• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I think we should all take a page out of AAAs book, just mentioned Matera would be a huge loss and that the Pumas would probably use this as a reason to prove something on Saturday.

In my experience its best to give these things a wide berth as coming from a completely different culture and time, you can tend to get yourself involved in something that (at least myself) don't fully understand.

Best to just concentrate on the rugby (that probably don't really understand either o_O).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Those tweets were pretty bloody bad though. He was in a professional environment and the attitude is unforgivable. I'm frankly surprised that such horrid attitudes could come out of South America. I'd want our players to be sanctioned if they came out publically spouting this divisive hatred. And screw anyone excusing it because of age. He was well old enough and well traveled to make an opinion.

I was interested by what some of the Argentinans fans said about it. Apparently they have similar issues in Argentina where it's seen as a really exclusive sport and only played by posh lads who went to expensive schools. And this is just another example of the rugby stereotype over there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And screw anyone excusing it because of age. He was well old enough and well traveled to make an opinion.

Gee thanks. :confused: FWIW I have avoided the tweets, so take your word on the horror. (I don’t need to seek out offence.) But sure, 20 is old enough to be held accountable. At 20.

The issue is not age. Is about time since the offence. And growth of an individual.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Gee thanks. :confused: FWIW I have avoided the tweets, so take your word on the horror. (I don’t need to seek out offence.) But sure, 20 is old enough to be held accountable. At 20.

The issue is not age. Is about time since the offence. And growth of an individual.
The timing sucks. The game thread is now filled with thoughts about a stupid and offensive tweet from a 20 year old 9-7 years ago. Couldn't they have held off for a week? Someone pointed out that it's a reaction to lack of sympathy from the Puma's for Madonna's passing. There does seem to be an agenda

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

The Argentinian RU doesn't agree that time past negates the crime. A thief, an adulterer, a rapist or murderer who's crime goes undetected for an amount of time isn't any less culpable because of their growth as a person. Neither does vile racist statements put out for the world to read, one of which expresses particularly violent fantasy or intent. He was a semi professional playing rep rugby in South Africa..... A place with racist problems for centuries. To sweep it under the carpet is to condone it. It's eye opening to see how many here are
uninterested in condemning the indefensible.

Out of interest, how is everyone so sure that he doesn't still harbour these thoughts and he's only sorry because it's finally caught up with him? Are you judging his growth as a person because he's been having a successful rugby career?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Argentinian RU doesn't agree that time past negates the crime. A thief, an adulterer, a rapist or murderer who's crime goes undetected for an amount of time isn't any less culpable because of their growth as a person. Neither does vile racist statements put out for the world to read, one of which expresses particularly violent fantasy or intent. He was a semi professional playing rep rugby in South Africa... A place with racist problems for centuries. To sweep it under the carpet is to condone it. It's eye opening to see how many here are
uninterested in condemning the indefensible.

Penguin I won’t continue past this post.

””Offensive Tweets” being escalated to crimes of rape and murder sort of places this thing in context. BTW our penal system very much looks to rehabilitation for those crimes.

You have one side of a polemic that you have as correct in fact. If people were open I’d argue for something more mean Ed. But discussion is out, condemnation is in. For your benefit I consider myself condemned.

I’m out.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Penguin I won’t continue past this post.

””Offensive Tweets” being escalated to crimes of rape and murder sort of places this thing in context. BTW our penal system very much looks to rehabilitation for those crimes.

You have one side of a polemic that you have as correct in fact. If people were open I’d argue for something more mean Ed. But discussion is out, condemnation is in. For your benefit I consider myself condemned.

I’m out.

Posters haven't taken the context of what he said into account, talking about killing and actually killing aren't the same it's true. But time doesn't negate the defence in either case. Posters have just gone for the old "boys will be boys" defence. It just doesn't cut it this century.
Also just assumed that this person has grown into a decent human from one that's espoused violence rhetoric against a race of people.

I strongly stand with the UAR on their stance. I'd demand the ARU did the same if it was warranted.

I also at no point have singled you out.
Cheers

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon it was Derpus who found those old tweets.

Either him or Bumbreeze Runner.

Just a hunch I've got.

Holy shit though, that one stupid pointless website can topple some public figures. The tweets were clearly a sackable offense. Unconscionable

Although I dont understand what the Argie public were expecting the team to do to acknowledge a dead guy from a different fucken sport? All wear the #10? Have a big crying lap of honour while dribbling a soccer ball around?

Talk about intense.

I suppose with the latin american passion comes the overwrought propensity for melodrama

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m thoroughly looking forward to this game - and not just because it is the last game for the year. Argentina have been a fantastic contributor to a great international season. Meanwhile the Wallabies are a side in transition and this has plenty of intrigue of its own.

And I am not sure the loss of 3 players will work in our favour - regardless of the quality of Matera. I can imagine it stoking a few fires for the Pumas for their last game.

The offield stuff is regrettable and I completely get people want to discuss it but I personally feel the game itself has plenty to interest rugby fans.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
First and last serious comment on this:

Step out of the culture war world an into the real world. What else to UAR do? They're the junior junior partner in the Rugby Championship and their captain has been found to have said things that probably get you gaoled in South Africa. Race politics may be ugly and weaponised in that part of the world but it is what it is.

Do you suggest UAR shrugs it off and gives the feeble 'he was only 20!' defence? How does that go down with SARU and the South African government?

Spare the crocodile tears for the comment section underneath the inevitable Alan Jones spittle-flecked opinion piece.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And I am not sure the loss of 3 players will work in our favour - regardless of the quality of Matera. I can imagine it stoking a few fires for the Pumas for their last game.

I get this point, and it's been repeated by AAA in a media conference.

But come on, there is no way that losing their captain is a positive. They are playing their fourth game in four weeks. The Wallabies should win this game.

Now they may not do that, or make hard work of it, but let's not pretend that there's not a very very large possibility that the Argies won't be nearly as good as they were two weeks ago.