• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds have to play with potential AND stay relatively injury free. That's the bigger ask. If we lose a lock, or Tupou for any prolonged length of time we are in trouble.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I think the Tahs will surprise a lot of people next year.

The addition of Jack Whetton is big.

My predicted ladder:
1. Brumbies
2. Reds- very closing followed by 3rd
3. Tahs
4. Rebels
5. Force

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...rese-a-one-year-lifeline-20210106-p56s5c.html

I will be interested in how Perese goes, he has a lot of talent to use if he is in the right frame of mind and fit.

Geez this is interesting - I thought Perese managed to get off his drug charges rather lightly because he essentially argued he had to move overseas to escape his problems and play rugby. Surprised to see him return to Australia after only one season... or did he even play over there due to COVID?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Geez this is interesting - I thought Perese managed to get off his drug charges rather lightly because he essentially argued he had to move overseas to escape his problems and play rugby. Surprised to see him return to Australia after only one season. or did he even play over there due to COVID?

Played like three games.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I know that article isn’t translated correctly but essentially did he overdose on drugs in France, was placed onto sick leave by the club and now has come home to Australia to make himself better? And the Waratahs are taking him on? I never thought he was worth all this trouble.
It depends on the contract at the Tahs. He'd be on a 1 strike and you're out kind of clause, and vastly reduced salary than he would of got if he was at his prime. He was outstanding at under 20s and he's still only 23. I guess the ball's in his court

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep agree he’s got talent, but this isn’t some kid who’s been pulled over for drink driving a couple of times. He was arrested for drug trafficking, got off lightly, left the country to save himself, got into the drugs again, and now has come back into a new big city where depending who you run with, could end up badly for him. I wouldn’t be going near him. If he turns it around, good for him. But I’m surprised anyone is willing to risk it. From what I heard about his time in Brisbane he wasn’t the best influence in the locker rooms either,

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Surely the opportunity and investment would be better spent on someone who shows potential in Shute Shield just because you were a schoolboy rockstar doesn’t automatically translate to being good at 23.

I really don’t care how good you were High School. It only matters how good you are now and how you have matured as a person and your behaviour in a team environment.

The Zac Guildford thing under Daryl Gibson didn’t end well. It’s not to say these guys don’t need mental and medical health services to assist them its just achieving a positive outcome for the individual personally is virtually impossible when they have an obligation to play professional rugby and to their teammates.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jason Gilmore is at the Tahs now, he coached Perese at schoolboys level and during his time at the Reds, I’m sure he played a large part in bringing Perese to the Tahs and vouching for his character.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Surely the opportunity and investment would be better spent on someone who shows potential in Shute Shield just because you were a schoolboy rockstar doesn’t automatically translate to being good at 23.

I really don’t care how good you were High School. It only matters how good you are now and how you have matured as a person and your behaviour in a team environment.

The Zac Guildford thing under Daryl Gibson didn’t end well. It’s not to say these guys don’t need mental and medical health services to assist them its just achieving a positive outcome for the individual personally is virtually impossible when they have an obligation to play professional rugby and to their teammates.

He's played Super Rugby and looked well equipped to the standard, so we know he will translate to the level.

The drugs thing in France is very unproven, I would of thought the media would of been well on top of this if it was the case. All we have read so far is a broken english summary in a french newspaper

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The drugs thing in France is very unproven, I would of thought the media would of been well on top of this if it was the case. All we have read so far is a broken english summary in a french newspaper

Rugby barely gets a write up here as it is, why would the Australian media care about a bloke who's played 3 games here before disappearing overseas.

I'm not sure the standard of journalism in France but if a media outlet had published an article about me overdosing on drugs and being placed under care, and it was false, I would have wanted the article removed. Yet it isn't.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My bet is for this to be Wessels last year. T,

I think if things were different in 2020, he would be gone already. Covid might have given him a life line, finishing 3rd was not good enough last year. Top 2 or your gone, and I don't expect the Rebels to finish Top 2 this year.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I think if things were different in 2020, he would be gone already. Covid might have given him a life line, finishing 3rd was not good enough last year. Top 2 or your gone, and I don't expect the Rebels to finish Top 2 this year.

Definitely, he had arguably the best squad last year and all they served up was inconsistent performances.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Yep agree he’s got talent, but this isn’t some kid who’s been pulled over for drink driving a couple of times. He was arrested for drug trafficking, got off lightly, left the country to save himself, got into the drugs again, and now has come back into a new big city where depending who you run with, could end up badly for him. I wouldn’t be going near him. If he turns it around, good for him. But I’m surprised anyone is willing to risk it. From what I heard about his time in Brisbane he wasn’t the best influence in the locker rooms either,

What's the real risk here though? He'll be on a cheap contract with plenty of clauses and if he stuffs up they will get rid of him pretty quickly like they did with Zac Guildford. He's a not a commercial risk really either as the Tah's don't have enough of a public profile to generate any real outrage from the public and effect sponsorships.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Zac Guildford might not have ended well but it wasn't disastrous - there was more than enough upside to take the risk.

Talented players are always going to be given opportunities - look at any professional sport.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
After seeing the final squad announced for Tahs for 2021 I have changed my view that battle for wooden spoon between Rebels and Tahs as now have Tahs as shoe in for the wooden spoon. Wonder if I can place a bet on Tahs for the wooden spoon. I reckon they would also be raging favourites for trans tasman wooden spoon as well.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
After seeing the final squad announced for Tahs for 2021 I have changed my view that battle for wooden spoon between Rebels and Tahs as now have Tahs as shoe in for the wooden spoon. Wonder if I can place a bet on Tahs for the wooden spoon. I reckon they would also be raging favourites for trans tasman wooden spoon as well.

I think the Western Force and Rebels will be strongly competing with the 'Tahs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the Western Force and Rebels will be strongly competing with the 'Tahs.

You are probably right that these are bottom three contenders...Rebels because loss some quality and Wessells factor. Force improved squad quality but getting new combinations to gel is risk for them...I still marginally favour the Tahs for spoon though if have to call it.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

This is probably a generational thing but i'm in my mid-20s and live in Sydney - slanging a couple of bags or caps to friends, or doing them yourself, is seen as about 1/10th as bad as drink driving.

I know about 5 people across all my friends, acquaintances and colleagues under 40 who don't do drugs semi-regularly. If someone heard you were a drink driver, a lot of peoples perception of you would change very quickly.

Edit: he got done for 3.5 grams of coke and two grams of MDMA. Childs play. You guys should walk around the camp grounds at any festival / the Melbourne Cup / any pub in the Eastern Suburbs on a Saturday night and you'd come across literally hundreds of people with more heat in their pockets than this. If that's "trafficking" about 20% of Sydney's population under 30 has trafficked at some stage in their life.