• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I did not think MLR was paying anywhere near Super Rugby contract wages the smiths were on.or have I missed something.

I’ve asked the same question on here before and apparently there is some big money being thrown around now. Also the competition is going to be much easier so I guess career longevity a consideration.

But yes I agree, for a comp who previously was targeting QPR players and semi retired blokes (Ma’a Nonu) the jump to signing currently contracted Super rugby players seems interesting.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’ve asked the same question on here before and apparently there is some big money being thrown around now. Also the competition is going to be much easier so I guess career longevity a consideration.

But yes I agree, for a comp who previously was targeting QPR players and semi retired blokes (Ma’a Nonu) the jump to signing currently contracted Super rugby players seems interesting.

Interesting and concerning for continuing and potentially accelerating the drain of rugby players from Australian Rugby.....

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I have no issues about all that. But there are a lot of other factors, they'd probably be big into lifestyle factors, you'd not have too many better opertunites to go to the US to play rugby. Plus Super Rugby is fucking hard, like really really hard, especially for props. I remember Matt Giteau taking about it, and he was saying French or Japanese Rugby is so much easier than Super Rugby. And that was only in comparison to Super Rugby AU.

Maybe JP & Ruan go to the US and extend their careers by like 5 years.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

The MLR salary cap is US$500k (AUD$677k) so the salaries are fairly ordinary even for Super Rugby standards. What they can offer is covering of expenses and the major benefit to some players is the contract is only for 6months of the year so eligible for other competitions like Mitre10 or in many cases work a job for the other 6 months of the year without any professional obligations.

I’d presume if you are a good player you could earn $50-60k for 6 months and have all your expenses covered.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The MLR salary cap is US$500k (AUD$677k) so the salaries are fairly ordinary even for Super Rugby standards. What they can offer is covering of expenses and the major benefit to some players is the contract is only for 6months of the year so eligible for other competitions like Mitre10 or in many cases work a job for the other 6 months of the year without any professional obligations.

I’d presume if you are a good player you could earn $50-60k for 6 months and have all your expenses covered.
The average wage in MLR is about $60k usd, so about $80k aud, so you're about right. As you say, all expenses paid for a 6 month gig, not too bad. I'd be interested to know what Super Rugby is paying a regular playerafter the broadcast deal has been finalised

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Unsure how true this is but I've heard rumours that a lot of players in the MLR, particularly bigger name players, get 'benefits' on top of their reported wage (basically a way of skirting the salary cap). This is supposedly more common in some teams compared to others.

Does the MLR have any sort of 'marque player' program that falls outside the cap?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder when the boys will head over. The USA is currently still reporting something like 100k new COVID cases a day if I’m reading the data right.

When you look at comps like the NFL who are being decimated by players being put into isolation, I wonder how a smaller tier comp such as MLR is going to handle it all.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The average wage in MLR is about $60k usd, so about $80k aud, so you're about right. As you say, all expenses paid for a 6 month gig, not too bad. I'd be interested to know what Super Rugby is paying a regular playerafter the broadcast deal has been finalised

Just spitballing based off some older contract figures I heard but I reckon the Smith boys would have been about $175-200k. That’s for 12 months so if you factor in the expenses paid they’re pretty much on the same money for 6 month gig.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Confirmation of what we already knew, however interesting to here their thoughts

“For me, going to the USA has always been a bucket list thing so to get in on the ground floor with a new club in LA makes it very appealing,” Ruan said of his two-season deal.

“JP and I always play our best rugby together. It’s that little boost you get on the field with your brother and it’s a real thing.

“I’m at a stage of my career where I want to experience something different and spend more time with my family so to be able to play hard and compete for six months a year in MLR is ideal.”

5AFFFA45-ACB3-43D2-85D4-B899D637090D.jpeg

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
So who's everyone's starting 15?

For game one, I'd like to see this 15, but I am pretty sure we will see lots of rotation and a couple of debuts at some point. Not sure if Jordy would ever go to fullback but I am not a big fan of a 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 12. Paisami 13. Jordy combination. Not enough good ball distribution and kicking game between them.

1. Hoopert
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Blyth
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright
7. McRieght
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Paisami
14. Jock
15. Petaia

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For game one, I'd like to see this 15, but I am pretty sure we will see lots of rotation and a couple of debuts at some point. Not sure if Jordy would ever go to fullback but I am not a big fan of a 10. JOC (James O'Connor) 12. Paisami 13. Jordy combination. Not enough good ball distribution and kicking game between them.

1. Hoopert
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Blyth
6. Wright
7. McRieght
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Paisami
14. Jock
15. Petaia

12 Paisami
13 Petaia
15 Jock

I’d think about Hegarty at 14.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd almost be interested in trying Stewart at 15 (10 in defense), although in the past when he's played from 15 he hasn't done well.

Also didn't Campbell shit the bed on the wing when tried there previously? I think Hegarty might find it tough to even break into the 23.

Also no one has Vunivalu starting? Surely he'd be played at 14, and we'd bomb to him pretty much any time we had advantage.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'd almost be interested in trying Stewart at 15 (10 in defense), although in the past when he's played from 15 he hasn't done well.

Also didn't Campbell shit the bed on the wing when tried there previously? I think Hegarty might find it tough to even break into the 23.

Also no one has Vunivalu starting? Surely he'd be played at 14, and we'd bomb to him pretty much any time we had advantage.

Now that you have mentioned Vunivalu, who I completely forgot about somehow, I would love to see Jordy at 15 and Vunivalu on the wing. I think Jordy could be a quality fullback, and Hunter is a natural 13, who I believe plays his best rugby there. Jock wouldn't make my 15. Hegarty wouldn't make my 23.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jock has been good at 15 as has Stewart at 12. Sadly both may fall victim to really strong backline. Going to be interesting to see if they play hunter and jordy as centre combo but given how performed at test level it got to be tempting for thorn. Which probably leaves Stewart and Campbell fighting for starting 15 with the loser on the bench.

Hegarty at best takes another bench spot or out of the 23 - of course injuries change that. CFS would be other bench option but if I was him I would be looking at the force for a gig.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

1. Hoopert
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Blyth
6. Wright
7. McRieght
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Daugunu
12. Stewart
13. Paisami
14. Jock
15. Petaia

If Paisami can replicate his recent performances then he is capable of being a dangerous inside centre, so long as we have a second playmaker at fullback, making Stewart a feasible option. The shuffle with Petaia and Paisami will determine the fullback option.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If Paisami can replicate his recent performances then he is capable of being a dangerous inside centre, so long as we have a second playmaker at fullback, making Stewart a feasible option. The shuffle with Petaia and Paisami will determine the fullback option.

If 15 needs be a second playmaker then it is Stewart. I love Jock at 15, he is excellent at organising the backline but he is not a playmaker.