• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Isn't it funny how the hooker roundabout continues. I thought Mafi was really good last week, he's taking the opportunity with BPA out to get some form back. How much longer is BPA gone? Reds could be left with another selection headache of managing game time between an in-form hooker (who clearly has potential to be a Wallaby when in form) and using the incumbent Wallabies hooker.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Have to disagree strongly on the looking 'very complete'. Looked like has hasn't worked on his flaws at all. His power game was good, unsurprising as he was running off Barrett and against a team that thought tackling was optional.

But he pushed passes, he was brushed off for the opposition's try, dropped a high ball. Did a useless grubber that went straight to the opposition.

Yeh I think we will end up disagreeing on this one. Some of the flaws you pointed out were definitely the result of playing against a much lesser opposition. There were scoring opportunities for Sungoliath every time they had the ball, even on their own goal line, its natural that some passes will be pushed and poor decisions made when you've got that mindset, but he had already done the hard work to get them there.

I reckon he passed more to his wingers in 60mins for Sungoliath than he did the entire 2019 Reds season, which is a notable improvement. Anyway this is a Reds 2021 thread so won't keep going on about it but thought it was worth mentioning.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Liam Wright turned up on the Pillar to Post podcast for a chat, and interestingly enough, he mentioned they are clearly trying to manage Taniela's minutes as they recognised last year they asked too much of him to play constant 80 minute games.

So, I'd imagine we'll see more of Taniela coming off the bench or being subbed early this season.

It's well worth a listen for SEQ rugby fans as there's a heavy focus on club rugby. I'd suggest its a headphone only podcast or don't play it with the kids in the car.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He was really good on the pod. Got into the spirit of it, when most players would probably avoid some of the areas they go.

I's agree with Ignoto, don't have your kids anywhere near you when listening.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So what's our backline this week look like?
Is Stewart retained, is Jordie moved to 13, is Vuni starting at 14, does Vuni play at 13; does Campbell drop out of the XV?

Obviously safe bet is Vunivalu to play from the bench, but we've got lots of options?

Also with the forwards does Tupou come back into the Starting XV? Was there any injury report on ASY (Angus Scott-Young) he looked like he wasn't quite right towards the end of that game? Do we look to a Ben Grant / Ryan Smith to come into lock and move Uru back to a more natural 6 or 8?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So what's our backline this week look like?
Is Stewart retained, is Jordie moved to 13, is Vuni starting at 14, does Vuni play at 13; does Campbell drop out of the XV?

Obviously safe bet is Vunivalu to play from the bench, but we've got lots of options?

Also with the forwards does Tupou come back into the Starting XV? Was there any injury report on ASY (Angus Scott-Young) he looked like he wasn't quite right towards the end of that game? Do we look to a Ben Grant / Ryan Smith to come into lock and move Uru back to a more natural 6 or 8?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Don’t think there will be many, if any, changes to the team rollout. Stewart needs to be involved in the attacking play if he wants to keep his position in the starters. Still my best option for flyhalf if JOC (James O'Connor) pisses off next year.
Vunivalu will be an interesting one. Possible bench but who drops out? Hegarty is the best flyhalf and fullback sub.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Same starting backline for mine.

If Vunivalu makes the match day squad will be interesting to see how he is used and the shuffle that happens .

If he does get on , wouldn’t mind seeing Jordy get a crack at 15 with Vunivalu going to 14 .

Would not want to see 12/13 changed unless they are wanting to give other combinations some match time to cover possible injuries.

Stewart and Paisami were great last week , still can’t get over the improvement in Hunter over the past year. He was close to best on ground for me last Friday .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah 12-13 combo worked well defensively I thought, and attacking wise they both offer enough of a passing and running game to complement the strike power outside

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't see Petaia taking Jock at 15. Sooner or later I will be proven wrong. But I'd stick with Campbell.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Any club rugby, specifically Wests fans, have any ideas how many more club rugby games Hunter Paisami has played over Petaia?

Hunter seems to be grasping the physical nature of professional rugby better than Jordy. I think we can attribute a fair chunk of this to having had more consistent playing time on the park with the big boys. Hunter was the least likely of the two at the start of last year to really cement his spot in the Reds (and hopefully Wallabies) backline. But I really like the look of him in 2021.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't get the Stewart love from last game. I thought he bombed at least 2 tries when he chose not to pass the ball. He needs to show a bit more of last years form otherwise I'd replace him with Vunavalu and move Hunter to 12 and Jordan to 13. If he plays better I'd see what the game needs. Vunavalu can come on for anyone from 11-15 and the backline can be shuffled to put him on the wing and move others around.

If ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is out I'd start Smith in the row and Uru at 6. I was a doubter before last week but can see Uru pushing for that 6 role if they can find someone to do all the work that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) does in tight.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't get the Stewart love from last game. I thought he bombed at least 2 tries when he chose not to pass the ball. He needs to show a bit more of last years form otherwise I'd replace him with Vunavalu and move Hunter to 12 and Jordan to 13. If he plays better I'd see what the game needs. Vunavalu can come on for anyone from 11-15 and the backline can be shuffled to put him on the wing and move others around.

If ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is out I'd start Smith in the row and Uru at 6. I was a doubter before last week but can see Uru pushing for that 6 role if they can find someone to do all the work that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) does in tight.
Yeah Stewart didn’t have a great game but has the skill and just needs to work on consistency.
Uru on the rise to secure the 6 jersey. It will be interesting when Wright comes back in.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Not everyone can be a superstar in a team, most good teams have solid players that are reliable week in and week out to do their job.

I see Stewart as a 2021 version of Anthony Faiingaa, he will probably never be the best Centre on the planet, but his consistency can never be understated.

I cant understand the love for Jordan at the moment, his flashes of brilliance come with some poor play and poor hands.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Probably fair.

I just see Jordan offering more at his best than Stewart can do at his best. Surely it can't be that hard not to regularly drop the ball though.

rugbyfan90

Chris McKivat (8)
Any club rugby, specifically Wests fans, have any ideas how many more club rugby games Hunter Paisami has played over Petaia?

Hunter seems to be grasping the physical nature of professional rugby better than Jordy. I think we can attribute a fair chunk of this to having had more consistent playing time on the park with the big boys. Hunter was the least likely of the two at the start of last year to really cement his spot in the Reds (and hopefully Wallabies) backline. But I really like the look of him in 2021.

From what I can find/remember, Jordy only played 1 or 2 games max for Wests Prems back in 2018..
vs
Hunter had a full 2019 season with Wests plus 2019 NRC with Brisbane City. Additionally, Hunter came from Melbourne where he was with the Rebels and played NRC with the Rising in 2017. I assume he played Club Rugby there too.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
From what I can find/remember, Jordy only played 1 or 2 games max for Wests Prems back in 2018..
vs
Hunter had a full 2019 season with Wests plus 2019 NRC with Brisbane City. Additionally, Hunter came from Melbourne where he was with the Rebels and played NRC with the Rising in 2017. I assume he played Club Rugby there too.

I'm pretty sure Paisami played two seasons of NRC for the Rising and, IIRC, club footy for Harlequins.