• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don't forget Foxtel bleeds ratings every year so it's likely we would be even lower if we stayed. THe A League is regularly rating ~10,000 now, used to regularly do 30's and 40's on Fox

Looked at some of the A League ratings from this season and cannot see much of a future in its current guise.

So looking at that game with regionals and Stan it's probably looking at around the 150-200k mark. I think it's fair to say we're definitively the 3rd football code at present. Well ahead of Soccer.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Soccer has a huge fan base but the format of the A-League has been bungled like Super Rugby for a variety of different reasons

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Super Rugby AU 2021- Nine GEM
Averaging 81,800 on FTA
Highest figure was 97,000 in Rd 1(REDvTAH), and lowest figure was 65,000 Rd 5(REBvRED).

Super Rugby AU 2020 - Foxtel
Highest figure was 70,000 and lowest was 29,000, only 3 games cracked 60,000 all season.
Why are you only comparing FTA with Foxtel - it should be FTA + Stan to give a better picture

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Be interested to know what Stan viewing figures for club rugby are on Stan. Also wonder how many club rugby supporters signed up to Stan to watch games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If rugby going to get a profile I think they have to host the super rugby au final on the nine main channel. And also put some tv adds on for this. Sadly I don’t think this will happen but with potential reds and brumbies gf and if put on last weekends quality of game this would be the game to showcase

Nine / Stan management hence should seriously consider this as that is how they will grow the fan base and Stan sport subscribers

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
If rugby going to get a profile I think they have to host the super rugby au final on the nine main channel. And also put some tv adds on for this. Sadly I don’t think this will happen but with potential reds and brumbies gf and if put on last weekends quality of game this would be the game to showcase

Nine / Stan management hence should seriously consider this as that is how they will grow the fan base and Stan sport subscribers

Can someone provide the ratings figures for the 9 main channel for Saturday night? How does that compare to SRAU on Gem?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why does it have to go on the 'main channel'? GEM is in HD and available to everyone with FTA. We need to move away from the mindset that Australian FTA is only 5 main channels.

Could the branding improve? Yeh maybe. If they changed the name from GEM to Nine Sport or Channel 8, would that help?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If it did happen - not that I'm saying it would - then they'd also need to fix up (streamline) the pre-game. Reduce and spruce the length and content respectively.

Pictures of a half empty stadium with blokes doing warmups and tv presenters trying to stretch for half an hour is boring even for semi-tragic rugby nerds.

Need it short, sharp and showing action or people turn away. That's your long advertising slot - but 10 minutes max.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can someone provide the ratings figures for the 9 main channel for Saturday night? How does that compare to SRAU on Gem?

It was Mission Impossible playing at the same time on Channel 9, it didn’t rank in the top 20 so ratings aren’t provided, however it was less then 180,000

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think this makes very little difference these days. I don't think many people are scrolling from 2 to 10 through the channels and never going further. People use the guide to find shows and know that there are a lot more than 5 channels in total.

Why are you only comparing FTA with Foxtel - it should be FTA + Stan to give a better picture

It's similar to not knowing Kayo figures last year. At least Foxtel vs FTA is a like for like comparison.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
If it did happen - not that I'm saying it would - then they'd also need to fix up (streamline) the pre-game. Reduce and spruce the length and content respectively.

Pictures of a half empty stadium with blokes doing warmups and tv presenters trying to stretch for half an hour is boring even for semi-tragic rugby nerds.

Need it short, sharp and showing action or people turn away. That's your long advertising slot - but 10 minutes max.

The simple broadcasting fix is to have Stan come in for a 40 / 30 minute pre game and for the main 9 Channel to come in 10 mins before kick off.

We are about to get the first real test of what 9 really thinks of Rugby - Will they put the Reds GF on the main channel? The Broncos and Cowboys are actually playing at the same time on May 8 -- but I believe it's a Kayo only game because to my knowledge CH9 does not have Saturday night rights for NRL

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We are about to get the first real test of what 9 really thinks of Rugby - Will they put the Reds GF on the main channel? The Broncos and Cowboys are actually playing at the same time on May 8 -- but I believe it's a Kayo only game because to my knowledge CH9 does not have Saturday night rights for NRL

You wonder if they might do it in Brisbane but keep it on GEM in the other markets.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There's other factors to consider, and i don't know enough about tv broadcasting to konw whether these is even a consideration. But perhaps they want to keep it on the same channel(GEM) that it's been on all year. Especially since this isn't really the end of the season as far as Nine is concerned with the TT still to follow, they might consider whether they want to keep the rugby brand associated with GEM rather then moving it about.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Random observation: I think Michael Cheika is really good as an expert commentator. Comes in a couple of times a game with things I genuinely haven't seen, no cliches or obvious comments ('The Reds need to step up in defence' etc), and seems to actually watch the game really closely.

Hope he's there in the big Wallaby games.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Why does it have to go on the 'main channel'? GEM is in HD and available to everyone with FTA. We need to move away from the mindset that Australian FTA is only 5 main channels.

If thats the mindset of alot of the people on here, then its a fair chance its the mindset of the greater Australian viewing audience.

On the odd occasion I actually watch FTA tv, i'll very rarely go past the main few channels. Gem etc is reserved for tv re-runs and crappy movies