Some people might not not understand that and ask again "why delete?"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No, you don't understand. I want to be able to go back right through someone's life and judge them by their thoughts irrespective of whether they have changed or not. Why should I judge and cancel them only by their current actions and words? It's unfair that I can't go back and judge them by something they clearly regret now.

Edit - I suddenly realise I am gonna have to stipulate that as sarcasm. Some people might not not understand that and ask again "why delete?"

Agree, it is utterly ridiculous. I’d like to think we’ve all been smart enough to grow in attitudes and beliefs since 20. God knows I’m glad I have.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Those tweets were pretty bloody bad though. He was in a professional environment and the attitude is unforgivable. I'm frankly surprised that such horrid attitudes could come out of South America. I'd want our players to be sanctioned if they came out publically spouting this divisive hatred. And screw anyone excusing it because of age. He was well old enough and well traveled to make an opinion.