• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
From the article:

The club would also like to acknowledge and thank departing players Chris Feauai-Sautia, JP and Ruan Smith, Scott Malolua, Jack Hardy, Jack Straker, Sean Farrell, Jethro Felemi, Dave Feao, Tom Kibble, Michael Wood and Carter Gordon for their contributions to Queensland

My Gallopers have taken quite a hit there!

Throw Dave Feao into that list and you've got pretty much all the front row stocks from last year and all managed to get game time. Lets hope there aren't too many injuries.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He's been pretty loyal, and we've stuck by him despite constant injury. Perhaps he's decided its time to cash in his chips and head to Japan?? I don't begrudge him. He deserves to I reckon.

He's survived under the tenure of 4 head coaches I believe and has a couple of Wallabies caps, he's served Australian rugby well. I wonder where he is headed, haven't seen his name pop up on any media releases but I guess he's not high profile enough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't like to critique the hard working media team at the QRU or RA (this may be a RA issue in a centralised system) but its not a good look to announce the new playing squad but still have the old squad on the web site.

https://reds.rugby/teams/reds-mens

It’s not.. and i’d say it’s probably a result of staff cuts made last year during COVID, less staff to update and work on thing things this.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He's been pretty loyal, and we've stuck by him despite constant injury. Perhaps he's decided its time to cash in his chips and head to Japan?? I don't begrudge him. He deserves to I reckon.

He played in Japan a few years ago to play during the off-season, an injury cut short that season.
It’s possible he has just decided to retire, I’d imagine it’s extremely frustrating getting injured so often and missing so much rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He played in Japan a few years ago to play during the off-season, an injury cut short that season.
It’s possible he has just decided to retire, I’d imagine it’s extremely frustrating getting injured so often and missing so much rugby

I know he was helping support a fairly large extended family down Logan away for quite some time. Agree re the frustration of injuries, but he's only just turned 27, if he could pickup some decent coin overseas (and we know they pay well for anyone Wallaby capped) then I hope he plays for few more seasons.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's survived under the tenure of 4 head coaches I believe and has a couple of Wallabies caps, he's served Australian rugby well. I wonder where he is headed, haven't seen his name pop up on any media releases but I guess he's not high profile enough.

Remember the cross field kick from Quade for a try against SA.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
My Gallopers have taken quite a hit there!

Throw Dave Feao into that list and you've got pretty much all the front row stocks from last year and all managed to get game time. Lets hope there aren't too many injuries.

On the otherhand, I don't think I've seen that many Wests players in a Reds squad ever. We've almost got the an entire backline there. Last time I saw that was with Latho, Schifsofske and Berrick.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
On the otherhand, I don't think I've seen that many Wests players in a Reds squad ever. We've almost got the an entire backline there. Last time I saw that was with Latho, Schifsofske and Berrick.

And imagine if Carter Gordon had stuck around, he would have played some time this year. Some good things coming out of Wests!

They just can't seem to build depth to be competitive at club level.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
And imagine if Carter Gordon had stuck around, he would have played some time this year. Some good things coming out of Wests!

They just can't seem to build depth to be competitive at club level.

Yeah would have been nice! Also losing his Brother didn't help Wests. I can only hope Wests grabs a few of those BBC 1st XV boys from last year, but UQ seems to always grab the talent first!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Happy to get big Ben Grant. 6ft9 and 118kg (same as hockings). Townsville Born, Gold Coast Schooled.

Few interesting 10/12 contracts. Not the worst when it's considered as development and shoring up depth, noone at the Reds SHOULD be thrown in the deepend anymore, expected to start and perform from the get go. (Unlike Greene and Mcintyre + even Nonggoor last year)

Farewell to Straker - Bit concerned about our prop depth - Nasser could be our 6th at a pinch, but most likely pull someone in from clubland if there is a void.

Hoped wood would be our Swinton but not to be, hopefully Uru and Wallis are up to it.

CFS - Sad day for (once) potential queensland great. Hoped to see him in Super Rugby elsewhere.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Asiata is advertised as going to Mackay as part of the Reds to Regions tour, so maybe he has a development contract?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My take on the squad is there is a quality starting XV, and really good depth in the backline. However the forward pack is really shallow in depth in the front row and lock positions. An injury for Tupou/Blyth/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) could really weaken the team.

Reds really need the likes of Smith/Tuialima/Grant to step up and prove themselves at lock because they’ll get plenty of game time this season.
Likewise at Prop; Hoopert, Zander and Fotuaika need to improve their game on take on more responsibility now that the Smith twins are gone.

In the backline I think there is some real depth to the team, with Stewart and Hegarty providing solid alternates if there’s an injury or two there. And I also think the Reds have recruited/retained well with Henry, Grealy & Flook all good club players who have earned their opportunity.

As long as injuries don’t strike down their key players, there’s no reason this Reds team couldn’t go all the way in 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That’s Game 1 rollout I reckon. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Stewart are going to have to step it up to get some good game time. Stewart would have been my preference for 12 but you can’t have Paisami or Petaia on the bench. Petaia to fullback is always an option.

My focus on this is 10. Which will be JOC (James O'Connor). In which case I don’t see Paisami at 12 our best solution and suspect that Stewart should be competitive for the slot. At the same time I can see Stewart taking that second ball handler role and expanding to 10 if needs be. Certainly if JOC (James O'Connor) gets injured.

Alternatively perhaps they are working on Paisami’s game play. Stewart also has a decent kick pass, not often included in the Reds game play, but if we were to pick up on Rennie kicking thoughts it could be important. Wonder how Paisami’s boot is.

What is the thinking of Petaia to 15? I can’t recall seeing him there. One thing I like a lot about Jock is his back line management. It isn’t easy to see on the screen but at the game he can be very organisational out there. It isn’t something you’d lose willingly unless the alternate had specific strengths.

I do like the experience that Paisami and Petaia bring together from the Wallabies. Thorn is not mad so will certainly work it into his thinking. All the same I suspect some are writing off the old backline keys too quickly:
10: JOC (James O'Connor)
12: Stewart
13: Petaia
15: Jock

23: Paisami

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paisami developed his game so much over the course of the test season. By the end of the test season I think he was a significant chunk better than at any time during Super Rugby.

If he can bring that sort of form into 2021 it's hard to see him not being in the starting XV.