• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2021

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
From the training pics on the socials, it appears the following players are with the top squad for pre-season -

• Fred Kahea - Prop
  • Callum MacDonald - Lock
  • Luke Gersekowski - Openside Flanker
  • Tony Alofipo - FlyHalf
  • Rodney Iona - Fly-Half/Centre
  • Tom Haddad - Winger
Bo Abra has gone to the Force.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
From the training pics on the socials, it appears the following players are with the top squad for pre-season -

• Fred Kahea - Prop
  • Callum MacDonald - Lock
  • Luke Gersekowski - Openside Flanker
  • Tony Alofipo - FlyHalf
  • Rodney Iona - Fly-Half/Centre
  • Tom Haddad - Winger
Bo Abra has gone to the Force.
Callum macdonald ex league player who switched to rugby a few years ago and on development contract with brumbies. 204 cm and Runs 100m in 13 seconds and strong defensive and physical player..(good you tube highlights real) - question is whether he can pick up technicals of playing lock...and be another Arnold as late bloomer...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Callum macdonald ex league player who switched to rugby a few years ago and on development contract with brumbies. 204 cm and Runs 100m in 13 seconds and strong defensive and physical player..(good you tube highlights real) - question is whether he can pick up technicals of playing lock.and be another Arnold as late bloomer.

Looks like his still only 19 or 20, so hopefully not that late of a bloomer.. looks good on fox sports.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If I'm not mistaken, Shambeckler had time at the Force, Rebels and Brumbies, did he not? Just didn't realise the potential he showed at U20s, unfortunately.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
If I'm not mistaken, Shambeckler had time at the Force, Rebels and Brumbies, did he not? Just didn't realise the potential he showed at U20s, unfortunately.

Not sure about the Rebels but he definitely had time at the force and the tahs (along with the brums).

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Harsh call I'd say. The kid is only 23 and is no hope to get game time at the Brumbies. I wouldn't write him off yet- but presumably leaving Aus resets eligibility?

EDIT- ignore that last part- for some reason I thought he was born overseas.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
You are. Spent time at the Force then signed for the Tahs when the Force were punted and couldn't get a run. Went to the Brumbies and also couldn't force his way in. Biggest problem was he was a prop who couldn't hold the scrum up. Some would say it's a vital skill playing THP. He could score a try though

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Full 2021 squad

Hookers
Folau Fainga’a (Western District Lions)
Lachlan Lonergan (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Connal McInerney (Canberra Royals)
Billy Pollard (Uni-Norths Owls)

Props
Allan Ala'alatoa (Uni-Norths Owls)
Archer Holz (Canberra Royals)
Harry Lloyd (Western District Lions)
Tom Ross (Gungahlin Eagles)
Scott Sio (Tuggeranong Vikings)
James Slipper (Queanbeyan Whites)

Locks
Tom Hooper (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Nick Frost (Queanbeyan Whites)
Caderyn Neville (Uni-Norths Owls)
Darcy Swain (Tuggeranong Vikings)
James Tucker (Uni-Norths Owls)

Backrows
Jahrome Brown (Gungahlin Eagles)
Tom Cusack (Canberra Royals)
Luke Reimer (Western District Lions)
Pete Samu (Gungahlin Eagles)
Rory Scott (Canberra Royals)
Rob Valetini (Western District Lions)

Scrumhalf
Lachie Albert (Western District Lions)
Issak Fines (Gungahlin Eagles)
Ryan Lonergan (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Nic White (Queanbeyan Whites)

Flyhalf
Bayley Kuenzle (Canberra Royals)
Noah Lolesio (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Reesjan Pasitoa (Western District Lions)

Midfield/Outside backs
Tom Banks (Uni-Norths Owls)
Mack Hansen (Gungahlin Eagles)
Len Ikitau (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Solomone Kata (Gungahlin Eagles)
Andy Muirhead (Canberra Royals)
Irae Simone (Uni-Norths Owls)
Reece Tapine (Queanbeyan Whites)
Tom Wright (Western District Lions)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s a good, strong squad.

I’ll be very interested to see how the Brumbies young brigade of locks does this year. A lot of potential there.

Aside from that it seems a good opportunity for a couple of the understudies to stake their claims to be the future starter. Specifically I’m thinking at THP, Hooker & half back.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m interested to see how Billy Pollard and Darcy Swain come on in 2021.

It’ll also be interesting to see how they juggle Kuenzle, Lolesio, Pasitoa and Simone.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The starting side will look a lot like last year's champion team.

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Swain, Neville, Valetini, Brown, Samu, White, Lolesio, Kata, Simone, Ikitau, Wright, Banks.

Will give the SRAu comp a real shake again.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Full 2021 squad

Hookers
Folau Fainga’a (Western District Lions)
Lachlan Lonergan (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Connal McInerney (Canberra Royals)
Billy Pollard (Uni-Norths Owls)

Props
Allan Ala'alatoa (Uni-Norths Owls)
Archer Holz (Canberra Royals)
Harry Lloyd (Western District Lions)
Tom Ross (Gungahlin Eagles)
Scott Sio (Tuggeranong Vikings)
James Slipper (Queanbeyan Whites)

Locks
Tom Hooper (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Nick Frost (Queanbeyan Whites)
Caderyn Neville (Uni-Norths Owls)
Darcy Swain (Tuggeranong Vikings)
James Tucker (Uni-Norths Owls)

Backrows
Jahrome Brown (Gungahlin Eagles)
Tom Cusack (Canberra Royals)
Luke Reimer (Western District Lions)
Pete Samu (Gungahlin Eagles)
Rory Scott (Canberra Royals)
Rob Valetini (Western District Lions)

Scrumhalf
Lachie Albert (Western District Lions)
Issak Fines (Gungahlin Eagles)
Ryan Lonergan (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Nic White (Queanbeyan Whites)

Flyhalf
Bayley Kuenzle (Canberra Royals)
Noah Lolesio (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Reesjan Pasitoa (Western District Lions)

Midfield/Outside backs
Tom Banks (Uni-Norths Owls)
Mack Hansen (Gungahlin Eagles)
Len Ikitau (Tuggeranong Vikings)
Solomone Kata (Gungahlin Eagles)
Andy Muirhead (Canberra Royals)
Irae Simone (Uni-Norths Owls)
Reece Tapine (Queanbeyan Whites)
Tom Wright (Western District Lions)

Kuridrani seems a huge loss looking at that, McCaffrey is a big loss, and the outside backs/midfield seems a little fresh outside the obvious starters.

We'll win the title, or finish 8th kinda vibe about it, though the system has proven pretty resilient over the years and the coaching squad are top notch.

Fire dances to the gods of ligaments and muscle fascia and hope we can go one better this year!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I assume Brumbies will start deserved favourites and I’d be amazed if they didn’t compete for top spot of the table.

The have a quality squad with the core well established in the Brumbies system. They’ve recruited well to top up the squad (and with an eye to the future). In theory the loss of Kurindrani is a blow - but in reality he hasn’t been a consistent performer for at least two years (although it on his day still very good). McCaffrey also a big loss - but he missed most of last year with injury and the Brumbies coped fine.

On the plus side, it is realistic to expect improvement this year from Frost, Swain, Valetini & Lolesio at least plus the potential for increased contributions from Ikitau, Simone, Brown & perhaps others like Hansen & Pasitoa.

If I look at BRs side above, it’s clearly already a strong side but it doesn’t include Slipper, Cusack or Muirhead who I thought were some of the Brumbies best players this year. The depth is pretty good and the bench should be a strength.

I’m not trying to talk them up for the sake of it - but we need at least 3 of the Aussie teams to be highly competitive in the TT comp and, at this point at least, Brumbies remain best positioned to take it up to the NZ sides.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure that there is much between all the Aussie squads but I have a great deal of confidence in the Brumbies coaching group to get the best performances out of the team.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As you should BR - they have a very good record. And they have a group of players who, for the most part, are already in their system.

Don’t be mistaken - I’m very much looking forward to the Reds throwing down the challenge, and I am cautiously optimistic over their prospects.

But what I don’t want to happen is for the Reds to overtake the Brumbies because they have slipped back to the pack. I want the Brumbies to get better this year. I just hope the Reds get betterer ;)

Also very much hoping that the other teams can give them both a run for their money. On paper at least the Force will be stronger and the Rebels could be, although I suspect the turnover of personnel will cost them.

I do think the Tahs will struggle a bit with the lack of locks, depth and experience - but the have a good enough starters in 13 of their 15 spots to suggest they could beat anyone on their day if the injury Gods are kind.