• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 7: Rebels v Reds

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course Victoria isn’t going to call a lockdown, we are all talking about Victoria locking out people from other states. You are sounding very silly with this argument.

This is the rugby equivalent of talking to an American about gun control, where the persons solution is more guns.
Yeah righto champ we should just call ourselves the west Sydney Rebels and be done with it. I am sure you would like that.

The reds made a lazy call by not coming down the quarantine requirements were simple they weren’t going to retrospectively change them. Especially as that would have flow on effects with the AFL. If they came Saturday or Sunday when they were code orange just like they should if they would of been on the track Monday and even under them being now upgraded to code red that would have been fine

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Understand you are passionate and feel slighted Rebel man , but not sure you are getting it .

The game will go ahead as per the broadcast deal. That’s number one .

Doesn’t matter how many COVID free days Victoria has , the issue is your government is more likely to close its borders ( red traffic light ) to someone than NSW is . The reality here is if a hub is required to finish Super Rugby AU , it’s most likely to be based to NSW.

Qld , WA and Vic governments have a hair trigger on closing borders .

The comp will run it’s course , how unfair you think it is for the Rebels won’t rate highly compared to compromising a newly signed broadcast deal . Which plenty now agree has been a good thing for rugby in Australia.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'd also point it it's not like the Reds are 'getting off scott free' or something, they were supposed to be in Sydney overnight ... they had to use Wallabies training gear because they didn't have training stuff. Sure the Rebs didn't get to say goodbye to family when they left earlier in the year, but they at least got to pack more than one pair of undies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’ve read some dumb shit on this forum over the years, but the last couple of pages of this thread might just take the cake.

I'm offended. A few salty Rebels fans surely isn't the worst take on this site. These forums have seen some shit.

Come on Victoria, hopefully if they all present negative they can play. I'm really looking forward to this.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Understand you are passionate and feel slighted Rebel man , but not sure you are getting it .

The game will go ahead as per the broadcast deal. That’s number one .

Doesn’t matter how many COVID free days Victoria has , the issue is your government is more likely to close its borders ( red traffic light ) to someone than NSW is . The reality here is if a hub is required to finish Super Rugby AU , it’s most likely to be based to NSW.

Qld , WA and Vic governments have a hair trigger on closing borders .

The comp will run it’s course , how unfair you think it is for the Rebels won’t rate highly compared to compromising a newly signed broadcast deal . Which plenty now agree has been a good thing for rugby in Australia.
Victoria momentarily shut the border to parts of NSW and that’s it they have maintained open borders the rest of the time. There has never been anything stopping them from coming here. They should of committed to it and got it done. People keep bringing up the broadcast deal but the game could have been staged in Melbourne not interrupting the boardcast deal at all.

Some organisations make it happen others put it in the too hard basket.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd also point it it's not like the Reds are 'getting off scott free' or something, they were supposed to be in Sydney overnight . they had to use Wallabies training gear because they didn't have training stuff. Sure the Rebs didn't get to say goodbye to family when they left earlier in the year, but they at least got to pack more than one pair of undies.
Not that expensive to go to Kmart and get a second pair of jocks. Also inside out back to front can get some mileage out of one pair. Also if you came to Melbourne you could of used the training field and all the kit at La Trobe and the Rebels stay at AAMI

Could be worse you could be the Lions having to do 3 weeks in Victoria with one in Geelong and one in Ballarat. Two places you would rather avoid

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The problem with going to Victoria is it's moving, they don't know what the Victorian Gov are going to do, and if they're going to be in impromptu tour for a while, Sydney is the peace to base yourself. They've got Rugby Austrlia there (handy given the pics today), NSW is the State most likely to have the least restrictions. My understanding is they're in a bubble in Sydney, but they've tested negative twice and haven't likely been exposed.

Going to Melbourne would mean moving. And moving into the unknown, it's up to the Victorian Gov if they're allowed in or not. But they're already in Sydney. Moving from Sydney could result in not being let back in to Sydney. But all in all staying put and waiting for more information is 100% the right call.

Ad others have said the game will go ahead as scheduled, it's up to the Vic Gov if that'll be in Melbourne (with the Reds likely flying in and out), or if it'll be somewhere else (likely Sydney, but could be Cairns, or Perth, or heck even Tasmania!). To think the Reds or Rugby Austrlia have any real power here is a joke. They're going to be subject to whatever the various State Govs decide and Rugby Austrlia (and the teams) will make it work.

Bottom line is if the Vic Gov don't want to let the Reds in them the game will be in Sydney (because apparently they will let anyone in!) but they'll probably let the Reds in life they're doing with the NRL.

But regardless of all the pre-game drama it should be a cracking game. I think the Reds age the better team (although apart from the Brumbies game they've been playing pretty poorly all things considered) so the Rebs have a great chance especially with a disrupted lead into the game.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If it can’t be played in Melbourne should be a forfeit. We have already been fucked around enough this season

A forfeit is based on an intention not to play.

A solution needs to be found, maybe a back door deal where the Rebels keep the gate for a game in Brisbane plus two home games next year could seal the deal.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Think it's more to do with rounds 2 and 4 then last year. Rebels had to fly to Brisbane the day of the game, had to return to ACT rather then return home. Rearrange one game to suit the others states rules etc. Think it's more the suggestion that we should now play in Sydney cause Brisbane has the virus that's annoying.

And if the game has to be moved to NSW, make it Albury or even ACT. That way I can drive from the campsite and be back by morning for Easter.

Totally agree, if a lockdown occurs then the State Rugby Unions should consider alternative parts of their states to play the games.

I hope QLD is allowed to play their upcoming home games at regional areas that have never had COVID-19 instead of interstate.

The COVID-19 issues are generally a Capital City based issue (at the moment), why cant the Reds home game against the brumbies be moved to Mt Isa, Cunnalmulla or Cairns?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If you Victorians can't play nice, we'll tell our Polish Princess to shut up shop to you over going to Noosa in your winter search for sun.

You'll be forced into Byron for your winter escape, do you want to share that with the Anti-Vax centre of Australia??????

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Totally agree, if a lockdown occurs then the State Rugby Unions should consider alternative parts of their states to play the games.

I hope QLD is allowed to play their upcoming home games at regional areas that have never had COVID-19 instead of interstate.

The COVID-19 issues are generally a Capital City based issue (at the moment), why cant the Reds home game against the brumbies be moved to Mt Isa, Cunnalmulla or Cairns?
Might pick up some new fans in Townsville seeing how poorly the Cowboys are going so far this season.

And they have a shiny new stadium up there ready to go.

#redstoregions

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The problem with going to Victoria is it's moving, they don't know what the Victorian Gov are going to do, and if they're going to be in impromptu tour for a while, Sydney is the peace to base yourself. They've got Rugby Austrlia there (handy given the pics today), NSW is the State most likely to have the least restrictions. My understanding is they're in a bubble in Sydney, but they've tested negative twice and haven't likely been exposed.

Going to Melbourne would mean moving. And moving into the unknown, it's up to the Victorian Gov if they're allowed in or not. But they're already in Sydney. Moving from Sydney could result in not being let back in to Sydney. But all in all staying put and waiting for more information is 100% the right call.

Ad others have said the game will go ahead as scheduled, it's up to the Vic Gov if that'll be in Melbourne (with the Reds likely flying in and out), or if it'll be somewhere else (likely Sydney, but could be Cairns, or Perth, or heck even Tasmania!). To think the Reds or Rugby Austrlia have any real power here is a joke. They're going to be subject to whatever the various State Govs decide and Rugby Austrlia (and the teams) will make it work.

Bottom line is if the Vic Gov don't want to let the Reds in them the game will be in Sydney (because apparently they will let anyone in!) but they'll probably let the Reds in life they're doing with the NRL.

But regardless of all the pre-game drama it should be a cracking game. I think the Reds age the better team (although apart from the Brumbies game they've been playing pretty poorly all things considered) so the Rebs have a great chance especially with a disrupted lead into the game.
There is literally no problem with coming to Melbourne, just get your tests done instead of waiting for the situation to worsen and become more complicated. The Vic government gives exemptions for the AFLW to go ahead when we were in lock down FFS.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
If you Victorians can't play nice, we'll tell our Polish Princess to shut up shop to you over going to Noosa in your winter search for sun.

You'll be forced into Byron for your winter escape, do you want to share that with the Anti-Vax centre of Australia??????
Why on earth would you go somewhere warm in winter? The winter months are the best

Reactions: Tex

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon Rebel man is giving the ACT crew and some of the unbalanced Perth members a run for their money in the most unhinged poster stakes.

And good on him. It's been a stale field for a few years, good to have some genuine one-eyed passion.
If we lose this game to interstate it will be the second time some of us Rebels fans have booked seats for Rugby Australia to cancel on us. All because the Reds wanted to stay in Sydney. It’s pathetic and rugby wonders why it struggles to attract new fans.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not sure how long you've been posting RM, but welcome to the plight of all of us who aren't members of the EAST COAST RUGBY ELITE!