• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2021

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Waverley 1st XV team prediction (updated)

1. Reeve Smith
2. Darcy Sullivan
3. AJ Pereketes
4. Clem Halaholo
5. Fritz H-J
6. Ethan Halakatoa
7. Patrick Hogget/Jesse Sonego
8. Ethan King (C)
9. Klayton Thorn
10. Charlie Worthington/Emmanuel Di Bartolo (C)
11. Dane Towns
12. Aaron Dimovitch
13. ?
14. ?
15. Emmanuel Di Bartolo/?

-Will be interesting to see how the backline shapes up when it comes to game time. A lot of talent in the outside backs, yet no established 1st XV players returning.

-Very powerful and skilful forward pack. With the talent and depth of this pack the Waves will have a good platform to play off. Interesting to see what some of the rep players are able to bring to the table this year.

-Waverley will be better off with the experience of Ethan King and Emmanuel Di Bartolo leading the boys around. Both instrumental contributors to the 2020 premiership campaign, and will be essential in supporting some of the younger boys stepping into a 1st XV jersey for the first time.

This team could be anything. I'm expecting many close games throughout this competition. May even be one of those 'joint-premiership' years. However, being a Waverley supporter, it would be rude not to back them for the win.

A few outside the box selections here.
Tight 5 pick themselves , as do second row. 6 & 7 will be between 3 contenders in Hogget , Alex Elder and Halakatoa the latter still needs to improve but should be handy from the pine.

Worthington to play at 10 with Nick Quinn and Dimovitch at 12 & 13 Towns at 11. I hear the younger brother of Fritz is now attending Waverley and an outside back in the Gen Blue 7s program so expect to see him at some point. Di Bartolo to direct traffic from 15.

Captain is very much up in the air with both King and Di Bartolo repeating year 12 and I have been told that may hinder there chances why I don’t know.

YepFooty

Frank Row (1)
Big news out of Knox, gentlemen - S. Suresh will be making his long anticipated return to Rugby this season after a short stint at Squash. Expect him to be a lock in for the vacant Blind-side flanker spot, and a smokey for CAS selection this season.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
A few outside the box selections here.
Tight 5 pick themselves , as do second row. 6 & 7 will be between 3 contenders in Hogget , Alex Elder and Halakatoa the latter still needs to improve but should be handy from the pine.

Worthington to play at 10 with Nick Quinn and Dimovitch at 12 & 13 Towns at 11. I hear the younger brother of Fritz is now attending Waverley and an outside back in the Gen Blue 7s program so expect to see him at some point. Di Bartolo to direct traffic from 15.

Captain is very much up in the air with both King and Di Bartolo repeating year 12 and I have been told that may hinder there chances why I don’t know.

Lovetap and Sir Scrums Alot, you guys haven't paid enough attention to the 2019 16AS Waves team, that team beat all the CAS and GPS teams and got 11 in the CAS Rep team, and have never lost a CAS game, furthermore, this same team was the backbone to last years, 2020 CAS comp win, and now they are back.

A few didn't make the 1s last year because there were a few boys who where in year 12 and it was their 2nd or 3rd year in the 1s, BUT this is now their age group!

You appear to think the 2020 16as team will have a dominate position in this year 1s, they won't, the 2019 age group was stronger, and have a years experience in the opens, which is MUCH more difficult than the age groups.

For example, Alex Elder will the be the 1st 6/7 picked, the 13 I know well and will team up again as has always been the case with Aaron Dimo, and the 14 will be either Rohan Schocher or Fritzs younger brother.
SSA the rest of your team I think is pretty spot on, so there is 1 6/7 spot up for grabs, and there are many contenders. No 8 is a given, and the Captain IMO will be Manny.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Trinity lad, Edmed (fly-half i believe) on the bench for the Tah's tonight v Reds. Wearing 22, he might come up against O'Connor if he gets on early enough. Good luck son!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Trinity lad, Edmed (fly-half i believe) on the bench for the Tah's tonight v Reds. Wearing 22, he might come up against O'Connor if he gets on early enough. Good luck son!
Yep, came on as red card replacement and I think he acquitted himself well.

Sir Scrums-Alot

Frank Row (1)
Lovetap and Sir Scrums Alot, you guys haven't paid enough attention to the 2019 16AS Waves team, that team beat all the CAS and GPS teams and got 11 in the CAS Rep team, and have never lost a CAS game, furthermore, this same team was the backbone to last years, 2020 CAS comp win, and now they are back.

A few didn't make the 1s last year because there were a few boys who where in year 12 and it was their 2nd or 3rd year in the 1s, BUT this is now their age group!

You appear to think the 2020 16as team will have a dominate position in this year 1s, they won't, the 2019 age group was stronger, and have a years experience in the opens, which is MUCH more difficult than the age groups.

For example, Alex Elder will the be the 1st 6/7 picked, the 13 I know well and will team up again as has always been the case with Aaron Dimo, and the 14 will be either Rohan Schocher or Fritzs younger brother.
SSA the rest of your team I think is pretty spot on, so there is 1 6/7 spot up for grabs, and there are many contenders. No 8 is a given, and the Captain IMO will be Manny.

Agree with you, however knowing the Waverley style of play, wouldn't shock me to see them opt for a ball-playing 'link' in one of the back row jerseys. If Halakatoa or Elder can bring that into their game, they could end up as the 6 and 7. However in saying that, would not shock me to see only one of them start. In terms of the outside backs, it will be influenced by who they choose at 10, 12 and 15. E.g. Dimovitch was 12 last year, has also played wider before. Could Worthington be picked at 12 if Di Bartolo is picked at 10? Time will tell, and there are 3 or 4 different backline selections that I expect to see line up during the trials. Interesting to see which one ends up starting in Round 1 of the CAS season.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Agree with you, however knowing the Waverley style of play, wouldn't shock me to see them opt for a ball-playing 'link' in one of the back row jerseys. If Halakatoa or Elder can bring that into their game, they could end up as the 6 and 7. However in saying that, would not shock me to see only one of them start. In terms of the outside backs, it will be influenced by who they choose at 10, 12 and 15. E.g. Dimovitch was 12 last year, has also played wider before. Could Worthington be picked at 12 if Di Bartolo is picked at 10? Time will tell, and there are 3 or 4 different backline selections that I expect to see line up during the trials. Interesting to see which one ends up starting in Round 1 of the CAS season.

Yep, the trials will ultimately tell.
Given the size of the pack, I believe it will be very important to have a 6 or 7 who is quick to the breakdown/very mobile, that is why Elder is essential in my mind, in at least 1 flanker spot, the other spot is up for grabs imo.

In the backs, I have always believed that combinations are vital, eg the 2017 side, and you must have a 12 and 13 who are great defenders and both of these attributes have existed throughout all the age groups between the 2019 16AS centres, size is also a bonus. So I think Worthington should be 10 and this always been his real position. Manny is a great director, positional player, has plenty of experience, and can kick, so I see him at 15.

Time will tell, and I just hope the schools allow crowds back given the position we are in, and the fact that Big Bash games etc are allowed to have 10s thousands in attendance!

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
Yep, the trials will ultimately tell.
Given the size of the pack, I believe it will be very important to have a 6 or 7 who is quick to the breakdown/very mobile, that is why Elder is essential in my mind, in at least 1 flanker spot, the other spot is up for grabs imo.

In the backs, I have always believed that combinations are vital, eg the 2017 side, and you must have a 12 and 13 who are great defenders and both of these attributes have existed throughout all the age groups between the 2019 16AS centres, size is also a bonus. So I think Worthington should be 10 and this always been his real position. Manny is a great director, positional player, has plenty of experience, and can kick, so I see him at 15.

Time will tell, and I just hope the schools allow crowds back given the position we are in, and the fact that Big Bash games etc are allowed to have 10s thousands in attendance!

Would like to chip in. I agree trials will determine final selection for round 1 CAS and a great opportunity to gauge where players are at including those on the fringes. Elder should secure a back row spot along with King which leaves open 1 spot and I suggest a battle between Hogget and Halatokoua which I would imagine would come down to who has the biggest engine who I think will be Hogget. Worthington is my 10 because of last years form and rugby knowledge. I’m still convinced Quinn will get first shot at 12 because he is the second playmaker in the backline and controls a line well also the fact that he will be the backline leader 2022 I’m expecting coach Cornish knows this so would like to get some miles on the clock. Dimovitch in the middle has experience and apart from Di Bartolo is the senior in the line.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Would like to chip in. I agree trials will determine final selection for round 1 CAS and a great opportunity to gauge where players are at including those on the fringes. Elder should secure a back row spot along with King which leaves open 1 spot and I suggest a battle between Hogget and Halatokoua which I would imagine would come down to who has the biggest engine who I think will be Hogget. Worthington is my 10 because of last years form and rugby knowledge. I’m still convinced Quinn will get first shot at 12 because he is the second playmaker in the backline and controls a line well also the fact that he will be the backline leader 2022 I’m expecting coach Cornish knows this so would like to get some miles on the clock. Dimovitch in the middle has experience and apart from Di Bartolo is the senior in the line.

Fair enough LT,

The trials will tell. What I can assure you of is that size (and speed/skill) makes a BIG difference in the opens.

Quinn is in year 12 now so not around in 2022 (unless he repeats), and the coaches focus on winning in the current year, and I think you will find that there are boys who have played in the age group above, ie the 2019 16As group who you may not be aware of.

CouchPotato

Frank Row (1)
Fair enough LT,

The trials will tell. What I can assure you of is that size (and speed/skill) makes a BIG difference in the opens.

Quinn is in year 12 now so not around in 2022 (unless he repeats), and the coaches focus on winning in the current year, and I think you will find that there are boys who have played in the age group above, ie the 2019 16As group who you may not be aware of.

Your persistent efforts to get your son included in peoples projected teams is painful.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Your persistent efforts to get your son included in peoples projected teams is painful.

Nothing I or anyone on this forum say will make any difference to what happens, and no name has been mentioned.
What I have pointed out is historical fact and clearly some people don't know all those in contention.

If you are not going to make a constructive comment, then can you please not post nasty comments.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Nothing I or anyone on this forum say will make any difference to what happens, and no name has been mentioned.
What I have pointed out is historical fact and clearly some people don't know all those in contention.

If you are not going to make a constructive comment, then can you please not post nasty comments.

WLF, it is quit obvious you are, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to talk up your son on here, hell we all do it.

Don't take offence, own it and keep going. It is a very talented Waves side no doubt, if he makes it in then be proud of it, and tell the world. We all want what's best for our sons - and nothing wrong with pride. Vanity - yes, but pride - no.

Good luck to him, I hope he makes it.

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, it is quit obvious you are, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to talk up your son on here, hell we all do it.

Don't take offence, own it and keep going. It is a very talented Waves side no doubt, if he makes it in then be proud of it, and tell the world. We all want what's best for our sons - and nothing wrong with pride. Vanity - yes, but pride - no.

Good luck to him, I hope he makes it.

Ha WTF,

Won't be talking him up, can't be sure about others though from numerous schools, and actually nothing I have said is incorrect.
Trust we may bump into each other in Round 3 at Barker!

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Ha WTF,

Won't be talking him up, can't be sure about others though from numerous schools, and actually nothing I have said is incorrect.
Trust we may bump into each other in Round 3 at Barker!

More than likely....

CouchPotato

Frank Row (1)
No need to get defensive, there's no shame in it. We all do it sometimes. Some more than others. ;)

Reactions: WLF

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
WLF My apologises I was not aware that your son was in contention for a backline spot. My selection was purely on returning 1st players and some who were injured last season. Given that most of 2020 2nd XV have now left QP then selections would be made from the next best team incoming 16As. It’s rear that a 3rd XV player from the year before would be a walk up starter in 1st the following season ( although not impossible) but if said player was seen as a talent then surely he would of played higher last season regardless of whether there was a year 12 in the position he plays.
Again this is what trials are for so that staff can look at combinations and physical attributes and what a player can bring to a team. I wish your son luck during this period as he has a good a chance as everyone.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF My apologises I was not aware that your son was in contention for a backline spot. My selection was purely on returning 1st players and some who were injured last season. Given that most of 2020 2nd XV have now left QP then selections would be made from the next best team incoming 16As. It’s rear that a 3rd XV player from the year before would be a walk up starter in 1st the following season ( although not impossible) but if said player was seen as a talent then surely he would of played higher last season regardless of whether there was a year 12 in the position he plays.
Again this is what trials are for so that staff can look at combinations and physical attributes and what a player can bring to a team. I wish your son luck during this period as he has a good a chance as everyone.

All good LT,

Can't deny your logic.

What I can say is that sometimes it depends on a degree of luck, and by that I mean as follows.
Just say there were a number of 1sts and 2nds boys, in any school, who had returned for their 2nd or even 3rd year straight to fill the same spot that they had in the previous year/s, eg in the 1s and 2s, if you get my drift.
There were a number of boys from the 2019 16as who were in the 3rds last year, while some others from this same team made the 1s/2s because a particular position had not as much year 12 competition.

A good historical point in hand was the 2017 brilliant team, several came from the 3rds in the prior year, for that very reason.
Year 12 boys often, and I think justifiably deserve, priority, as long as the talent is close.

I think most positions are clear, a few are not, and the exact allocation of positions will be interesting.

The trials should make things as clear as possible, and there will be some very interesting trials between the CAS and GPS schools, particularly for Knox and Barker, probably more so than the Waves, time will tell.

Not too long now! and JUST HOPE that the crowds are allowed back for all schools, can't see why not.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
Another CAS old boy debuting in super rugby last night with Tom Nowlan from Aloys in 2015 and the Randwick rugby club getting some time off the bench for the Rebels against the Brumbies last night.