• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
He's not a Rebels fan. Shit stirring 'Tahs fan I believe who hasn't had a Rebels badge before today. Exclusively posts in Waratahs, Reds and Shute Shield threads (and Sydney Uni Colts). Has never once posted in the Rebels thread.

A few Sydney University former players with the Rebels.

Sydney is known for its fair weather support of its sporting teams.
Exhibit 1: The legendary booing of the Tahs by Tahs fans in year s past
Exhibit 2: Sell outs only when Sydney sides are winning (in all codes - AFL, Rugby, League, Netball, Bubble Ball, Soccer etc)

Possibly someone jumping ship before the annual Tahs Collapse. This usually happens around early June, but the with COVID the timing of many "traditions" is being challenged.

Us Tah's supporter veterans/tragics, know and expect that to happen and are not phased when it happens slightly out of synchronisation.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He's not a Rebels fan. Shit stirring 'Tahs fan I believe who hasn't had a Rebels badge before today. Exclusively posts in Waratahs, Reds and Shute Shield threads (and Sydney Colts). Has never once posted in the Rebels thread.

Haha - I actually had to replace Tahs with Rebels quickly in my post as I was certain I had seen him popup before as a Tahs fan, and then did a double take and edited my post.

So yes my 17 member chat is valid re Tahs and Rebs

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
pnut seems to have started posting in the 2019 Sydney Colts Forum, suggesting that they have some affiliation with a 2018 school leaver.

A little dismissive of Sydney Club, Gordon, and their recruiting methods although the tome of previous posts suggests they may not be from the Camperdown (Sydney Uni Associated) elite either. maybe their Manly Marlins icon is a clue to their true identity.
Possibly a Hodge associate. I am often accused of being Ed Craig's dad on Green and Gold. Maybe pnut is Rhys's Dad. There is no love lost between Gordon and Manly or Uni. Mind you everyone hates Uni in Sydney.

Off topic. Good night team. The Reds are a confident and quality team.

It seems rather obvious that this years SRAU final will probably be a repeat of last years.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
pnut seems to have started posting in the 2019 Sydney Colts Forum, suggesting that they have some affiliation with a 2018 school leaver.

A little dismissive of Sydney Club, Gordon, and their recruiting methods although the tome of previous posts suggests they may not be from the Camperdown (Sydney Uni Associated) elite either. maybe their Manly Marlins icon is a clue to their true identity.
Possibly a Hodge associate. I am often accused of being Ed Craig's dad on Green and Gold. Maybe pnut is Rhys's Dad. There is no love lost between Gordon and Manly or Uni. Mind you everyone hates Uni in Sydney.
Mate - can you edit your post and remove the bit about the game score. They have a seperate match thread so people who haven’t seen the game but plan to can still come onto here

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Very happy to see Mafi back to his 2019 form after he went off the boil last year. I had him ahead of BPA until last year when BPA pulled ahead by quite a bit. He had a great all round game tonight (except the wee knock on when trying to score, funnily enough when he did cross after that he made the kick easier for JOC (James O'Connor)) and his L/O throwing has improved out of sight. Great to see players regain their confidence and performing after a dip under this coaching group. Bodes well for the future.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I feel like the selection headaches have just been made worse. Vuni was good but largely uninvolved, so likely they'll keep with the status quo against the Force. I felt like Campbell showed the value of an out and out fullback this week with a few good kicks and knifing runs. But I'd say maybe he's the most tenuous of the backs.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru are still going toe to toe and you could throw blanket over them. And BPA will come through the bench.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I feel like the selection headaches have just been made worse. Vuni was good but largely uninvolved, so likely they'll keep with the status quo against the Force. I felt like Campbell showed the value of an out and out fullback this week with a few good kicks and knifing runs. But I'd say maybe he's the most tenuous of the backs.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru are still going toe to toe and you could throw blanket over them. And BPA will come through the bench.

Hmm I think Stewart will be the one to make way if they want to start Paisami, Petaia, Daugunu and Vuni. Campbell hasn't put a foot wrong in the past 2 games. Stewart had a better game last night than the previous week. I think the difference is in the quality of their replacements. If Campbell doesn't play it is daylight to the next 15. Perhaps Hegarty or JOC (James O'Connor) but both would be 10s playing 15. Grealy is untried at this level and I certainly wouldn't be throwing him in when out starting 15 is performing so well. It has been years since we have had a proper 15 playing at the back and you can see the difference it makes. Where as with Stewart, he would make way for Paisami - the incumbent Wallaby 12/13. For me that is where the difference lays. Paisami's ball playing has improved out of sight since super AU last year so that perceived weakness in his game is much improved. Stewart may find himself in the supersub role. Or perhaps Jordy will be benched. His performance last night was very error ridden.

Personally I would/think they will rotate the starting 11/12/13/14. Keep then fresh and on their toes. Don't lose much with any of them starting.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Hmm I think Stewart will be the one to make way if they want to start Paisami, Petaia, Daugunu and Vuni. Campbell hasn't put a foot wrong in the past 2 games. Stewart had a better game last night than the previous week. I think the difference is in the quality of their replacements. If Campbell doesn't play it is daylight to the next 15. Perhaps Hegarty or JOC (James O'Connor) but both would be 10s playing 15. Grealy is untried at this level and I certainly wouldn't be throwing him in when out starting 15 is performing so well. It has been years since we have had a proper 15 playing at the back and you can see the difference it makes. Where as with Stewart, he would make way for Paisami - the incumbent Wallaby 12/13. For me that is where the difference lays. Paisami's ball playing has improved out of sight since super AU last year so that perceived weakness in his game is much improved. Stewart may find himself in the supersub role. Or perhaps Jordy will be benched. His performance last night was very error ridden.

Personally I would/think they will rotate the starting 11/12/13/14. Keep then fresh and on their toes. Don't lose much with any of them starting.

I always thought Stewart would be a great 15 too

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let's follow up on the Paisami - Petaia: Stewart - Campbell conundrum.

I'm warming to 12: Paisami. "Warming up" meaning I'm out of the freezer and into the fridge. I like the Red system of having a play maker at 12. In part this is needed as a bolster to 10: JOC (James O'Connor) who is very good but hardly the most creative fly half in the world. I have this gut feel that Stewart works really well sitting in as playmaker outside of JOC (James O'Connor).

And this is why I am wrong:

Round 1: Stewart passes - nil; Paisami - 5. Round 2: Stewart passes - 3; Paisami - 10. Now quite clearly Jim Mackay has some fluidity in how positions work and the boys are being given different sort of jobs. Also clear is that the Paisami stats speak more strongly for 12 than Stewart's do. In the first 2 rounds of 2021 anyway.

The stats don't pick up Paisami's kick passing. It is not overdone like Quade's could be, but it is there and looked pretty good against the Rebels. Paisami, for sure is in the 15, a starter easily.

If we do pull Paisami in closer to in-centre, we need an out centre. Is that really Petaia? You do not see it on the broadcast, but again I have been impressed with Campbell's conversation on the field. On Friday he took Petaia under his wing and there was a heap of conversation. Others will read a back line far, far better than I do, but is Petaia being used in the back three as a second full back? I think so. He had the best run m on Friday and second after Daugunu in round 1. Petaia kicks intelligently in terms on when and why, though perhaps we can hope for more distance as the season develops. Petaia seems to like the role.

I'm not sure I would pull Petaia into out centre when he is settling into the back three so well. And that in turn means Paisami at 13 and Stewart keeps 12. I also would not drop Campbell either. Yet. BUT if Vunivalu shapes up, I reckon Campbell may find himself challenged. And I would have Hegarty at 23 over Campbell.

So, in time, this season, maybe:
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 11: Daugunu; 12: Stewart; 13: Paisami; 14: Vunivalu; 15: Petaia. And Campbell ends up injury cover. Wow. If the back line is good enough to force Campbell into injury cover then things are not looking shabby at all.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
^
Very few win at the SANZAAR wheel of misfortune these days. WR (World Rugby) directive is head contact from a red card is automatically 6 weeks then you get the discounts applied after that.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Don’t disagree with the ruling of the red card for contact, he made contact to the head. But the punishment doesn’t seem to fit the crime. It was a hard clean out and an attempt was made and followed through with the arm. I worry that these types of rulings will severely impact the type of contest a ruck is supposed to be. It’s a core element of the game and if blokes are worried that being too aggressive in the clean out could have them seated for 3-6 weeks, it changes the way they play.

It used to be that your onballers, usually the open side would come off with the most bruises and bumps and need to sit in an ice bath for three days before they could walk again. Im not discrediting the dangerous nature of some play and the croc roll issues Pocock faced, but if we are depowering the clean out too much these guys will have a field day.