• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Jack Walsh is a Marlins junior and is a fantastic kid and a very good player. He'll learn much more in England than in Super Rugby here.
Not sure if this a knock against the Super Rugby competition but he's obviously going to learn more in the UK because of actual gametime. He would have been 3/4 in the pecking order for a fullback or fly-half position at the Waratahs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure if this a knock against the Super Rugby competition but he's obviously going to learn more in the UK because of actual gametime. He would have been 3/4 in the pecking order for a fullback or fly-half position at the Waratahs.

How could anyone criticise the standard of Super Rugby AU?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Watch some games of Premiership rugby and then watch some games of Super Rugby AU - come back and tell us which competition you prefer (I love endless box-kicking as much as the next rugby purist ;))

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Watch some games of Premiership rugby and then watch some games of Super Rugby AU - come back and tell us which competition you prefer (I love endless box-kicking as much as the next rugby purist ;))

I've watched one full game of super rugby and a few part games in 3 years. I think that conveys what I think of it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Almost as many COVID cases in one rugby team as all of Australia. Impacting on a lot of Australian players over there.

C04A721C-63F1-44B1-876A-704A026FE511.jpeg

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sporting organizations around the world seem to be throwing more caution to the wind regarding COVID procedures - It looks like the only really safe way to maintain control is through some type of bubble or relocating all teams to a particular region/state.

The NFL managed to complete their season but their squad sizes are enormous to cover players in lockdown, the NBA are currently experiencing some major problems and don't have the luxury of such deep squads.

It will be interesting to see what these overseas rugby comps do.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
With the Japan Top League been postponed and in real danger of been canceled, it again makes me wonder about the advice guys like Hockings and Isaac Lucas received to leave their contract and play in Japan. They’ve already missed out on a season of rugby when they sat out Super Rugby AU, and they’re now in danger of sitting out a second season of rugby.

Both young guys who simply need to be playing rugby to develop, yet they’re sitting on the sideline while there peers who stayed in Australia are potentially going to have 2 more season of actual competitive rugby. It’s disappointing for both of them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Dallas Jackals MLR team has cancelled their entry into MLR this year and will wait until 2022. I wonder if that’s the first sign of cracks developing for their competition this year.

I know a lot of the Aussie players who are signed up have been attending local camps sponsored by the MLR or a specific franchise. I’ll be amazed if they manage to play a proper season considering the struggles of far more professional sports in the USA.