• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Anytime I hit a 10 out of the scrum was a good day. Week. Month. More kudos of course if he had the ball, but a hit is a hit.

Many years ago a player called Rupert Rosenblum played for Sydney University, and eventually the Wobbs. He was famous for turning his back on the half-back when he didn't want the pill. (His grandfather, Myer Rosenblum, also made the national team).

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I remember Rupert well, he was a solicitor. Great kicking game, good reader of play, didn't think much of tackling or being tackled!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Many years ago a player called Rupert Rosenblum played for Sydney University, and eventually the Wobbs. He was famous for turning his back on the half-back when he didn't want the pill. (His grandfather, Myer Rosenblum, also made the national team).

To be completely fair to all school fly halves defending against an enthusiastic but low skill breakaway, they have this dirty cheating miserable thing called something like a “sidestep”. On the whole if I didn’t hit as they got the ball the risk of tackle evaporated quickly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I mean, would you have taken Retallick, Whitelock, Etzebeth, Itoje ahead of Simmons if they were Aussies? Most would have.

Just because he isn't considered very good by many doesn't mean he doesn't warrant selection. The fact is there hasn't been other players who would have taken his place.

I think the comparisons with non Wallaby players is irrelevant. Of course you would take those guys that are among the best in the world.

The reality with Simmons is that a lot of Australian fans would declare a whole heap of Australian locks that are massively worse than Simmons as being better players. The reality over more than a decade is that four successive coaches have generally disagreed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I remember Rupert well, he was a solicitor. Great kicking game, good reader of play, didn't think much of tackling or being tackled!

I was totally pissed off when he was chosen for the national team ahead of John Ballesty, who was much stronger with the ball in hand, and was a great defender.

Rupert was a very good skier, so I am told, and also a gourmet cook. I played against him in SS, and remember thinking as Uni ran onto the field that he was a ball boy in the wrong place. He was tiny, and looked about 15.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
will M.P and hoops be test available by the time the first series rolls around?

Scratch hoops, just remmebered he is giteau eligible anyway

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If it is a 2 season deal, then he could be available for the WC.

Amosa will be out the door because RA probably don't have neough Hooker money to reward his for his recent rise to dominance in the Hooker ranks as RA money has already been allocated to Fainga'a and Uelese for 2021 & 22. Unfortuantely those were granted when Amosa was considered the no.3 option (4th when Latu was here).

He could be back in Australia well before the WC, if he signs a 'future' contract like Nic White did for the 2024 Super Rugby season.

Puts him in the same 'potential WC' category as Tolu Latu. Working in both their favour for a return is that Fainga'a and Ueleses contract ends in 2022, meaning a potential freeup for cash for whoever RA deems is the most important for their WC campaign in 2023.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You would hope none of the Wallaby hookers are on substantial topups with Rugby Australia because none are particularly good and none have really asserted themselves as a clear first choice.

BPA became first choice this season after not starting the first test but I don't really think he's so locked into the spot that he'd have a huge leg up regardless of form next season or be high on the list for RA to retain.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, IMO most all RA top-up money should just be performance based. I don't want us paying Jordan Uelese RA money to do nothing. -_-

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, IMO most all RA top-up money should just be performance based.

This is never going to be the case.

You're trying to secure players you consider the most important either currently or in the near future so some of this is going to be based on potential.

If you're always waiting to see who has performed the best you will be fighting with overseas teams who are looking at the same thing and able to offer more money.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You would hope none of the Wallaby hookers are on substantial topups with Rugby Australia because none are particularly good and none have really asserted themselves as a clear first choice.

BPA became first choice this season after not starting the first test but I don't really think he's so locked into the spot that he'd have a huge leg up regardless of form next season or be high on the list for RA to retain.

That is why we lost Latu and will probably lose Amosa, their form doesnt warrant a significant top up...but we still need hookers. I'd say that Fainga'a and Uelese are probably 'sharing'a top up (they have quite a small cap as to how many people are RA supported)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Latu's form most definitely warranted a significant top up. His temperament and questions over whether he would bring that form consistently might have thrown some shade at that though.

This is the perennial issue. We don't throw big money at squad players but we still need squad players to form a competent team.

Full overseas selection, like the Bokkies, is just a matter of time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That is why we lost Latu and will probably lose Amosa, their form doesnt warrant a significant top up.but we still need hookers. I'd say that Fainga'a and Uelese are probably 'sharing'a top up (they have quite a small cap as to how many people are RA supported)

Who would have offered Latu big money prior to the 2019 test season and RWC though? People would have thought RA had rocks in their head if they'd done that yet that was the timing required to retain him before he signed with Stade Francais.

We do still need hookers but there is no one who you would bank on being THE GUY and offering him big money now thinking he is pretty certain be be the mainstay at 2 between now and the 2023 RWC. That's part of the problem. No one is obviously good enough to take that punt on and I don't think we are better served by just picking one for the hell of it.

Reactions: TSR

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Latu signed for Stade before his outstanding form at last years World Cup. So not really RAs fault of not offering huge money. Uelese would be on one of the lowest RA top up allocations, so definitely not any kind of money that would make people decide to stay if money was the driver.

Hopefully we can get this world club cup going every 4yrs, win the World Cup and then combined with the Lions to bring some much needed cash injection for the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Latu signed for Stade before his outstanding form at last years World Cup. So not really RAs fault of not offering huge money. Uelese would be on one of the lowest RA top up allocations, so definitely not any kind of money that would make people decide to stay if money was the driver.

Hopefully we can get this world club cup going every 4yrs, win the World Cup and then combined with the Lions to bring some much needed cash injection for the game.

Temporary fix IMO. I still reckon the Southern Hemisphere nations end up a bit like South America in football. Still produce a significant proportion of the worlds talent but little of it stays at home.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hookers, there's some good young un's coming along, BPA's a lose more so for the Reds then the Wallabies, I dont see him as heads and shoulders above Fainga'a and Uelese just in better form in tests this year.

But we have Lonergan, McInerney at the Brumbies, Mafi at the Reds, Horton at the Tah's all pretty good Hookers who by 2023 being the Wallabies 2.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think this is a good thing going forward, he will prob have 20 test caps under his belt before he leaves. Will go from playing 13 games a season to near 30 & in a competition that will develop him a lot better than he would here on better money & finally to return leading into a rwc. This has a RA/Rennie pushing it in behind closed doors feel about it.