• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think there is huge upside in the current Tahs squad. In believe there is potential in the current squad to surprise plenty and beat all the Aust Super Rugby teams on their day

A. Bell - We have the current Wallaby loose head prop who is potentially world class.
T Horton - Excellent skill set as a potential extra loose forward.
Porecki - Solid scrum and lineout operator.. the fundamentals for a hooker
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) - Solid in the scrum and also an excellent defender and menace at the breakdown.
Whetton - Big and strong, just the bloke to provide an upgrade on Staniforth and Hanigan
Wykes - Strong in the lineout and high work rate
Swinton - Recent Wallaby and will only get better
Tizzano - Has all the tools to make it in Super Rugby as a 7
Dempsey - We need more out of him but we know what he's capable of.
Gordon - Probably captain and will improve
Harrison - Superb skills and kicks at over 85%!!!
Ramm - Will get better as well.
Walton - Fast with great skillset, this guy will have a great year
Perese - Has all the tools, fast aggressive and a very good defender
Moroea - Big frame, but I'm still to be convinced about him.
Nawaqa - Has loads of upside but needs to defend better - great skillset
Maddocks - long kicker, fast, silky skills.

Yes I'm an optimist, but the backs we have this year are rapiers rather than sledgehammers. I can see them moving the ball into space, slick passing, good running lines etc.

Forwards maintain parity and I think we'll have a great year playing excellent rugby.

Injuries are the biggest potential worry..

I like it as sure I was given a glass half empty view while you give above a glass half full view. Probably somewhere in between and hopefully translates to better season then I predict for the tahs

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
BH: "Depth is definitely the biggest issue as we don't have a lot behind certain players."

You are close to agreeing with BH to the central thesis of my argument and if we take it a step further for you to agree on my next point then you actually are agreeing with the central arguments I put forward for my views. Which is we also don't have much depth to cover players who will start who already are yet unproven at super rugby level ie. Tizzano/Gamble (one of them will start), Moroea, Perese and Nawaqa (and would add Newsome) all still have big question marks whether they are yet at super rugby level grade.

Sorry the glass half full on here have not provided any new info I did not know to convince me to move away from glass half empty view.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Depth is certainly an issue. But not as much as if it was a full Super Rugby season with all the extra games, international travel, etc that make squad rotation necessary.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My assessment of proposed starting side mentioned by other posters cf to last years side.

Tizzano - with respect - Hooper most consistent best player and wallaby - big step down. And no disrespect to Tizzano.

Is his spot really bolted on? Gamble isn't crap

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm picking Gamble. His presence at the breakdown in immense.

I would start with Gamble...Tizzano possibly could be on the bench as given departures and depth issues that may be possible...you would have in terms of backrowers on the bench either Harris/Dempsey (whoever starts, other on bench possibly) and of course Swinden has 6 locked down as run on XV.

Do remember also in trials last year Tizzano looked good so will be competition for who starts 7 now Hooper out of the picture for this super rugby season.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Once again Tahs HQ just can't get it right. The game is dying in the bush, they are supposedly representing 'all of NSW', but when it comes time for a trial game, they decide to play it in KENYA.

They'd rather get on a plane and fly halfway around the world than play a game in the regions and support the grassroots. Typical.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Once again Tahs HQ just can't get it right. The game is dying in the bush, they are supposedly representing 'all of NSW', but when it comes time for a trial game, they decide to play it in KENYA.

They'd rather get on a plane and fly halfway around the world than play a game in the regions and support the grassroots. Typical.

We didn't want to be outdone by the Reds to Regions program so we've launched Waratahs to the World.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
assholes to Africa????

Or maybe just a level of incompetence in our Rugby Administration to rival your standard African dictatorship. It’s not surprising if you can’t be bothered to reference check your CEO’s via their previous employer you are not going to proof read your press releases.