• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 8 - Reds v Brumbies

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Why cant throwing to the front be a third lineout option?

It only really works as attacking ball for a dart down the sideline and if you start doing that a lot defences will be ready for it. Need options further back that you can set a maul off of or deliver quick ball to the backs from.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
It only really works as attacking ball for a dart down the sideline and if you start doing that a lot defences will be ready for it. Need options further back that you can set a maul off of or deliver quick ball to the backs from.
Yeah I can only really get away with it for one or two throws.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I finally got around to watching the game.........

A frustrating one for the Brumbies, because unlike the previous matchup I felt that they seemed to actually be the better team for a large part of the match, but this year they're just not closing out matches like they used to...........

And it's likely that these teams will be going up against it in the final, so the Brumbies will need to start lifting in that last 20 mins as they'll be going up against a Reds team with an improved wider squad and home advantage.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I disagree on Marika. He really doesn't offer as much assistance to his fullback as either of Petaia and Banks. And his one great strength is his running game, but even there he as often as not finishes up getting himself and his team into trouble by getting isolated near the sideline and then throwing a hail mary back inside which can, and does, end up in the opposition hands. For every game he shines, he seems to have a couple of pretty ordinary outings. Not sold, I'm afraid.

You really have a thing for John Eales medalists, don't you BR.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
MK's workrate is exceptional and he is a great athlete, however at the same time there is a certain awkwardness to nearly everything he does. His passing and kicking does not look remotely natural.

I don't care. Give the ball to him 5m out in space and he's scoring every time. Give the ball to him 5m out with one defender and he's scoring there. Give the ball to him 5m out next to the ruck and he might score there, too.

I'm all for intelligent footballers with all the skills, but there's a time and a place for a fast, physical bastard who is just impossible to bring down. That time is test footy, and that man is Marika Koroibete.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I don't care. Give the ball to him 5m out in space and he's scoring every time. Give the ball to him 5m out with one defender and he's scoring there. Give the ball to him 5m out next to the ruck and he might score there, too.

I'm all for intelligent footballers with all the skills, but there's a time and a place for a fast, physical bastard who is just impossible to bring down. That time is test footy, and that man is Marika Koroibete.

I get it but sometimes you want athletes and footballers - that's generally where the All Blacks get it right.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also how is Koro not a footballer, the man has great timing. He’s almost had as many try saving tackles as he’s had miraculous breaks.

Probably not the time to drop this truth bomb but I often feel people on here subconsciously associate whiter players with higher rugby IQ and criticise islanders for not having “rugby smarts”. Islander players get tagged with almost brutish terms that downplay their intelligence and up play their “natural” & “raw” abilities.

More Anglo Saxon players get “smart kid with his head screwed on” etc etc.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
He's a smart footballer for different reasons than what people would usually describe. He makes tackles, hits rucks, breaks tackles, catches passes, and seeks involvement when he's not getting enough ball. For a winger, that sounds pretty smart to me

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also how is Koro not a footballer, the man has great timing. He’s almost had as many try saving tackles as he’s had miraculous breaks.

Probably not the time to drop this truth bomb but I often feel people on here subconsciously associate whiter players with higher rugby IQ and criticise islanders for not having “rugby smarts”. Islander players get tagged with almost brutish terms that downplay their intelligence and up play their “natural” & “raw” abilities.

More Anglo Saxon players get “smart kid with his head screwed on” etc etc.

It's definitely a thing. Sorry to derail the thread (though the match was a week ago), but I found a guy like Wycliff Palu fell victim to this a bit.

A lot of people knocked him because he didn't play the way they felt a big Islander 8 should play - a lot of carries, rolling over people, scoring tries. But he was a workhorse type that didn't really conform to that stereotype, though he could belt people when he wanted to.

Wingers are where it hits here, we tend to see white wingers as thinkers/kickers and islander wingers as bruisers/speed machines. It's true in some cases, but not all.