• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 27th Feb, Canberra

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
This is a bit subjective but I’d say:
Bell = Slipper
Horton > Mcinerney
Harrison = Lolesio
Ramm > Hansen
Maddocks

The other 7 starting positions, and most importantly the bench, it’s clearly advantage Brumbies
Bell is no where near slipper. That’s ridiculous!
Lolesio is better than Harrison
Maddocks has far more to offer
And the others have all season to work it out.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Bell is a long way off Slipper at this stage. He got owned last week by an unknown. I wish we still had Robertson

I was judging him more off how he went v the All Blacks scrum than last weeks shambles. Anyway, we will see. We can’t line them up against each other, only against the scrum as a whole, so Bell will be pushing shit up hill all season.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't know if this has been said before, but it might be hard to look good as a prop if your second rowers are pushing like drugged up squids. Or so I've heard.

Having said that I believe Slipper is better than Bell in a scrum. And Bell won't have the back five he had against the All Blacks this weekend.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I was judging him more off how he went v the All Blacks scrum than last weeks shambles. Anyway, we will see. We can’t line them up against each other, only against the scrum as a whole, so Bell will be pushing shit up hill all season.
Yes. The All black second string AB FR. Didn't do much else. Slipper is very effective in attack and defence. He really isn't near Slipper yet. Maybe in time

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't know if this has been said before, but it might be hard to look good as a prop if your second rowers are pushing like drugged up squids. Or so I've heard.

Having said that I believe Slipper is better than Bell in a scrum. And Bell won't have the back five he had against the All Blacks this weekend.

That’s kinda where I was coming from. Similarly it will be hard for Harrison to look better than Noah unless the Brumbies backs put in a mare, or the Tahs backs pull out a blinder. Neither of which are impossible mind you. Last season it was one all from the two times they played each other and I think they are evenly matched players albeit with different skill sets.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Despite what looks like a lop sided game, there are some matchups that should have us all interested in the game.

Lolesio head to head with Harrison will be a treat.

Swinton v Valetini should have the stands rocking.

Banks and Maddocks are hard to split at 15.

Tizzano against Brown could be decisive in selecting a backup to McReight later in the season. I have it in mind that Brown is Wallaby eligible through family, though I might be wrong on that count.

Front row battle will be important. Potential against experience in the props with two recently capped hookers.

I reckon, otherwise, the Brumbies should be dominant in the locks, No 8, No 9 and centres/wings. Brumbies bench also looks the stronger.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking at that ‘Tahs team it’s easy to see a good structure. Locks are weak but aside from them it’s a great forward pack. Some serious young talent in the backline. This year might be a write off but there’s genuine talent.

Great forward packs don't get absolutely hammered like the Tahs did last Friday.

How is Horton still the best hooker available? He had a nightmare game last Friday and Porecki was dynamic when he got on, one of the few forwards who really put in an effort.

Slipper is Australia's best loosehead prop. Bell had his arse handed to him by the Reds reserve THP - a prop who was criticised as not being up to Super level in last week's match thread.

Tizzano was good last week but Dempsey was totally outplayed by his opposite. Swinton has the occasional blinder but his playing level last season was distinctly average and he is a penalty/card magnet. Against Valentini, Brown and Samu that backrow looks decidedly weak.

I think you're taking the piss!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Great forward packs don't get absolutely hammered like the Tahs did last Friday.

How is Horton still the best hooker available? He had a nightmare game last Friday and Porecki was dynamic when he got on, one of the few forwards who really put in an effort.

Slipper is Australia's best loosehead prop. Bell had his arse handed to him by the Reds reserve THP - a prop who was criticised as not being up to Super level in last week's match thread.

Tizzano was good last week but Dempsey was totally outplayed by his opposite. Swinton has the occasional blinder but his playing level last season was distinctly average and he is a penalty/card magnet. Against Valentini, Brown and Samu that backrow looks decidedly weak.

I think you're taking the piss!

With shit locks you’ll never get anywhere, you can’t deny your back row is class. Better than all except perhaps the Reds. Front row can go head to head with Rebels & Force easily. You got trounced by the best forward pack in the comp, doesn’t mean your forwards aren’t good. As a rebels fan I’m jealous.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
With shit locks you’ll never get anywhere, you can’t deny your back row is class. Better than all except perhaps the Reds. Front row can go head to head with Rebels & Force easily. You got trounced by the best forward pack in the comp, doesn’t mean your forwards aren’t good. As a rebels fan I’m jealous.

Agree on the locks. Ther was a young Qld bloke down there who many had big wraps on. Could be a better shout than the 2 journeymen starting now.

I think the Brumbies backrow more than stack up against the Tahs one. Even Force have a decent back row however not flashy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mostly agree with you UTR. Bell may have a huge future (I think he will) but right now Slipper is clearly ahead of him. Horton and McInerney are hard to separate, Horton probably better about the paddock, but small which might give McInerney the edge in the scrum. I am a big fan of Harrison, but the evidence would suggest at this stage Lolesio is ahead of him. I would prefer Maddocks in my side over Banks, is far better at his best, but Banks is more consistent.

Slipper is far better at being a prop and doing prop things, Bell is a better running forward

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bell is still 20. Slipper is clearly better at the moment but Bell is improving rapidly.

He looked much better at Wallaby level as part of a stronger scrum compared with the Tahs scrum so I don't think his scrummaging is that far behind some of his contemporaries.

I'd put money on Bell being our first choice LHP by the 2023 RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies simply have a better pack because they are good players and are entrenched in a coherent system

The Tahs have good players, but they aren't within a coherent system

There is a clear "Brumbies way" for the pigs to go about their work, that isn't the case at the Tahs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Less disruption in the Brumbies ranks, too. They've had guys there for a while doing it as a unit.

Yep, and they have units within the production line and that production only has to produce one or maybe two a year

And then the Tahs lost two gun lineout locks and best 7 in the country. And the reality is that any side will struggle to replace three starting wallaby forwards in one hit

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Slipper is far better at being a prop and doing prop things, Bell is a better running forward

That's where I was coming from with my assessment. If you're just talking scrum time then yes Slipper is superior, and admittedly that's the number one criteria when you're selecting your props. But once they're on the paddock it's only part of the package.