• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Random observation: I think Michael Cheika is really good as an expert commentator. Comes in a couple of times a game with things I genuinely haven't seen, no cliches or obvious comments ('The Reds need to step up in defence' etc), and seems to actually watch the game really closely.

Hope he's there in the big Wallaby games.

He asked a ripping question to Thorn after the Reds-Brumbies game. Talking about what was adjusted at half time, instead of asking the usual ‘so what did you tell the boys mate?’, he instead asked (I’m paraphrasing massively here) ‘what we you thinking, and from that what did you actually deliberately voice to the players? What was your halftime message trying to achieve?’ I thought it was such a great insight into the level of considered thinking a coach needs to constantly apply.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If thats the mindset of alot of the people on here, then its a fair chance its the mindset of the greater Australian viewing audience.

On the odd occasion I actually watch FTA tv, i'll very rarely go past the main few channels. Gem etc is reserved for tv re-runs and crappy movies
Yep and when you are selling to the masses you need to understand the behaviour of the masses. Most flick through main channels regularly and other channels less regularly for reasons you outline.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He asked a ripping question to Thorn after the Reds-Brumbies game. Talking about what was adjusted at half time, instead of asking the usual ‘so what did you tell the boys mate?’, he instead asked (I’m paraphrasing massively here) ‘what we you thinking, and from that what did you actually deliberately voice to the players? What was your halftime message trying to achieve?’ I thought it was such a great insight into the level of considered thinking a coach needs to constantly apply.

I admit being surprised but I actually like Cheika in the broadcast team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep and when you are selling to the masses you need to understand the behaviour of the masses. Most flick through main channels regularly and other channels less regularly for reasons you outline.

Is this what you do or is this what you assume people still do?

It feels like a lot of people are making assumptions about FTA viewer habits despite rarely fitting into that category themselves.

2/3/7/9/10 are SD channels. Surely the bulk of people own HDTVs at this stage and mostly use those channels. Unless you just stick to those SD channels you can't scroll through from one channel to the next without going through the secondary channels.

Almost all TVs come with a guide option plus everyone has smart phones. I really don't believe many people are just scrolling through those 5 channels looking for something to watch without actually working out what is on by looking at the guide or having a specific thing they know they want to watch.

There seems to be this theory that there are lots of potential rugby fans out there if only they happen to scroll past the right channel on a Saturday night. I think that is wishful thinking.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
My understanding of TV consumption habits is it varies by demo

If you're looking at the older/boomer demographic it's likely to sit on one channel and build trust in it over a long period of time, may also use TV guide to find stuff they're really keen on

Gen X is likely to surf a bit and find stuff they like with a higher propensity to change channel but still watches in decent time blocks

Younger generation turns on TV for one program only (usually MAFS), turns it off straight after and spends half the program on their phone anyway.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The channel itself shouldn’t matter as long as it’s on FTA it really comes down to brand association.

Nine have heavily aligned their Channel 9 programming with the NRL. I don’t think they’ll try and squeeze another sport into that.

There is nothing wrong with GEM being the rugby channel as long as they push all their content through it, the weekly game, the weekly review show, any future club games etc.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is this what you do or is this what you assume people still do?

It feels like a lot of people are making assumptions about FTA viewer habits despite rarely fitting into that category themselves.

2/3/7/9/10 are SD channels. Surely the bulk of people own HDTVs at this stage and mostly use those channels. Unless you just stick to those SD channels you can't scroll through from one channel to the next without going through the secondary channels.

Almost all TVs come with a guide option plus everyone has smart phones. I really don't believe many people are just scrolling through those 5 channels looking for something to watch without actually working out what is on by looking at the guide or having a specific thing they know they want to watch.

There seems to be this theory that there are lots of potential rugby fans out there if only they happen to scroll past the right channel on a Saturday night. I think that is wishful thinking.

Nope it is about well known marketing concept of real estate. You want exposure to the casual sports fan (that is what you are appealing to) you want to be on the main channel. That is the fact Jack and not going to get into Marketing 101 here.

It is about exposure at this point and less about expectations there is going to suddenly be a flood of people viewing the game because it is on the main channel. That is why suggested looking at Super Rugby AU final only as opportunity and realistically probably only for Brisbane FTA....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The channel itself shouldn’t matter as long as it’s on FTA it really comes down to brand association.

Nine have heavily aligned their Channel 9 programming with the NRL. I don’t think they’ll try and squeeze another sport into that.

There is nothing wrong with GEM being the rugby channel as long as they push all their content through it, the weekly game, the weekly review show, any future club games etc.

I agree positioning GEM as rugby destination channel is exactly what want to do but equally where opportunities to get on main channel for specific events that would be ideal as about exposure - ie casual sports fan sees it on main channel - advertised on main channel where higher number of viewers on etc - gets exposure and people hopefully curious over time to see what it is about

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nope it is about well known marketing concept of real estate. You want exposure to the casual sports fan (that is what you are appealing to) you want to be on the main channel. That is the fact Jack and not going to get into Marketing 101 here.

It is about exposure at this point and less about expectations there is going to suddenly be a flood of people viewing the game because it is on the main channel. That is why suggested looking at Super Rugby AU final only as opportunity and realistically probably only for Brisbane FTA..

I don't get this analogy though. I don't think there is substantially more exposure by being on the main channel these days because people aren't just skipping through the main channels on their remote.

More people watch the main channels because that is where the higher rating shows get put. The shows don't rate higher because they're placed on the main channels.

There is an argument that having Super Rugby directly follow A Current Affair which is one of the highest rating shows could boost ratings because there will be a significant number of people watching the channel immediately before the SRAU timeslot. We won't know how much of an effect that would have until/unless Channel 9 tries it.

My take is that the way people watch TV now is not flicking between 2/3/7/9/10. Most people have HD and the HD channels are in the numbers grouped with each channel's secondary channels.

There are actually a lot of channels on FTA TV now and just about everyone who is looking for something to watch is going to use the inbuilt guide function because that is the only reasonable way to look for things.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
More people watch the main channels because that is where the higher rating shows get put. The shows don't rate higher because they're placed on the main channels.

My take is that the way people watch TV now is not flicking between 2/3/7/9/10. Most people have HD and the HD channels are in the numbers grouped with each channel's secondary channels.

There are actually a lot of channels on FTA TV now and just about everyone who is looking for something to watch is going to use the inbuilt guide function because that is the only reasonable way to look for things.

Any evidence for any of this?

Also pretty surprised you think a large portion of people actually care enough about HD while watching FTA tv to bother doing the whole tv guide function to get to the appropriate stations

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't get this analogy though. I don't think there is substantially more exposure by being on the main channel these days because people aren't just skipping through the main channels on their remote.

There is an argument that having Super Rugby directly follow A Current Affair which is one of the highest rating shows could boost ratings because there will be a significant number of people watching the channel immediately before the SRAU timeslot. We won't know how much of an effect that would have until/unless Channel 9 tries it.

Again real estate - look at the first two pages of electronic TV guide and you will see all the main channels are on there and 9gem is not.The main channels also have higher rating programs and hence more people viewing and ideally if had say super rugby au final on that plus with TV adds for it on the main channel that would give ideal exposure. I really need to stop there as If you ask anyone in media they will be able to explain why being on main channels is important from exposure and reach perspective.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess the question to put to both of you is if we had one of the higher rating games (let's say a 90k game between the Reds and Tahs) on 9 as opposed to Gem, what sort of increase do you think we'd see?

My take is that it's going to be fairly modest. Maybe we get to 100-110k but I don't think it's going to be chalk and cheese.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I guess the question to put to both of you is if we had one of the higher rating games (let's say a 90k game between the Reds and Tahs) on 9 as opposed to Gem, what sort of increase do you think we'd see?

My take is that it's going to be fairly modest. Maybe we get to 100-110k but I don't think it's going to be chalk and cheese.

Depends on the baseline attraction to a casual fan. If it's a regular season game i'd say you're right, but the difference between that and having the final could be 100k viewers, if not more.

I do agree with the premise though that exposure gains from the main channel are nowhere near what they once were - they've been declining since the 90's realistically

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

It would be modest but benefit is would have more exposure If say ads on main channel as well - ie build awareness of rugby without actually those people seeing ads necessarily then watching. Idea is over time chip away with more exposure, good product etc, that over time see trend increase.

It is about staring to build a profile and get more exposure as people just seeing on tv
Guide in first couple of pages on TV guide without watching it is still exposure. As I reckon many people would still have low awareness super rugby is even on FTA (out of mind out of sight)

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

I don't think we're in a position to turn our nose up at a extra 100-110k, especially if those extra numbers are casual sport fans/potentially new fans

The question is, would we get more numbers on the main channel? I don't think anyone can realistically argue we wouldn't. In hich case, why the hell wouldn't we at least try to get a marquee game or two on there? At least Super final plus tests

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think we're in a position to turn our nose up at a extra 100-110k, especially if those extra numbers are casual sport fans/potentially new fans

The question is, would we get more numbers on the main channel? I don't think anyone can realistically argue we wouldn't. In hich case, why the hell wouldn't we at least try to get a marquee game or two on there? At least Super final plus tests

I was saying an extra 10-20k viewers by being on the main channel, not an extra 100k.

Absolutely I think we want to appear on the main channel wherever possible and certainly Bledisloe Tests at the bare minimum should be on there. Hopefully most tests plus the SRAU final will be on there.

My underlying point is that I don't think it will make a monumental difference like some are suggesting.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was saying an extra 10-20k viewers by being on the main channel, not an extra 100k.

Absolutely I think we want to appear on the main channel wherever possible and certainly Bledisloe Tests at the bare minimum should be on there. Hopefully most tests plus the SRAU final will be on there.

My underlying point is that I don't think it will make a monumental difference like some are suggesting.
But if it does make a small positive difference there's not harm in having a crack eh

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm really impressed at the level of Old Fart thinking on here. Reminds me of that time Foxtel thought they'd be bullet proof as the Home Of Rugby forever.

As for the TV Guide: depends entirely how you've set up your TV. If you arrange the channels to group by brand then they appear in that order. Personal preference of course, but what kind of moron just lets the TV set up the channels then doesn't immediately delete all the SD options?