• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU R2 - Reds v Rebels Suncorp Stadium 26/2

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is a 1.5 hour flight really major travel? I do agree it's a disadvantage but I don't think a major one.

Most Sydney based NRL teams would be stuck on a bus for longer than that during their local derbies. Rebels need to suck it up.

These guys are paid good money to be professional rugby players, travel is part of that. If you can't get your team, body and mind right in the week leading up to a game, don't blame it on the travel that comes right at the end.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It shouldn't be as bad as last years travel. Last year because they had state government clearance to participate it required a fly in and fly out with the teams having to arrive at the stadium around 5hrs prior to the game and not been allowed to do much more than run on the field and chill in the dressing room.

This year the 5hrs prior to game will be removed and the players if they get there early enough will be free to go for a coffee. I’d say they will fly in first thing in the morning and then have a pre-set up arrangement where they can check in early for the hotel. It’d be more they will lose a day of prep that the other team had. It’s a disadvantage but I don’t think it will be to the extreme like it was last year when not one team won when the hopped onto a plane.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is also the flip side of being able to sleep in their own bed the night before the game, proper rest the night before is probably more important than waking up at your destination, for most people anyway. If you know what to expect re the travel arrangements, you can plan appropriately, make sure you get the necessary sessions in before the game.

I think with last year there was still such an element of unknown each week, it made planning in advance hard. And as mentioned the travel times were generally much longer due to airport arrival times.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think it's a valid point, but I don't think it needs to be a public issue, talk to Rugby Australia about it and if they don't think it's a big deal take a tea spoon of cement.
Like I get that yes the Rebels and the Force have been bearing the brunt of the COVID craziness, but at the same time that's where the cases / lock-downs have been and WA is very isolated. Plus NSW and QLD like it or not are Rugby's heartland, players from (or thorough their systems) make up the vast majority of Wallabies etc.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is also the flip side of being able to sleep in their own bed the night before the game, proper rest the night before is probably more important than waking up at your destination, for most people anyway. If you know what to expect re the travel arrangements, you can plan appropriately, make sure you get the necessary sessions in before the game.

I think with last year there was still such an element of unknown each week, it made planning in advance hard. And as mentioned the travel times were generally much longer due to airport arrival times.
They are already not sleeping in their own beds as they are in Canberra due to different rules in different states. ACT seems to be the only place consistently allowed into each state.

The most likely scenario will be they are on the first flight to qld on fri morning so prob between 6-630am.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They are already not sleeping in their own beds as they are in Canberra due to different rules in different states.

Stuff me this is getting boring. Had some sympathy to start with.

Let's get back to the game. Reds by 20. Rebels to finish #4.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it's a valid point, but I don't think it needs to be a public issue, talk to Rugby Australia about it and if they don't think it's a big deal take a tea spoon of cement.
Like I get that yes the Rebels and the Force have been bearing the brunt of the COVID craziness, but at the same time that's where the cases / lock-downs have been and WA is very isolated. Plus NSW and QLD like it or not are Rugby's heartland, players from (or thorough their systems) make up the vast majority of Wallabies etc.
Agree with most of this, however I don’t understand what the heartlands mean for the comp???? AFL just finished the majority of its season in the least heartland state in the country for it, it was played there because it made sense. Just like it makes sense atm that the Rebels are the unfortunate ones to bear the brunt of the current season because of political decisions (right or wrong). I’m 99.9% sure if QLD or NSW had Covid restrictions on them currently then RA would also pack them up for a period of time to complete fixtures.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

If you look at my posts I have not whinged at all, just correcting misinformation.

I agree all should get on with it

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree with most of this, however I don’t understand what the heartlands mean for the comp???? AFL just finished the majority of its season in the least heartland state in the country for it, it was played there because it made sense. Just like it makes sense atm that the Rebels are the unfortunate ones to bear the brunt of the current season because of political decisions (right or wrong). I’m 99.9% sure if QLD or NSW had Covid restrictions on them currently then RA would also pack them up for a period of time to complete fixtures.

I’ve found you’re points pretty reasonable and don’t disagree with any of them. I don’t think you’ve whinged at all so not sure why there’s the hostility directed at your posts.

I think a playing in a heartland has merit if the crowds were able to attend, if the decision were 50/50 between somewhere like Victoria and Queensland, I think Queensland would be the preferred option since there are more casual rugby fans willing to pay and attend.

But that is assuming they both have the same covid restrictions, which we know doesn’t seem to be the case since all states are doing their own thing and making their own rules. At the end of the day it’s the covid restrictions and state govt support which will dictate where teams would play and be based.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Rebels next game against Brumbies has been moved to Canberra so they will be able to fly to Perth. The 16th April game vs the Brumbies will now be played on 18th April in Melbourne.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Changes for the Reds
Tupou set to start in place of Fotuaika, and Vunivalu onto the bench for Droasese

Reactions: dru

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I think the Reds will win but I can't see the Rebels coming 4th in a two horse race.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Apparently
Reds (15-1) Jock Campbell, Jordan Petaia, Hunter Paisami, Hamish Stewart, Filipo Daugunu, James O'Connor (c), Tate McDermott, Harry Wilson, Fraser McReight, Angus Scott-Young, Seru Eru, Angus Blyth, Taniela Tupou, Alex Mafi, Dane Zander
Reserves: Josh Nasser, Harry Hoopert, Feao Fotuaika, Ryan Smith, Sam Wallis, Moses Sorovi, Bryce Hegarty, Suliasi Vunivalu

https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/suli...ews-2021/6328989f-ec2b-4ef2-b800-80eecf90e203

Seriously, can we standardise team lists as 1 to 15.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
What's the background on Sam Wallis?
UQ Prems last few years ( 3 I think, maybe 4 ? ) mostly at #8 . Played Brisbane City in the NRC 2019.

Got called into the squad last year during the COVID bubble . Played a bit of #7 in the Tahs trial this year and 6/8 last year.

Good dynamic ball runner , hits hard and is quite quick. Will provide general back row cover off the bench.

Hope he gets on , will be great to see him get a cap .

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Rebels 1-15: Cabous Eloff, Jordan Uelese, Pone Faamausili, Steve Cummins, Trevor Hosea, Brad Wilkin, Richard Hardwick, Michael Wells, Joe Powell, Matt To'omua (c), Marika Koroibete, Reece Hodge, Stacey Ili, Lachlan Anderson, Tom Pincus

Reserves: Ed Craig, Isaac Aedo Kailea, Rhys van Nek, Rob Leota, Josh Kemeny, James Tuttle, Glen Vaihu, Frank Lomani