• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What does the Olympics being held in Brisbane mean for Queensland rugby if anything? Ballymore? Suncorp?

Not confirmed yet and it’s also a long ways way.

I bet they’ll have to think about a athletics stadium type upgrade.. whether that’s at QE2 or elsewhere (I always thought greenbank army base serviced by Springfield train station and Logan motoway would make a fantastic Olympic village)

Anyways in terms of rugby. You’ll probably see a end to test match rugby at Suncorp and games moved to the Olympic stadium.

I expect the reds and broncs to continue to play out of Suncorp though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What does the Olympics being held in Brisbane mean for Queensland rugby if anything? Ballymore? Suncorp?

quite a bit possibly.

Lang Park will host the 7s and Soccer so will get some minor upgrades to keep it modern.

Ballymore likely to be used for field hockey (temporary pitch) so will get some more state and federal funding for venue upgrades, perhaps for that eastern grand stand.

Main stadium likely to be Albion Race Way next to AB Oval. Will become our #2 rectangle field post games (or before if done) for Reds and Roar with a similar size to CBUS on the GC. Will use overlay for the Games. Will have improved public transport and amenities to it as well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Petaia is not 3-10. Numbers obfuscate, but maybe 4-8? 5-8? With 10 as an upside? Stewart is a solid 6-7 on that score. [His impressiveness is that he holds the same ability when stepping up to international level. Rare situation, that.]

Petaia also has not told us what position he is targeting. Apparently doesn't want 13 (hence Paisami opportunity) and wants 15. Which so far no professional coach/selector seems to agree with. He needs to lock in quickly with a choice, a choice that the coaching staff can live with. Otherwise he has Hodge-style utility stamped all over him.

I thought he was good on the wing, not as good as he has been at 13. But if he doesn't want it, clearly Paisami does. I wouldn't choose Paisami over Stewart right now either, and if Paisami likes 13, is dedicating to it, and continues to do well - well Petaia's opportunity just shrank.

And may continue shrinking if Vunavalu shows any of the promise that attracted Reds/RA.

So 15 stands as a possibility. (So does 14 with a fight.) Petaia is likely to displace Campbell more quickly at 15 than he might displace Stewart at 12. But he still has to convince the coaches to try it, and he has to show the same aptitude that I think he has shown at 13. (Did I mention "but apparently doesn't want".)

It's a conundrum. For now Paisami is taking opportunities. Neither Stewart nor Campbell have actually locked in their consistency and effectiveness in 2021, but then Petaia is not doing anything, it seems, to lay a challenge.

Unless something changes, I see 11: Daugunu; 12: Stewart; 13: Paisami; 14: It's a fight; 15: Campbell/Hegarty. And Petaia in the 14 fight or to the bench as an impact player. An important impact player, but probably not where he wants to be going.

I'd argue the Stewart was a 5 at best on Friday night. Also, he's never made the step up to international level, and would be a long way off in my view.

On another point I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is being underrated by many here. He did a huge amount of hard work the other night that freed up others to shine.

I think Uru can be a quality lock at Super level, Thorn proved you can be successful without being super tall. His best spot is obviously in the back row but can do a job until LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is back and gives the option for flexibility on the bench.

McReight is a freak. I just want to watch him play. Attacks the breakdown, gets turnovers, runs the ball well and always looking to offload. I didn't belive the hype but I'm now fully converted.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
agree with that Jets. I am a huge Stewart fan and think he is a vital cog to this Reds team, but he blew some options and was a little off.

Agree with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) - I thought he was superb and would have been my MOM if it hadn't have been for McReight.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) doesn't do the flashy stuff but you can see why Thorne likes him. Hits hard, works hard - always bounces up for repeat efforts, no nonsense bloke. Like Jets said his game allows the back row and a bloke like Uru to do what they do best. Compliments that pack very welk.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I feel like the ASY (Angus Scott-Young) / Uru battle and the Stewart / Petaia battle is quite similar. One a low key quiet achiever the other a bubbling ball of potential. It's all quite interesting.
At the end of the day we don't need to know exactly who our best XV is just yet, the Rebels are at reduced strength and should be good enough to really test the team. The Force are an unknown at this point they could get a lot better or they could be on par with the Rebs. Either way that gives us 2 games to really figure out our best XV (sans Wright) before the big game against Brumbies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I keep watching Campbell hoping to see what some of the others do, but it’s just not there yet. Maybe it’s his lack of dominance or the fact that I like a fullback playing like the second playmaker. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to be in the mix. For me, Petaia should be given a shot.
Yeah - I know we have different opinions on Jock. The joy of being an arm chair critic.

I must say though I’m bloody glad we are in a position where we can be debating which quality player gets left out and how do we get our boom prospects a run when we have established guys playing well.

It’s been a long time coming.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah - I know we have different opinions on Jock. The joy of being an arm chair critic.

I must say though I’m bloody glad we are in a position where we can be debating which quality player gets left out and how do we get our boom prospects a run when we have established guys playing well.

It’s been a long time coming.
And with 15 Junior Wallabies coming through.

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
also consider Henry Speight was signed to the Reds for 2021 as well before he was released during COVID

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Second game Stewart didn't really do too much. Do we think in week 4 well see the wallaby centre pairing with Vunivalu on the wing?

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mafi was very good tonight. I think he was the game breaker against the Rebels last year at Brookvale oval.

Surprised he hasn't been picked up for higher honours earlier.

Fit, strong and very fast, although a little shaky lineout time, like nearly all current SRAU (and Wallaby) hookers.

He seems to have a good Rugby brain. Has he been injured in past years, hampering his progress/potential in the eyes of the North Sydney Masonic Gin Swillers?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Imagine a rebels fan having the nerve and lecturing about crowd support.

Nice to hear from one of the 17 Rebels season ticket holders. Are you rostered to cook the chicken nuggets at the next Rebels home game or punching the tickets upon entry?

He's not a Rebels fan. Shit stirring 'Tahs fan I believe who hasn't had a Rebels badge before today. Exclusively posts in Waratahs, Reds and Shute Shield threads (and Sydney Colts). Has never once posted in the Rebels thread.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He's not a Rebels fan. Shit stirring 'Tahs fan I believe who hasn't had a Rebels badge before today. Exclusively posts in Waratahs, Reds and Shute Shield threads (and Sydney Uni Colts). Has never once posted in the Rebels thread.
And most of his posts are shit stirring rubbish