• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Leaguies unless they are wing or fullback can’t make it in union. Forward skill set is much broader in Union, halves and centres league players are too bulky and game management is different. They can succeed at wing and fullback but will come with a limited or non existent kicking game.

Enough of the league players.

For a start Chrichton has union background (ex Scott’s). Secondly I can think of very talented league players who excelled in centres ie Israel Folau was not a bad 13. League players with union backgrounds are always worthy of discussion as they have history playing union, understand the rules etc

Alex Ross (28)
For a start Chrichton has union background (ex Scott’s). Secondly I can think of very talented league players who excelled in centres ie Israel Folau was not a bad 13. League players with union backgrounds are always worthy of discussion as they have history playing union, understand the rules etc
Folau was a rubbish 13

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Leaguies unless they are wing or fullback can’t make it in union. Forward skill set is much broader in Union, halves and centres league players are too bulky and game management is different. They can succeed at wing and fullback but will come with a limited or non existent kicking game.

Enough of the league players.

Angus will pick it up pretty quick. He still looks like a union player playing league. He just needs to be played in the right position, which is probably #20 at both levels.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)

So was Tepai Moeroa an Australia schoolboy. Not sure that Folau was much chop as a centre.

Yeah let’s sign up a league player on top dollars who hasn’t hit a ruck, run a play of a set piece scrum or line out (doesn’t happen too risky on first tackle in league), counter attacked of a kick return (too risky first tackle again) and probably hasn’t kicked in general play (too risky to kick return or kick early in the tackle count) and probably hasn’t had to strategically think during a game.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Folau was a rubbish 13

Folau would have been a fantastic 13 had he been given the opportunity. The only reason he didn't play there was because he was literally too good under the high ball and teams didn't want to sacrifice that strength.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So was Tepai Moeroa an Australia schoolboy. Not sure that Folau was much chop as a centre.

Yeah let’s sign up a league player on top dollars who hasn’t hit a ruck, run a play of a set piece scrum or line out (doesn’t happen too risky on first tackle in league), counter attacked of a kick return (too risky first tackle again) and probably hasn’t kicked in general play (too risky to kick return or kick early in the tackle count) and probably hasn’t had to strategically think during a game.

There are a few league players who are exceptions as such talented athletes who can make the cross over but very few and far between for reasons you outline. Matt Rogers was another good example who played across the backline including fly half in his last season with the Tahs. But the key bit of my message was really I am only interested in going after league players who have ex union backgrounds and otherwise less interested in going after league players without any union pedigree (hence chrichton qualifies as player of interest). Tepai was Australian Schoolboy but to me he just is case of a player who probably was not necessarily talented enough to make the jump at next level as was on the decline in league as well so less of a good signing.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

You can mitigate the risk of signing a dud league player in obvious ways though;
1. Have they played and excelled at union before
2. Are they currently in the upper echelons of league when you sign them

Crichton ticks both those boxes; the failed ones (e.g. Moeroa) generally don't

Alex Ross (28)
Folau would have been a fantastic 13 had he been given the opportunity. The only reason he didn't play there was because he was literally too good under the high ball and teams didn't want to sacrifice that strength.
He was tried there and he was terrible. Completely lost

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He was tried there and he was terrible. Completely lost

Completely untrue - he was solid and would have become close to world class.

Terrible is how you describe some of the 13s that have been running around for the 'tahs in 2020.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Angus will pick it up pretty quick. He still looks like a union player playing league. He just needs to be played in the right position, which is probably #20 at both levels.

I would rather the money is spent on someone who the Tahs know can play (because they have played union sometime in the last five years) rather than ‘looks’ like they could make it in union.

Would you go to a Doctor to be treated for a serious illness who hadn’t updated their knowledge in the last five years.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
The tahs need to fill just 4 slots to improve the squad to the point where they are contenders again.....

Dominant Tighthead x 2 so we can push HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back to LH. One of the Argies would have been a great start..
XXL Rock Crushing Lock x 1..... enter Arnold/Skelton/Coleman or even Timani?
Large line bending centre x 1..... Kerevi would solve that problem quite nicely
X Factor outside back x 1... either jet shoes or XXL to replace the Folau/Naiyavorovo threat. I'd love Tom Wright as an example

This would be a very useful squad...

Bell/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Porecki/Horton
XXXXX/XXXXX????? Medrano?
Rory Arnold/Skelton A N Other/ Kiwi Caird
Douglas/Williams
Swinton/Hanigan
Hooper/Tizzano
Rabhoni WV/Harris
Gordon/Grant
Harrison/Edmed
Ramm/Mark W
Kerevi/Walton
Foketi/Perese
Perese/Newsome
Wright/Maddocks

5 top quality signings and we're back baby!! :cool:

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

He really does, you can also see he’s an intelligent footballer unlike a lot of the guys he’s playing with/against in the NRL. His running lines are near perfect and his ball playing is more than adequate

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would rather the money is spent on someone who the Tahs know can play (because they have played union sometime in the last five years) rather than ‘looks’ like they could make it in union.

Would you go to a Doctor to be treated for a serious illness who hadn’t updated their knowledge in the last five years.
You must not know much about Angus chrichtons age and background

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He really does, you can also see he’s an intelligent footballer unlike a lot of the guys he’s playing with/against in the NRL. His running lines are near perfect and his ball playing is more than adequate
I would sign Angus Chrichton in a heart beat and I reckon RA would too. He has indicated wants a crack at rugby in the past in terms of wallaby ambitions as he was always touted as one that got away union wise but he knows will drop lot money cf what paid in league so hence likely to be later in his career ie maybe target 2023 RWC. If does not look to come over by 2023 I reckon he should stay in league.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
You must not know much about Angus chrichtons age and background

Yeah I do, he hasn’t played a game of rugby union since 2014.

Let him go play a season in French D2 or Japan, if his still any good he will prove himself. Happy for the Waratahs then to sign and throw some serious coin.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The tahs need to fill just 4 slots to improve the squad to the point where they are contenders again...

Dominant Tighthead x 2 so we can push HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) back to LH. One of the Argies would have been a great start..
XXL Rock Crushing Lock x 1... enter Arnold/Skelton/Coleman or even Timani?
Large line bending centre x 1... Kerevi would solve that problem quite nicely
X Factor outside back x 1. either jet shoes or XXL to replace the Folau/Naiyavorovo threat. I'd love Tom Wright as an example

This would be a very useful squad.

Bell/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Porecki/Horton
XXXXX/XXXXX????? Medrano?
Rory Arnold/Skelton A N Other/ Kiwi Caird
Douglas/Williams
Swinton/Hanigan
Hooper/Tizzano
Rabhoni WV/Harris
Gordon/Grant
Harrison/Edmed
Ramm/Mark W
Kerevi/Walton
Foketi/Perese
Perese/Newsome
Wright/Maddocks

5 top quality signings and we're back baby!! :cool:

Thinking 3 @ Starter level would do
Prop, Lock, Wing - all big boppas please

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

He could not pass the bloody ball. Or would not. Other than that he might have been okay. But at least he would not have had to kick the ball. He could not do that either.

He could jump, fantastically well, and he could run. He could defend okay. Other than that he was pretty ordinary.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah I do, he hasn’t played a game of rugby union since 2014.

Let him go play a season in French D2 or Japan, if his still any good he will prove himself. Happy for the Waratahs then to sign and throw some serious coin.
Nah seen him play in origin and with union pedigree background as schoolboy I would take the risk. I get a little frustrated sometimes that people think there is depth of talent waiting to join rugby. There isn’t and hence player like Crichton with union background who has been smashing it in league you should consider if price is right. He also brings added benefit of profile which union also needs and hence lowers the commercial risk as likely to attract league fans who are casual sports watchers to check in to see how he plays.

We can’t afford to not look at players in league but equally need to be selective. We will get some right and some wrong, but have in past benefited from league players crossing over. Most of the issues with league players been off field issues.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He could not pass the bloody ball. Or would not. Other than that he might have been okay. But at least he would not have had to kick the ball. He could not do that either.

He could jump, fantastically well, and he could run. He could defend okay. Other than that he was pretty ordinary.

Finishing wasn't bad either.