• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
JOC (James O'Connor) is 30. If or when he leaves he won't be returning to a Wallaby jersey. If he was super impressive at 10 and we had no backups, maybe he could make a case, lack of loyalty aside, I don't see him being able to return to Australia and expect a wallaby jersey or even a reds jersey.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He is 30 not 40, he still has a few good years left in him. He was very good for the Reds at 5/8 last year and see no reason why he couldn’t continue that for the next couple of years. Reds have struggled for a consistent Super Rugby standard 5/8 since the 2012 QC (Quade Cooper), we finally get one so I’d prefer he stick around.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He is 30 not 40, he still has a few good years left in him. He was very good for the Reds at 5/8 last year and see no reason why he couldn’t continue that for the next couple of years. Reds have struggled for a consistent Super Rugby standard 5/8 since the 2012 QC (Quade Cooper), we finally get one so I’d prefer he stick around.

Definitely. We’d possibly be swapping in Hegarty so age actually not resolved fully with JOC (James O'Connor) going journeyman. It does show how important a developing 10 is all the same.

I wonder about Stewart, I have said in the past he is not a 10’s nat-hole, but in the current game of rugby where D is effective with slow ball and attackers caught in a mire, he might not be such a bad choice. Happy in traffic, works hard in the ruck (Yikes! Cant belief I’m listing that as a 10 quality), will play flat, can kick tactically from the fray.

As someone who honestly sees Quade as the archetypal 10, the world sure has moved on. Perhaps Eddie Jones is on to something?

It ends up being a game where 10 kicks as often as passes, 9 takes a massive role in ball handling and game strategy (considerably more than they did anyway). I wouldn’t call it pretty, but might fit Thorn-ball.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't speak french, but know a little -- enough to get by, TLDR they want him for a few months as injury cover. So worst case he's gone until like April, but the QRU would need to agree -- not likely. But if he had a young flyhalf replacement it could be a decent way for the QRU to give the young kid some burn and make some cash.

Last round of 6 Nations is 20th of March. So, earliest he could leave I would imagine is somewhere between 21-27th of March.

While the COVID vaccine is being rolled out, we have no idea when Australia will drop the 2 week quarantine (which JOC (James O'Connor) would face coming from a hot zone). So, he could land somewhere between the 22nd to 29th of March and be out by the 5th to 12th of April and would need some time to re-condition.

Looking at the Reds schedule and giving him a week to re-settle/condition at a bare minimum, he's going to only be available for the 23rd game against the Force (and would be interesting to see if RA lets him play finals if we make it).

The 6 Nations need to tell the French clubs to pull their heads in. Hell World Rugby should have used COVID as the time to actually re-align global competitions but that would require them to actually do something.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd agree if O'Connor goes he's not coming back, this year the Reds need him. They are gunning for the Super Rugby (Au & TT). While I do think Stewart could/would be a viable option at flyhalf, but obviously having O'Connor leave is far far far from ideal. Given than, the QRU would probably not have him back especially given his age etc I doubt they'd see enough value on the back end to sacrifice this season to have him come back for less money or something. (Also are we to assume a few months in France is going to pay more than our contracts.)

If Carter Gordon had stuck around then maybe the QRU think about it, between Gordon, Stewart and Hegarty (shudders) we would have been able to cover flyhalf without significant issue. But without Gordon we could be left hanging should O'Connor leave. So I'd say it's unlikely the QRU let him go with their blessings, and don't bring him back if he goes.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh I mean there is really no scenario where the Reds are better off without him tbh, even beyond 2021. His form isn't exactly dropping off the face of a cliff (yet), I daresay he would still be handy in 2022 if he were to stick around.

Everyone seems very quick to dismiss him due to age, but its 2020, sports science has come a long way. Yes he's had some injuries the last few months but with the proper rehab plans and all this cryogenic, muscle therapy blah blah recovery stuff they do, I imagine he is in pretty good nick.

He nearly steered us to a Premiership this year and at times had limited support from his other backs. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Vunivalu and Petaia with him for hopefully a full season. His greatest strength in the last 12 months has been not overplaying his hand. And the more weapons he has out wide, the better that looks.

Reactions: dru

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)

What a wanker, forced his way out of Aus rugby. Inconsistently battled his way through European rugby to eventually come back home and start to really show some signs of consistency. Just as this happens, decides he wants to chase the dollar and head back over?
At least he has over 60 caps so the Giteau Law does apply.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's the bloody offseason boys - we don't exactly have much else to talk about. That JOC (James O'Connor) stuff is probably the juiciest goss we'll get on here for the next 2 months.

How about Richie Asiata. So he's training with the Reds? I mean, the USA is COVID central, I read an article last week that they were still PEAKING with cases, something like 200k a day. If the Reds offered Richie a like for like contract as MLR and it meant he got to keep walking around and living his normal life, I reckon he would jump at it.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It's the bloody offseason boys - we don't exactly have much else to talk about. That JOC (James O'Connor) stuff is probably the juiciest goss we'll get on here for the next 2 months.

How about Richie Asiata. So he's training with the Reds? I mean, the USA is COVID central, I read an article last week that they were still PEAKING with cases, something like 200k a day. If the Reds offered Richie a like for like contract as MLR and it meant he got to keep walking around and living his normal life, I reckon he would jump at it.
Asiata would be worth a look and no doubt that’s why he has been in camp .

But , how many hookers would they normally carry ?

BPA and Mafi contracted and just announced the resigning of Nasser for another two years .

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If O'Connor does go, the Reds should get RA involved and try and get at least one of Pasitoa or Edmend transfered. It will help fill the gap at flyhalf and is really in the best interests of Australian Rugby as those two are talented and it's a waste to have them sitting third in line at their current clubs.

Unfortunately, can't see Australian Rugby coming together to broker a deal like that.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Isn’t that why they’ve signed Lynagh in the UK? To come across as their young development flyhalf. If JOC (James O'Connor) were to leave I imagine the Reds would look for a like replacement, as in an experienced flyhalf to lead the team. The Reds are in a ‘win now’ situation, not a building phase. They got a sniff last year and will be wanting to finish the job in 2021 and grab a few more after that in quick succession. Many of their forwards will be Wallabies in their prime for the foreseeable future and you’d think most of the backline (Petaia, Paisami, Vunivalu, McDermott) will be there as well.

If JOC (James O'Connor) left I think the Reds would look at signing at marquee flyhalf, even an international of the same vintage who could steer them to victory right now and give Lynagh some guidance.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
What a wanker, forced his way out of Aus rugby. Inconsistently battled his way through European rugby to eventually come back home and start to really show some signs of consistency. Just as this happens, decides he wants to chase the dollar and head back over?
At least he has over 60 caps so the Giteau Law does apply.

Settle down. It's a rumour.

It's just some French club engaging in wankery so far.

Is this the same club that sacked him over the cocaine incident with Ali Williams?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Isn’t that why they’ve signed Lynagh in the UK? To come across as their young development flyhalf. If JOC (James O'Connor) were to leave I imagine the Reds would look for a like replacement, as in an experienced flyhalf to lead the team. The Reds are in a ‘win now’ situation, not a building phase. They got a sniff last year and will be wanting to finish the job in 2021 and grab a few more after that in quick succession. Many of their forwards will be Wallabies in their prime for the foreseeable future and you’d think most of the backline (Petaia, Paisami, Vunivalu, McDermott) will be there as well.

If JOC (James O'Connor) left I think the Reds would look at signing at marquee flyhalf, even an international of the same vintage who could steer them to victory right now and give Lynagh some guidance.
If it was that easy to sign a marquee flyhalf wouldn't a side have already done it? Who's this international of the same vintage going to be?