• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I remember watching him a few years back and thinking he was one of the most balanced runners I’ve seen in many years.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I like this signing. Prior to the 2019 vintage, he was close to the best u20 talent we had in 5/6yrs

Agreed. It addresses an existing hole in the squad (actual threatening ball-runners) and is a low- risk and cheap signing - if he slips up/ doesn't perform you get rid of him.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agreed. It addresses an existing hole in the squad (actual threatening ball-runners) and is a low- risk and cheap signing - if he slips up/ doesn't perform you get rid of him.

And if he goes well, he will be back to the NRL, I reckon. Sadly.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I'm not quite sure, he never really 'cracked' it in the NRL, yes he played very well in the Queensland Cup and was destined for more NRL caps, but he never cemented himself as a NRL player to warrant NRL clubs chasing him again.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe - but then again maybe not. The Tahs have thrown him a lifeline, so maybe he’ll settle in there if they do a good job with him. He is young enough to potentially play at least 5-6 years with them if all goes well.

In the meantime he does provide the Tahs with some strike power that they don’t have without without compromising their defensive capability and, if nothing else, fills a hole while their young brigade develops. I think he & Walton could be quite a good centre pairing. With Ramm & Maddocks outside them there is some genuine threat in the backline. If Gordon & Harrison can both come along from last year there is a lot to like about the Tahs backline if people are prepared to give them some time to gel/develop.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A backline of

Maddocks
Ramm
Wilson
Moeroa
Perese
Harrison
Gordon

has enough threat, if the pigs can get them some ball

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not quite sure, he never really 'cracked' it in the NRL, yes he played very well in the Queensland Cup and was destined for more NRL caps, but he never cemented himself as a NRL player to warrant NRL clubs chasing him again.

It's probably an easier route for him to become a starting Super Rugby player/ fringe Wallaby then a consistent NRL first grader at this stage - which may be enough to keep him in Union (not necessarily at the 'Tahs or in Australia though).

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Good signing. If he gets his personal life in order (how hard is it to chose between being a dirt bag or a professional athlete?) and expands on his junior World Cup form where he was one of our best in the backs he should make the most of this opportunity.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good signing. If he gets his personal life in order (how hard is it to chose between being a dirt bag or a professional athlete?) and expands on his junior World Cup form where he was one of our best in the backs he should make the most of this opportunity.
Depends what his issues are. Mental illness sticks with some people for life.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally agree.
As far as the dirtbag reference, I was only addressing the drug issues talked about in the Herald article.
Hopefully that was just a young mans mistake and he can get the assistance needed for his other issues.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You could even go so far as to say that drug issues don't necessarily make a person a dirtbag.

He certainly seemed to act the part though.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I know other players have had drug issues which were more using to stuff to deal with expectations, pressure, depression, etc. that’s not ideal, but understandable to a degree. According to the article he was procuring a large amount of mdma and cocaine. Which means you’re looking to deal, or go on a massive bender. Neither a good option when you’re other option is getting paid good money to do what you’ve wanted to do since you were a kid. Not many of us get that opportunity. I guess that could be seen as a cry for help also. Who knows? Let’s hope he has left that stuff behind him and plays some good rugby and slays his demons.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's a good point. I'm trying to think who has the seniority and the guaranteed starting gig who could be captain. Dempsey?

I worry for Tahs as lacking depth in key positions across the board and many unknowns with unproven players who will be given backline spots. Moeroa not had game time to prove he is super rugby quality despite last game in Super Rugby Au where performed ok (1 game is hardly proof he is super rugby standard)...wing cover continues to remain concern with only proven wing performer being Ramm....while if Walton gets injured worry on the cover here...Foketi and Newsome not what we want to see in staring 13 position.

And then there is forwards where had so many departures...how we will go in lock department with complete new list of locks is unknown....while Hooper could prove huge loss to cover this season with Tizzano and Gamble likely to cover and unknown potential.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ive recently heard some pretty average things about Dempseys character. Hopefully just nonsense rumours but sowed the seeds of doubt.