• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sad to hear if Montoya not coming as he was world class signing and definitely up their as one of the top hookers in the world imho..

Yeah massive loss that one, Andrew Ready goes alright at Super Rugby level but Montoya was well ahead of him

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Bit disappointing about Montoya, but I figure it would have been a shame if him being here kept our two competent hookers out. Ready finished last season strongly. Hooker for the Wallabies is fairly wide open. Reckon Ready could make a great bench impact option.
Rate Ready as a player , if he can get his conditioning right , he has the rugby ability to play at Test level.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rate Ready as a player , if he can get his conditioning right , he has the rugby ability to play at Test level.

Yep agree, he's turning 28 this year so it would be a good time for him to play consistent footy and the Wallabies hooker role is far from locked down.

Apologies if its been mentioned earlier in the thread but is it official that Frisby has retired? I know he's been living in Brisbane and his wife just had a baby, I had heard he was retiring.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Quite disappointed that Montoya isn't coming as he's a top international hooker who would have really given out pack an edge.

However both Kaitu'u and Ready are very good hookers with Kaitu'u training with the Wallabies after a strong season last year and Ready improving massively after a slow start. It's probably one position where we didn't urgently need an improved player, however Montoya would have signalled real intent.

Still waiting to hear if there's any more signings? I'd still love to see another top class back row.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quite disappointed that Montoya isn't coming as he's a top international hooker who would have really given out pack an edge.

However both Kaitu'u and Ready are very good hookers with Kaitu'u training with the Wallabies after a strong season last year and Ready improving massively after a slow start. It's probably one position where we didn't urgently need an improved player, however Montoya would have signalled real intent.

Still waiting to hear if there's any more signings? I'd still love to see another top class back row.

Kaitu and Ready are good hookers for sure but Montonya imho is world class and would have most definitely I agree added a real edge to the Force forward pack.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Welcome to the Western Force Tom...

I wasn't happy at Waratahs: Tom Robertson
Justin Chadwick - APP - Fri, 15 January 2021

Wallabies prop Tom Robertson concedes he was unhappy at the NSW Waratahs last year, and has described his move to the Western Force as like a breath of fresh air.

Robertson made 62 appearances for the Waratahs over five seasons before signing for the Force last September.

The 26-year-old, who played 24 Tests for Australia between 2016-18, hopes his move to the Force will help rekindle his international career.

But more importantly Robertson wants to be in a happy place - something he found hard at the Waratahs last year.

"I wasn't that happy at the Waratahs to be honest," Robertson said on Friday.

"I was considering staying there for another two years, but in the end the upside to the Force was too big to ignore.

"There's a lot of off-field issues at the Waratahs. I love the players there. The player group is amazing. But just coming over here, it's a breath of fresh air.

"Having a new coaching staff, a new performance staff, and dealing with new people has really reinvigorated my rugby, so hopefully I can keep that going."

More than a quarter of NSW Rugby staff were made redundant in June last year when the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic hit hard.

The organisation is still struggling financially, and Robertson said the security of the Andrew Forrest-owned Force was a huge plus.

"Being privately owned by the Forrest family is a big advantage to this club, and having that financial security," he said.

"And the other players that they had coming across, half the names are international players. It's almost like playing in an international team at the moment with the calibre of players we have."

Getting back into the Wallabies' set-up is a major goal for Robertson.

But he knows it will be no easy feat in a Force outfit bristling with international and Australian talent.

Veteran Wallabies centre Tevita Kuridrani has joined Robertson at the Force, along with Argentinian internationals Tomas Cubelli, Tomas Lezana, Santiago Medrano and Domingo Miotti.

Legendary Irish fullback Rob Kearney has been the Force's biggest recruit, while former All Blacks Richard Kahui and Jeremy Thrush have re-signed from last season.

"I think the depth we've got here, it's a bit nerve wracking," Robertson said.

"I've got to get into the team here before you start talking about the Wallabies jersey."

Robertson described Tim Sampson as "tough but fair", saying the Force coach was willing to take things on board.

"He's very approachable, Robertson said.

"If a lot of the senior players have ideas, he takes that on board and incorporates that in his game plan."

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Welcome to the Western Force Tom.

I wasn't happy at Waratahs: Tom Robertson
Justin Chadwick - APP - Fri, 15 January 2021

Wallabies prop Tom Robertson concedes he was unhappy at the NSW Waratahs last year, and has described his move to the Western Force as like a breath of fresh air.

Robertson made 62 appearances for the Waratahs over five seasons before signing for the Force last September.

The 26-year-old, who played 24 Tests for Australia between 2016-18, hopes his move to the Force will help rekindle his international career.

But more importantly Robertson wants to be in a happy place - something he found hard at the Waratahs last year.

"I wasn't that happy at the Waratahs to be honest," Robertson said on Friday.

"I was considering staying there for another two years, but in the end the upside to the Force was too big to ignore.

"There's a lot of off-field issues at the Waratahs. I love the players there. The player group is amazing. But just coming over here, it's a breath of fresh air.

"Having a new coaching staff, a new performance staff, and dealing with new people has really reinvigorated my rugby, so hopefully I can keep that going."

More than a quarter of NSW Rugby staff were made redundant in June last year when the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic hit hard.

The organisation is still struggling financially, and Robertson said the security of the Andrew Forrest-owned Force was a huge plus.

"Being privately owned by the Forrest family is a big advantage to this club, and having that financial security," he said.

"And the other players that they had coming across, half the names are international players. It's almost like playing in an international team at the moment with the calibre of players we have."

Getting back into the Wallabies' set-up is a major goal for Robertson.

But he knows it will be no easy feat in a Force outfit bristling with international and Australian talent.

Veteran Wallabies centre Tevita Kuridrani has joined Robertson at the Force, along with Argentinian internationals Tomas Cubelli, Tomas Lezana, Santiago Medrano and Domingo Miotti.

Legendary Irish fullback Rob Kearney has been the Force's biggest recruit, while former All Blacks Richard Kahui and Jeremy Thrush have re-signed from last season.

"I think the depth we've got here, it's a bit nerve wracking," Robertson said.

"I've got to get into the team here before you start talking about the Wallabies jersey."

Robertson described Tim Sampson as "tough but fair", saying the Force coach was willing to take things on board.

"He's very approachable, Robertson said.

"If a lot of the senior players have ideas, he takes that on board and incorporates that in his game plan."

I'd guess the main thing he wasn't happy about was moving down the pecking order with young Angus Bell locking down the LH role and TR seeing the future as bench cover at best..... along with a few more up and coming front row prospects coming into the Tahs system making the move west a very sound career move. He's a very smart bloke and could obviously see the writing on the wall. Bit sad to hear him dissing his ex club though, more a reflection on him unfortunately.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'd guess the main thing he wasn't happy about was moving down the pecking order with young Angus Bell locking down the LH role and TR seeing the future as bench cover at best... along with a few more up and coming front row prospects coming into the Tahs system making the move west a very sound career move. He's a very smart bloke and could obviously see the writing on the wall. Bit sad to hear him dissing his ex club though, more a reflection on him unfortunately.
Was he dissing his ex club, though? He said he wasn't happy. That's fair enough. I actually reckon it is better to be straight up about that stuff. Better that then it coming out in other ways. He said there were off-field issues and didn't say much else other than about the shedding of 25% of staff. With COVID, off-field issues could just be stating the bleeding obvious. Not sure if that's dissing the club.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd guess the main thing he wasn't happy about was moving down the pecking order with young Angus Bell locking down the LH role and TR seeing the future as bench cover at best... along with a few more up and coming front row prospects coming into the Tahs system making the move west a very sound career move. He's a very smart bloke and could obviously see the writing on the wall. Bit sad to hear him dissing his ex club though, more a reflection on him unfortunately.

Personally I prefer a player speak his mind, i think we've come too accustomed to sterile and cliched responses from players over the years that.