• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 27th Feb, Canberra

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Ah, I feel good. Went to the game and rejoiced in the demolition job, and then came home to read how the Tahs were actually the better team, played a more open, attacking game (FFS) and it was all on the head of Berry that the Brumbies got an undeserved win. Get real people.
Can we please have examples of claiming to be the better attacking team or blaming Berry (FFS)? I really haven't seen any comments saying that the Brumbies were outplayed and it wasn't a thoroughly deserved win

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ok, a bit of reality.

9 tries to one. Brumbies certainly are not a one trick side as many contend. Their attack from anywhere on the ground is as good or better than any other Aus side. They use their power in the maul to put defences to bed on their line.

Tonight, not one Tahs player was equal to his opposite.

Noah Lolesio is a mile ahead of Will Harrison even allowing for for the dominance of the Brumbies pack.

Simone is not only the most attacking and creative backline player in the Brumbies, but in the whole of SRAu. Combination with Len Ikitau is very dangerous to opposition defences.

Rob Valetini is a harder man than Swinton and a far better player. The backrow of Valetini, Samu and Brown was absolutely dominant.

The Brumbies locks, Neville, Swain and Frost are the form locks after two rounds. Frost looks like he will be one of the best in a couple of years.

From the Tahs point of view, the front row and scrum as a whole was demolished by the Brumbies. Angus Bell is still not at this level with his scrummaging.

Jack Dempsey again was virtually invisible. Little impact on the game at all.

Lachie Swinton was poor and easily riled.

Shame for Grant to come up against Nic White in top form in his starting debut.

Centers and wing very meh. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is way out of his depth at Super Rugby level.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Ok, a bit of reality.

9 tries to one. Brumbies certainly are not a one trick side as many contend. Their attack from anywhere on the ground is as good or better than any other Aus side. They use their power in the maul to put defences to bed on their line.

Noah Lolesio is a mile ahead of Will Harrison even allowing for for the dominance of the Brumbies pack.

Simone is not only the most attacking and creative backline player in the Brumbies, but in the whole of SRAu. Combination with Len Ikitau is very dangerous to opposition defences.

Rob Valetini is a harder man than Swinton and a far better player. The backrow of Valetini, Samu and Brown was absolutely dominant.

The Brumbies locks, Neville, Swain and Frost are the form locks after two rounds. Frost looks like he will be one of the best in a couple of years.

From the Tahs point of view, the front row and scrum as a whole was demolished by the Brumbies. Angus Bell is still not at this level with his scrummaging.

Centers and wing very meh. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is way out of his depth at Super Rugby level.

Holy lol.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Rob Penney lamenting the lack of detail around the attacking structure and says Monday review will be brutal viewing. No need to go hard on the young squad as it will be more of a detriment and they need support.

Attack would be Whittaker's department. The only attack he knows is when to have one if anyone asks how the hell he keeps getting a new contract despite being a rubbish attack coach since he has been at the Tahs

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ok, a bit of reality.

Its weird because Bell and Swinton looked the goods in a Wallaby jersey. Think they are both very good players in a very bad team.

Never been convinced by Dempsey.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Its weird because Bell and Swinton looked the goods in a Wallaby jersey. Think they are both very good players in a very bad team.
I don't agree. Bell did nothing in gold to impress in his games and was behind Robbo by then end of the Super Rugby season.. Swinton definitely looked the goods for the 30 minutes that he was on for his debut before his red card, but he was hot and cold last Super Rugby season I think they're both a bit over hyped

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Dunno.
As with everything in rugby, all I can rely on to answer your question is what my memory serves up - that joining players must do so from behind the ball carrier and stay there.

In the Reds game the commentary team were saying that you had to initially bind onto the last player before you can move up the ruck. I believe the law is that you have to bind onto the hindmost player. The application appears to be that your initial bind must be onto the hindmost player then you can sort of push up the maul.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I won't gush too hard at the result as I think we all knew where these two teams were at going into this match, but a couple of highlights for me:

In terms of one on one match ups - Rob Valetini made Swinton his personal plaything.

The Brumbies strolling through the Waratahs' mauls like they were their own.......... followed by Lolesio scoring from the back of a Brumbies maul.

And of course local boy Mack Hansen scoring a triple......... jimmyjam has probably bust a hernia over all those Canberra players tonight.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Brumbies strolling through the Waratahs' mauls like they were their own.
It appeared the 'Tahs would engage correctly at the maul but then 3 or 4 players would stand up and try to grab the Brumbies ball carrier at the back of their maul. Poor body height to push obviously, and the Brumbies well coached and rock-like maul would immediately gain ground.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, just watched this as I recorded it, bloody Aus games too late for me to watch 2 in weekend;). Not having a foot in either camp so it was interesting to see the differences in teams. I don't actually think BR was gloating when he said that none of the Tahs looked like they could match it with their opposite, they were very ordinary again. I said last year and say again, I don't get the Swinton thing, I fail to rate him. But he was part of a pretty poor team effort, and fellas defence isn't meant to be optional in rugby. It could be a fairly long season for Tahs fans.
Brumbies really were pretty good, thought their whole game plan, and more importantly their making sure they were alsways in support is what makes a good team. They going to take some beating this year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Are we talking about White's try off the back of that scrum?

If so, the people to blame are Tizzano, Tahs 9, and Dempsey
We'll take him back. Puttim on the return plane next Friday in the seat next to Sampson.

It’s time to get started.

It’s been a few years in the making the fall of the Waratahs so can’t blame the coach at this stage.

Roger Davis Chairman of the Waratahs has been there over this time and needs to go and go Monday.
Yep. The Dodger is Teflon tho, unfortunately.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Meh. Not sure what NSWRU head office expected giving Penney a budget that can’t stretch beyond inexperienced rookies and journeyman. They have shot themselves in the foot. Nobody is going to tune in to watch the Tahs be flogged every week.

Perhaps ARU should step in & limit the talent hoarding from certain franchises *cough *cough..

Let's start off by splitting in-half and merging Reds & Tahs squads to even out the playing field?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Perhaps ARU should step in & limit the talent hoarding from certain franchises *cough *cough..

Let's start off by splitting in-half and merging Reds & Tahs squads to even out the playing field?

Odd comment, 90% of the reds squad are Queenslanders who have come through the Queensland pathways. NSW has the same pathways, albeit much larger. Logic would suggest they have the same opportunities. Brumbies have smaller pathways but recruit well from NSW and QLD to fill out their squad.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Absolutely. Wallaby "top-ups" should be tied to Shute clubs. Been done before. It can be again.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Well Newsome said it right when responding to the question were there any positives out of the game and he said that there weren't many if any

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Am I missing the sarcasm and in some of these comments???

We should take the franchises who have either built their playing rosters from the ground and/or consistently taken good young talent and turn them into consistent super rugby/test level players - make them give up players they’ve developed and then give money to the Shute Shield?? These comments are tongue in cheek, right?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I feel for the Waratahs players. What has evolved in NSW rugby is a result of their poor management over the past 5 years. These blokes have protected themselves instead and getting the right people in to develop their pathways and the the academy selection process. The arrogance has bitten them on the arse. I can only see it getting worse before it gets better.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
And with 70% off their current squad off contract at the end of this year, you tell me how many of these players will want to hang around in 2022 if they are getting flogged every week. That’s not enjoyable rugby and will have an adverse effect on future Wallaby selection. It’s not looking pretty.