• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A double header of a Wallabies game in the afternoon before a B&IL game on a Brisbane winters day would be the closest I'll ever get to what Izzy would say is heaven.

Gees I would definitely be in the early queue for a lions game - would have to be a sellout even in Sydney...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't often agree with Clark, but his outgoing comments on Alan Jones are IMO HHHHHMMmmmmm correct, not that Clark has lead the place with astute management in fact I see him as part of the problem.

From Fairfax

Bitter and twisted’: Outgoing RA boss slams ‘vitriolic’ Alan Jones

Rob Clarke has left Rugby Australia with a bang, saying former Wallabies coach Alan Jones has lost credibility for repeated attacks on the game and “perpetuating false narratives”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ams-vitriolic-alan-jones-20210226-p5766q.html

Rob Clarke only saying what all other rugby supporter largely saying...good on him for speaking his mind as respect for Clarke for what he did to bring rugby from the abyss to have a better future with new broadcast deal and standing up to NZRU bullying means he is still welcome back for me anytime to take a leadership position in RA or the new version that might be created. Accept others differ on this view but lets leave that there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rob Clarke only saying what all other rugby supporter largely saying.good on him for speaking his mind as respect for Clarke for what he did to bring rugby from the abyss to have a better future with new broadcast deal and standing up to NZRU bullying means he is still welcome back for me anytime to take a leadership position in RA or the new version that might be created. Accept others differ on this view but lets leave that there.

No-one on the board who failed to stand up to Clyne should be given a free reign through that period of history. Clarke helped bring things back at the end which is welcome. But all in all I'm not unhappy to see his arse out the door.

Thank god that era is over. Well and truly time to move passed all individuals involved in rugby's nadir.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No-one on the board who failed to stand up to Clyne should be given a free reign through that period of history. Clarke helped bring things back at the end which is welcome. But all in all I'm not unhappy to see his arse out the door.

Thank god that era is over. Well and truly time to move passed all individuals involved in rugby's nadir.

Still some issues further down the chain before we can say we've moved on from that nadir, IMO. The professional game dodged the executioners bullet by a hair.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

giphy.gif

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As it's about to be announced that the Lions won't come to Aus this year, we've gotta respect some marvellous manoeuvring by RA. Credit where credit due. Always an absurd suggestion, hosting the Lions against SA in Australia. Like that would kill the spirit completely. But we got rugby talked about in a positive light during the off season, we got Australia looking generous and like we're willing to help out. And now, it's talked about almost like we actually missed out on something and were unlucky to do so. WR (World Rugby) might even owe Australia now.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
As it's about to be announced that the Lions won't come to Aus this year, we've gotta respect some marvellous manoeuvring by RA. Credit where credit due. Always an absurd suggestion, hosting the Lions against SA in Australia. Like that would kill the spirit completely. But we got rugby talked about in a positive light during the off season, we got Australia looking generous and like we're willing to help out. And now, it's talked about almost like we actually missed out on something and were unlucky to do so. WR (World Rugby) might even owe Australia now.

This!

Come here or not, we look good either way!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I said exactly that when it was first mentioned. Great promo Hamish, I know I was unpopular when I said it last year, but Hamish is from public relatuions and knows you don't have to actually always be truthful, just get in press. It works a treat and I bet 9/Stan love him for it too!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I said exactly that when it was first mentioned. Great promo Hamish, I know I was unpopular when I said it last year, but Hamish is from public relatuions and knows you don't have to actually always be truthful, just get in press. It works a treat and I bet 9/Stan love him for it too!
I don’t know what was untruthful about it. The idea was proposed and then rejected. Yes good PR but doesn’t mean it wasn’t truthful. Anything to stick the boot in

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

That’s not the reason your opinion was unpopular

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
A bit like your posts, eh? View attachment 12106
FFS I have said I know my club did same thing years ago when we did similar to get rugby in paper when we looking for sponsors. There is nothing wrong with using press, we all know it a great way to get your game promoted when you are struggling a bit. It's not untruthful what he did with Lions tour, same as his supposed comps he had last year involving Drua etc it gets the game looking positive in papers!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Rugby Australia are looking to get private equity involved in the game and have been talking to interested parties, including apparently Twiggy Forrest.

Just saying, I can hear the ground announcer at a Wallabies game going "Here are your RM Williams Wallabies" as they run out the pitch with gold jersey's on!